User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
zeeede OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
Farkling a 2012 Vstrom 1000

Through an interesting set of circumstances, my buddy and I both ended up buying 2012 Vees, from the same dealer, at the same time (fortunately we were able to negotiate quite a discount ).

I've had my bike on the road for 8 days and all ready have close to 700 miles on it. My first "farkle" was a Bestem 929 T-Box that the guys over on the stromtrooper rave about. Well, needless to say, I was pretty disappointed. I expected to have to drill holes in the "universal" bracket and buy new hardware (shorter bolts). Even with the new hardware, the bolts were too long so I had to space the luggage rack with washers. Finally I get the bracket mounted, put the luggage rack back on the bike, and button everything up. I stick the top case on the bike and think "Meh, doesn't look too bad". Go to take the top case off, and... it's stuck! I worked on it for an hour and a half and couldn't get it off. In the process, the latch that holds the top closed broke, as well:

So now I have a top box that won't latch stuck on my bike. I bungee-netted it closed so I could get to work the next day. A mechanic I work with and I were able to get the top box off then (breaking the mechanism that latches to the bike in the process). Needless to say, it's waiting for the UPS guy to ship it back as we speak. Fortunately, I bought it through Amazon, so returns shouldn't be a problem.

Now onto the good stuff... last night I installed my Givi crash bars and Enduro Guardian skid plate.

Here's my garage. I live in a two family and share the garage with my upstairs neighbor. Can you tell which side is mine?

The crash bar install went fine. Removing the hex-head bolts on the sides were a bit of a bear (came dangerously close to stripping one). Those suckers were in there! I wasn't super impressed with the welds on the Givi bars, but I didn't have any alignment problems or anything. They seem sturdy enough, and for $137 shipped, were my cheapest option by far.

After getting crash bars installed I took a quick break to whip up some dinner. Not Safe for Vegetarians:

Then it was on to the skid plate. The rear of the skid plate is supported by a beefy bracket that mounts up at the kickstand bolts on the left side and the exhaust mount on the right side. The front bolts to the crash bars. Holy cow, getting those kickstand bolts out of the Vee are a PAIN! I used the correct sized socket, a wobbly, 3 8" extentions, and a 3/8 drive ratchet with the handle of my high-lift jack over it as a breaker bar (you can see the jack handle on the floor in the garage shot above). Still it was a struggle! On top of it, I don't have a center stand or wheel chock, and the garage door blocked the eves, so I ended up having my girlfriend hold the bike while I installed the bracket. After getting the bracket on and securing the front of the skid plate to the crash bars, I go to rotate it up and bolt it to the bracket at the rear and I can't get the bolt through the skid plate and into the bracket on the right side . I called Yann (the guy who makes the skid plates... he's nice enough to list his cell phone number on the instruction sheet!) in a panic and he said to check the side to side alignment of the skid plate. Oh yeah. Slide the skid plate over a bit and it bolted right up.

Really impressed with the quality of Yann's product. I used to be a jeep guy, and built up a "stealth" TJ (only around an inch of lift and 31s, but locked front and rear and a ton of underbody protection) and I have no doubt that this skid plate will hold up to any kind of trouble I can manage to get the Vee into.

Not bad for a couple of hours in the garage!

Some poser shots to come this weekend. I'll be headed up to Maine for a little weekend trip.

Next on the list, SW Motech side carriers and Micatech panniers and top box. Taking a ride up to Hillsboro, NH to pick them up on Tuesday!
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Greg the pole
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
love the red color.
just sold my 2006 dl 1000, great bike.
The givi bars are a good investemnt, they last, and do their job well.
mine had a hole bunch of crap on it,
madd stadd bracket, shorty tinted screen
corbin seat,
sw motech removable racks, and give en45 cases
staintune pipes (god they were expensive, but the bike sounded awesome)
bunch of other stuff I cant remember.
55 000KM worry free km.

i'm on to a yamaha super T now.

enjoy
Greg the pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Namecheck
Like a Sir!

Oddometer: 114
Well done (pardon the pun)

After getting crash bars installed I took a quick break to whip up some dinner. Not Safe for Vegetarians:

Classic - love how you threw this in your story! Well done!
Namecheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:36 AM   #4
zeeede OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg the pole View Post
love the red color.
just sold my 2006 dl 1000, great bike.
The givi bars are a good investemnt, they last, and do their job well.
mine had a hole bunch of crap on it,
madd stadd bracket, shorty tinted screen
corbin seat,
sw motech removable racks, and give en45 cases
staintune pipes (god they were expensive, but the bike sounded awesome)
bunch of other stuff I cant remember.
55 000KM worry free km.

i'm on to a yamaha super T now.

