Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #23851
Scurley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
sometimes there isn't much choice unless you want to backtrack for miles.
True, but I'll happily backtrack for hundreds of rides in order to avoid a single encounter like the one above.

I can't imagine that the FL rednecks are any worse than the drivers we have around here, who often lack respect for their fellow motorists, let alone cyclists. That's why, on my rides, I figure out which neighborhood streets will ultimately connect to my intended destination. Sure, residential roads lack the upkeep that the main roads do and it's often a pain to remember which unremarkable street corner it is that I'm supposed to turn on (was that Junebug or Juneberry?), but it all pays off when I'm the one slowly passing the cars instead of them flying past my left ear.

I should note, though, that this all changes whenever I go back home to SoCal. It's just different there. I guess folks understand that cyclists, too, have their spot on the road.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #23852
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
I'd hazard to guess that somewhere that driver is posting in a "cyclists on the road"
rant thread.
yeah. That thread's up in 'Perfect Line...'

Some seriously atavistic people on MCs these days.

M
Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #23853
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurley View Post
True, but I'll happily backtrack for hundreds of rides in order to avoid a single encounter like the one above.

I can't imagine that the FL rednecks are any worse than the drivers we have around here, who often lack respect for their fellow motorists, let alone cyclists. That's why, on my rides, I figure out which neighborhood streets will ultimately connect to my intended destination. Sure, residential roads lack the upkeep that the main roads do and it's often a pain to remember which unremarkable street corner it is that I'm supposed to turn on (was that Junebug or Juneberry?), but it all pays off when I'm the one slowly passing the cars instead of them flying past my left ear.

I should note, though, that this all changes whenever I go back home to SoCal. It's just different there. I guess folks understand that cyclists, too, have their spot on the road.
How long have you been riding?

I can tell you from personal experience that drivers are idiots wherever you go. In the city. Out in the country. Everyeffingwhere. you get used to it. I ignore a lot of stuff. Have for the last 20 years. It takes something pretty egregious to get me worked up.

...or eff with the GF while we're out riding. Quickest way to get me spun up far enough to want to rip someone out of the car and beat the snot out of em. ...and I'm not normally an angry/violent person.

M
Old 04-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #23854
Scurley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Back in the middle and high school days I used to ride my mountain bikes across town all the time and hit up the mountain trails at least every other weekend. I was probably putting down, I don't know, maybe 50-75 miles a week. This was in '98-'03 or so.

I've gotten back into riding these last 3 years in a 'here and there' sense, but have really been trying to ride at every opportunity for the last 6 months. I'm probably putting down a little over 150 miles a week. Basically, I've converted my commuting time every day into workout time. It helps to have clean clothes already stored at the destination.

You say that "you get used to it," to which I agree, but that doesn't mean that I'm not going to take steps to minimize my encounters with such people.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #23855
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

I can tell you from personal experience that drivers are idiots wherever you go. In the city. Out in the country. Everyeffingwhere. you get used to it. I ignore a lot of stuff. Have for the last 20 years. It takes something pretty egregious to get me worked up.

...or eff with the GF while we're out riding. Quickest way to get me spun up far enough to want to rip someone out of the car and beat the snot out of em. ...and I'm not normally an angry/violent person.

M
I've ridden just about everywhere on the East coast and even around Pennsylvania and Ohio. What I find is very different about the typical Florida driver is the attitude of entitlement and contempt for everyone else on the road. There is no such thing as courtesy here. I thought at first that I was just imagining it, until I started car pooling with some others I work with. Then it became clear to me that rather than take simple steps to avoid an accident, the Florida driver is more interested in what happens after the accident occurs -- that is, who is likely to win the civil case when it goes to court.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #23856
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 865
Since we've got the pitchforks and torches out...

Old 04-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #23857
Noreaster
Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Since we've got the pitchforks and torches out...

Dude! Was that you? What happened next? What was the excuse?

" I hate to burst bubbles, but the Last Frontier is paved..." JRMosley
2005 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom
2005 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #23858
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
Dude! Was that you? What happened next? What was the excuse?
Not me. This happened very recently in the Berkeley Hills. There's a concerted effort being made via the Interwebz find the car and its douchenozzle pilot.

Edit: The car has been found, but the douchenozzle is still at large.
http://sfist.com/2012/04/27/berkeley...turns_up_i.php

Edit Pt. 2: Douchnozzle in custody.
http://berkeley.patch.com/articles/a...uspatc00000001

TheNedster screwed with this post 04-28-2012 at 04:09 PM Reason: Breaking news
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #23859
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,369
Man, that Florida video is scary. I remember piloting a Harley through Florida and feeling threatened. Biking must be an adventure.

