User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #196
Mike V.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Apt13,

It caught my eye also and spoke with the owner of the very nice R65 (I'm horrible with names). He fabricated that from an existing plexiglass screen and also fabricated the aluminum arms from bar stock material at the handlebar attachments. He did a very nice job, especially the cutting of the plexiglass with a rotary tool showing almost no spider marks. He claims the function is very pleasing as it takes a lot of the turbulance away from the instrument pod.

-Mike V.
ABC-MOA-AMA
http://tinyurl.com/4df7hgs
Mike V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #197
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by apt13 View Post
any better photos of the little flyscreen on that brown bike? i'm obsessed with putting a flyscreen on mine for some reason, haha.
I know, right?! It is awesome. Mike and I chatted Tim up about his fly screen: He modded an existing windshield and fabricated the little arms that hold it to the handlebars. It attaches to the standard mirror holes, but as you can see he has bar-ends. He says it really helps.

www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #198
apt13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
whoa, attaches to the mirror holes. perfect! never would have thought about that. i've been trying to get something going with the headlight bolts, with one being the ignition so would need to be bigger, etc etc. very clever. i dig it. i want it.
Airhead Tshirts!
apt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #199
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,100
Whoa, fishboy! It's Monday, let's go easy on those fisheye photos....

Quick check on clutch cable adjustment-- if you can pull back on the cable end and just about unclip it from the clutch arm at the tranny, it's close to good. If you don't have any slack, or too much, fiddle with the adjustment. The cable is easy to adjust, and real sensitive.

Looks like a great tech day-- thanks for sharing.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #200
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,873
Tim's R65 with the LS bars & custom screen

Like, totally cannot see the important bracket bits in this pic.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #201
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post

In this photo it looks like the bracket goes from the flyscreen to an adapter screwed into the mirror mount. Would be the same thing on the other side. The part on the flyscreen looks like a ball joint and the part holding the rod in the mirror mount threads looks like a mini handlebar clamp. Can you see it now?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #202
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

I went and did it. I dropped my transmission off with Paul at BMW Motorcycles of Escondido. He came very highly recommended by a local guru. His initial impression was that it was worth rebuilding, but just incase he's only going to crack open the case and perform a better inspection at first. Then, if still warranted, we'll do a full rebuild. fingers crossed it only needs bearings and seals...
www.blindfishz.com
Old 04-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #203
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Congratulations.

Good Luck.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 04-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #204
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

i already have news.

I was a bit shocked this morning. Jack, the BMW service manager calls to tell me $1100 and then passed me off to Paul to explain it to me and it IS a pretty standard rebuild - bearings and seals PLUS he needs to replace my clutch rod and piston. Renner had seen the piston was REALLY worn, and Paul said the rod was damn near rusted through.

I took a quick look at realOEM and I DID add a bunch of parts up to $500 (i know there has been some recent discussion about the accuracy of realOEM's prices, but i figure it is close enough)

01 ROD 1 09/1980 23131232089 $38.42
02 FELTRING 1 09/1980 23211230440 $3.97
03 Washer 1 09/1980 23131232088 $19.71
04 NEEDLE CAGE 23X6X2 1 09/1980 23131232079 $29.05
05 Piston 1 09/1980 23131232087 $73.42
06 Gasket ring 1 09/1980 21521020109 $6.45
07 Cup 1 09/1980 21511230109 $13.03

01 CYLINDRICAL ROLLER BEARING,RADIAL 47X38X26 1 23211235449 $114.41
11 GROOVED BALL BEARING 52X20X15 1 23121231495 $27.14
15 GROOVED BALL BEARING 20X52X15 2 23121233808 $36.58
04 GROOVED BALL BEARING 62X17X17 1 23121338795 $60.12
17 GROOVED BALL BEARING 52X20X15 1 23121231495 $27.14

just the bearings are $300:(

Labor is still just the $550. I guess i have to do it.

I think Renner is driving up with me after work to see it cracked open and to watch me cry as i give the authorization to finish the rebuild...
www.blindfishz.com
Old 04-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #205
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

I was just IM'ing with my wife and explaining to her about the transmission rebuild, and ended with:

Quote:
me: but after this, the tranny will be good to go for as long as I own the bike I bet
Quote:
wife: lol
tranny
lol
your bike used to be a man
and this is why i love her.
www.blindfishz.com
Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #206
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Renner and I got a quick tour of the disassembled transmission. Paul
certainly seemed to know his stuff.

anyway, the parts list he told me on the phone is legit and I
authorized them to proceed. I should have the tranny back next week!
So now I just have to get my sh!t together and order parts for the oil
pump/clutch work... I'll probably email the Beemershop tomorrow...

some pics:

the magical elves seem to be missing.

Paul had already wire wheeled the shaft, but you can see some pitting between the forks

that little plastic bushing is majorly deformed and will be replaced

clutch rod is very corroded and will be replaced.

you can see the pitting on the teeth, but Paul isn't worried about this.
www.blindfishz.com
Old 04-26-2012, 02:11 AM   #207
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,100
You're taking a reasonable approach. Water in the tranny oil (that happens), bearings starting to fail and it was a matter of time before the clearances, preloads, etc went south and the gears started to wear and fail. It wasn't if, it was when, and you just saved a bunch in replacement parts.

Quote:
and this is why i love her.
She'll probably be around as long as the bike will. Good show...
Old 04-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #208
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

hey team! happy friday! to celebrate i have questions - mostly cosmetic but related to performance...

Toaster.Tan top braces. they seem to be universally accepted as awesome. I'm going to get one:) But I can't decide what to do about a few things:

headlight brackets - I happen to love the stock airhead headlights and brackets. but with a T.T top brace you have to trim them down OR go aftermarket.

handlebars - if you've been poking around recently, you'll probably have seen the awesomely engraved (CNC routed) logos in the T.T top braces. But to maximize the potential of a logo you have to get rid of the stock holes. This means clip-on bars. I'm exploring this logo option with my graphic designer (wife).

instruments - if you don't have any holes in the top brace then you don't have a way to mount the instrument cluster.

my dilemma really boils down to the instrument cluster. I can find (am taking recommendations for!) new headlight brackets and clip on bars, but I struggle with the idea of changing the instruments. electrical stuff is my weakest area (that's saying something since I'm weak at everything right now!), so I'm intimidated by the thought of having to rewire a new instrument cluster. I also don't know how to choose a new instrument. I'd like to keep the "idiot" lights, and still have a tach, but i don't know that I understand the gen light problem and of course I'd still have to mount them somewhere. i've seen the Acewell thread, but I don't think I want to go that route.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? I know the bike won't be a pure resto, but I'm ok with that - it was never my intention to go all original.

thanks all! have a great weekend! Renner is off to the races and Mike and I are going to an English pub. good times!:)

Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 04-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #209
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I think TT is calling the no hole top brace a /5 item since the gauges are not in a pod. Since you don't have a /5 it's not intended for your bike. Of course anything can be made to work given the right inspiration and enough money and time.

Cut the headlight ears. Both ends get cut instead of all the reduction being at one end. Maybe somebody here offers a service to cut the ears for us? I don't know.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #210
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

i've exchanged a few emails with TT - custome stuff can be done:) but should it!? that is the question;)

I was thinking about this, and really, if i need to find a mounting solution to a different speedo, i might just as easily figure something out to mount the stock cluster...

something for me to ponder this weekend.
www.blindfishz.com