enjoy
You know, I kind of was tempted by the adventure version just because I wanted the bike in black, but the red's really grown on me. The color's a little off in the pictures. As you can see, the light isn't so hot in the garage. I'm pretty happy with the bike as it sits. I'm picking up the panniers for it on Tuesday. On the list for phase 2 are a madd stadd bracket, a centerstand, and a scott oiler but that'll probably happen at the end of the summer. I've gotta take it easy on the cash for a few months before I spend any more. I sold my CB750 and am selling my CB1000 to fund the current round of farkles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namecheck View Post
Well done!
Actually, they were medium-rare!
Old 04-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
zeeede OP
Studly Adventurer

A couple of poser shots with the crashbars and the skid plate outside my office.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
I recommend an aux fuse block if you plan to wire in some electronic toys.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
zeeede OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by precarious View Post
I recommend an aux fuse block if you plan to wire in some electronic toys.
I'll definitely keep that in mind. Right now the only electronic goodie I have planned is a GPS somewhere down the road. But heated grips and heated gear might end up on my list after this weekend... going to spend it riding up in Maine. Highs in the 40's forcasted!
Old 04-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
not2fast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
I just bought a 2012 DL650 and still own a 2002 DL100 that I bought new in June 2002. When I bought the 650, the 1000 was parked next to it. It was a tough choice not to get another 1000 especially in that red color. I had hoped to get a red 650 but never did. My 2002 DL1000 has 58K miles on it and still going strong. I put a new fuel pump in it as the filter was partially blocked and the pump was noisy. That has been the one big expense so far. Everything else was wear-out items.

I like the new 2012 650 but the 1000 is still fun to ride.

Thanks for the pictures.

Terry
12 DL650
02 DL1000
99 DR650
Old 04-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namecheck View Post

Classic - love how you threw this in your story! Well done!
I certainly don't have a beef with him doing it.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,488
Upgrades to DL1000

Do the GSXR 750 brake caliper upgrade, replace the seat, put a Laminar Lip on the stock screen and you'll be in a position to evaluate your next moves. I went a bit crazy on mine, but hey, it's only time, materials and money.

Lots of excellent advice on the Stromtrooper.com and Vstrom.info websites - updates range from "penny-tech" to high-dollar full-honk boogie. Have fun.
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeede View Post
On the list for phase 2 are a madd stadd bracket, a centerstand, and a scott oiler but that'll probably happen at the end of the summer. I've gotta take it easy on the cash for a few months before I spend any more. I sold my CB750 and am selling my CB1000 to fund the current round of farkles.
Before you plunk down the money on a MadStad bracket. I'd suggest you do the windshield spacer trick. To me, it worked just as good as the MS and cost little if any money.

To save you some time: Essentially, you place the factory shield in the high position and then use spacers. I cut some 1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe I had laying about. That way I just varied the pitch and distance without cost to find the sweet spot. You will have to use some longer screws, but that's easy. I had some longer screws laying around, but did end up buying some stainless steel ones.

Anyway, the theory is to decrease the turbulence by changing the rake on the windshield to match the angle of the fairing.

I had an early model MS bracket and didn't like it. I had already tried the spacers, so I ended up going back to the spacers and selling the MS in the Flea Market.

HTH
Old 04-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #12
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Before you plunk down the money on a MadStad bracket. I'd suggest you do the windshield spacer trick. To me, it worked just as good as the MS and cost little if any money.

To save you some time: Essentially, you place the factory shield in the high position and then use spacers. I cut some 1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe I had laying about. That way I just varied the pitch and distance without cost to find the sweet spot. You will have to use some longer screws, but that's easy. I had some longer screws laying around, but did end up buying some stainless steel ones.

Anyway, the theory is to decrease the turbulence by changing the rake on the windshield to match the angle of the fairing.

I had an early model MS bracket and didn't like it. I had already tried the spacers, so I ended up going back to the spacers and selling the MS in the Flea Market.

HTH
+1 on the spacers - I used 1/8" thick nylon washers under the bottom bolts to rake my windshield back about an inch. That plus the Laminar Lip settled things down at any speed that I care to run. Your pictures indicate that you've already moved your mirrors up and outward, so that should help reduce turbulence as well.
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
ec90t
Banned

Oddometer: 243
I had an '07 Vee for a year and put 12,000 miles on it. No matter how much money I put into it, it was always a dissappointment. The final straw was not being able to cure the severe buffeting reguardless of what shield I put on the Madstad bracket. I wish you the best of luck.
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by not2fast View Post
My 2002 DL1000 has 58K miles on it and still going strong.
Mine has 85K and feels better than ever! A couple guys on Stromtrooper have hit 200K Fantastically reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
Do the GSXR 750 brake caliper upgrade, replace the seat
+1. 4-pot calipers change everything.

I've had good luck with the National Cycle V-Stream windshield on Madstad. No buffeting.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
zeeede OP
Studly Adventurer

Cool... I'll try the windshield spacer trick. Might save me a few bucks. Hadn't even thought about upgrading the brakes. Another item to add to the list!

Couple of poser shots from today's ride.