In America I lived in Madison Wisconsin and Seattle. Both very bike friendly in comparison to many other places. Helsinki is bicycling paradise. At a minimum we get our own lane in traffic, clearly marked, but on main routes they set us up on grade separated paths. My work commute is on a path nearly 1.5 car lanes wide for most of its lengh, limited cross path access, graded for speed and intended to allow two lanes of bike travel per direction with room for pedestrians. It's like heaven for bicycling. Of the 12 miles each way o work, I don't need to share lanes with cars and my only encounters with them are at cross walks. And car drivers are very courteous.

I think overall thugh it's the best solution to build separate bike paths. I know some bicyclists who claim this is relegating bikes to second class status, but in my opinion a separate bike path allows us to attain better speeds in safety.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:58 AM   #23860
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
Man, that Florida video is scary.
According to the news last night, they've found the driver of that car.

Quote:
I think overall thugh it's the best solution to build separate bike paths. I know some bicyclists who claim this is relegating bikes to second class status, but in my opinion a separate bike path allows us to attain better speeds in safety.
I never ride my bike on the street, not just out of concern for my personal safety, but because these kinds of vehicles can't compete with motorized traffic. Bicycles get in everyone's way (especially when riding in groups), and they're too difficult to see. Adding to the danger/nuisance is the fact that bicyclists routinely ignore the rules of the road, which is the reason they're despised by everyone else who has to use public streets.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #23861
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,294
To relegate bikes to their own path is to open the gate for a flood of
bike/pedestrian conflict.

A pair of seniors out for a stroll or a teen with earbuds can be unpredictable.
I would rather take my chances on the road than run the risk of hitting a pedestrian.

Also consider that some cities (Calgary for sure) try to enforce a speed limit on trails that see heavy
commuter traffic.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #23862
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
To relegate bikes to their own path is to open the gate for a flood of
bike/pedestrian conflict.
Look up kvetches from walkers, etc on the Washington and Old Dominion trail here in DC.

Quote:
A pair of (anyone) out for a stroll or a(n) (anyone) with earbuds can be unpredictable.
I can't tell you how many times I've been JRA on the W&OD coming up on a jogger only to have em stop, turn around, and start running back at me without checking to see what's coming. Pretty much every time you pass someone its a white-knuckle occasion because you just don't know what they're about to do. Even yelling 'passing!' or 'on your left' isn't a sure thing. If I see earbuds I generally don't bother. IME they aren't listening to anything outside their little world anyway.

Don't get me started on dog on leashes across the whole trail. ...or kids... or...

Quote:
I would rather take my chances on the road than run the risk of hitting a pedestrian.
Cars are at least semi-predictable. I'm with you. It seems that once people get on a MUT they turn off their brains because 'its safe.'

Quote:
Also consider that some cities (Calgary for sure) try to enforce a speed limit on trails that see heavy commuter traffic.
Pretty much every MUT I've ever been on has a 15mph limit. That's less than my cruising speed. So again: I'll stick to the roads where its safer.

M
Old 04-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #23863
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,294
Funny thing, there is no law requiring a speedometer on a bicycle.
I would contend that I have no idea what 15mph feels like as apparent wind etc are never
constant. Stupid laws that can only really be forced on stupid people.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #23864
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,410
As a teenager, I pedalled coast to coast from Seattle, WA to Washington, DC.

As a bicycle messenger, I've workd in large metro areas such as SF, NYC, etc..

I've received many "door prizes", "cold ones" and countless vehicles have cut me off in traffic.

I feel that it should be part of the requirements for driver's license to have everyone ride a bicycle on public roads for a period of a month or 500 mile distance before receiving their driving privileges.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #23865
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,865
Here, Here!
Then proceed to the motorcycle side of the planet for a year.
They live through that they can drive.

I was once run off a two lane, no shoulder road by a lowboy hauling a giant CAT. I Took to the ditch to avoid the overhanging blade. The road was 35 mph and I was only doing about 26, but he was only slightly faster, so I was able to get the plate off the trailer and the name off the CAT. I turned tail and pedaled the mile or so back to the small town, stopped the county Sheriff and made my complaint. Nothing ever came of it I'm sure, but I did notice when I rode back, (my only way home) The truck was stopped at the side of the freeway by the CHP.
They impoved another road with a slight shoulder so my route changed to that.

Once had some high school kids toss a soda out their window on me as they passed. I caught up with them at the door to the school. In spite of the hill. And told them we would be talking to the principal. Their parents got to come to school and pick them up, and explain to the school officials and deputy what had gone on. I did not press charges as that probably have gone nowhere, but the school removed them from being able to drive to school. I'm sure mommies and daddies were pissed. They did not seem happy when they arrived.
I worked just over the hill from the school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
As a teenager, I pedalled coast to coast from Seattle, WA to Washington, DC.

As a bicycle messenger, I've workd in large metro areas such as SF, NYC, etc..

I've received many "door prizes", "cold ones" and countless vehicles have cut me off in traffic.

I feel that it should be part of the requirements for driver's license to have everyone ride a bicycle on public roads for a period of a month or 500 mile distance before receiving their driving privileges.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: