Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #14101
Streeter
Has Coping Skills

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I really like the way Suzuki offers so many different colors, so we can corodintate our bikes with our outfits, and even our eye & hair color. I thought about getting a white one for Easter, to match my boots.
White is OK, but you can't ride it after Labor Day.
Streeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #14102
RMOTO
Doing secret stuff

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixfords View Post
I have read the build article you posted on your bike, very cool!

The probend guards installed on mine with no fuss, looks like different bar bend. I am putting some risers on mine next week, and will try to tilt the guards down some at that time. I will post the results. Here is a pic from the other side.
Cheers for that, interesting how the subtle difference in bar bends makes such a difference to the install
Old 04-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #14103
Viper210
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab View Post
My .02...
Thanks!
'11 DRZ400S Acerbis Handguards,TT Case Savers,Unibiker Radiator Guards,Hyde Skid Plate,Kenda 270,HEL Braided Lines,IMMIX Cargo Rack,3X3 Mod,JD Jet Kit,Yoshi Fender Eliminator Kit,Moose Headlight Cowl Bag,Moose Cross Bar Pad,Swing Arm Decals,Gripper Seat Cover,ASV F3 Brake & Clutch Levers,Yoshi RS-2 Full Exhaust CF,Zeta Brake Clevis,Anodized Check Plugs,Mishimoto Hoses
Viper210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #14104
ifixfords
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo_DC View Post
nice yellow zee u got there.....
Thanks, I am kind of partial to Suzuki yellow, because you know... they are the fast ones.;)

DRZ400E Tagged
KTM200XC-W

2014 BMW F800GSA
2008 KTM200XC-W
2009 Beta EVO 250
ifixfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #14105
Jon B.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentnothstine View Post
So I am looking at the Unabiker Radiator gaurds and I have a question. What makes the Unabiker better then say something like this?
http://www.powersports-outlet.com/wo...00-suz-drz400/

with

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...45&zmap=125777

I can't see any front and back support on the unabiker
For $95 (plain aluminum) you can buy the Unabiker guards. There are two solid rods behind the radiators to prevent a side crushing force. There's a rear angle-brace to the gas tank mount preventing it from bending backward. And, the front surface guard is integrated into the guard. You get both of your above parts for less money. You can even get color-anodized versions. (I didn't)

They're pretty dang stout. I need a set for the '05 and I'll buy the Unabiker guards again - from the ThumperTalk store.

Jon

'05 DRZ 400E Titled/Plated
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #14106
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
For $95 (plain aluminum) you can buy the Unabiker guards. There are two solid rods behind the radiators to prevent a side crushing force. There's a rear angle-brace to the gas tank mount preventing it from bending backward. And, the front surface guard is integrated into the guard. You get both of your above parts for less money. You can even get color-anodized versions. (I didn't)

They're pretty dang stout. I need a set for the '05 and I'll buy the Unabiker guards again - from the ThumperTalk store.

Jon

Thanks, I wasn't sure if they had the angle brace or not. I couldn't tell from the pictures I was seeing. I would agree the Unibiker crushing side force protection is way better

Thanks again
Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #14107
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
With that tank full and at 200+ lb rider you are crushing those springs pretty good. If you are often filling that tank and adding luggage I would go with the .52 fronts and the 5.7 rears. That is a lot of top weight full. 7 lbs /gal means 40lbs of fuel or so on a fill on those forks just from fuel.
Thanks for the feedback. I went riding on some rough single track today and the rider following me said my back wheel is using up all of its travel. I haven't felt it bottom out yet, but I can't be far off it. Better get those springs ....
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #14108
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,486
If anyone needs it, I have the stock seat foam and cover just removed from my bike in preparation to installing the Seat Concepts foam and cover. Foam is in great condition, cover is also. No rips or rash. Yours free for a PM and postage.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #14109
Naq
Kitsune

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
Hey mate, nice ride.

Am curious to hear if you had any issues fitting them around the front brake master cylinder. As per the pic below I had to machine up some 25mm spacers. Did you have the same issue?
I love my probends and spend a lot of time breaking rocks and hiding behind them plowing through the brush.

Running the protaper Windham bars, I opted for the triple mounts instead of the bar mounts.

'02 FZ1, '02 DRZ400S, '09 TE250
Naq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #14110
the big c word
the badass noob

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentnothstine View Post
So I am looking at the Unabiker Radiator gaurds and I have a question. What makes the Unabiker better then say something like this?
http://www.powersports-outlet.com/wo...00-suz-drz400/

with

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...45&zmap=125777

I can't see any front and back support on the unabiker
I have unibiker guards and they work very well, they are very rigid, and have a nice support along the bottom in the back. They are not the easiest to install , but i have a clark3.9 gal tank too. fitment is really good. i have let go of my bike on some really off-camber sidehills, loss of momentum. nothing happened to my radiators at all.
the big c word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #14111
the big c word
the badass noob

Oddometer: 8
cal poly penguins ride

Any body going to the cal poly penguins ride tomorrow?
the big c word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #14112
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

This has been well covered before, but I had the pleasure of riding my newly rebuilt seat today. I recently ordered the Seat Concepts tall foam in the "fat boy" density. I didn't need the extra height as a general thing, but I have a knee injury that makes riding with a compressed right knee painful. I can nearly flat-foot the bike with the added 1 1/4", and sitting doesn't hurt.

Seat Concepts provides a nice, well-done kit. I borrowed an electric stapler from a friend. I'm sure that I would have had an easier time with an air stapler, but things worked out. If you are using anything less than professional grade stapler, simply make sure that the seat pan is supported against something rigid and the stapler is firmly against the pan. I had quite a few staples that didn't seat the first time, but it's simple to yank them and try again.

I learned (a little late) that the process goes much easier if you heat the pan with a heat gun or hair dryer as you go along.

There is a major difference in comfort, and the off-road ability of the seat isn't compromised. It's still not a big, wide cruiser saddle, but it is a major improvement.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #14113
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Excellent feedback. I'm interested to see the appearance of the tall version, any chance of posting a photo?

[BQUOTE=Canuman;18567484]This has been well covered before, but I had the pleasure of riding my newly rebuilt seat today. I recently ordered the Seat Concepts tall foam in the "fat boy" density. I didn't need the extra height as a general thing, but I have a knee injury that makes riding with a compressed right knee painful. I can nearly flat-foot the bike with the added 1 1/4", and sitting doesn't hurt.

Seat Concepts provides a nice, well-done kit. I borrowed an electric stapler from a friend. I'm sure that I would have had an easier time with an air stapler, but things worked out. If you are using anything less than professional grade stapler, simply make sure that the seat pan is supported against something rigid and the stapler is firmly against the pan. I had quite a few staples that didn't seat the first time, but it's simple to yank them and try again.

I learned (a little late) that the process goes much easier if you heat the pan with a heat gun or hair dryer as you go along.

There is a major difference in comfort, and the off-road ability of the seat isn't compromised. It's still not a big, wide cruiser saddle, but it is a major improvement.[/QUOTE]
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:36 AM   #14114
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
I have a DRZ with 28L tank and set up to carry panniers. I weigh 95kg
I'm thinking of upgrading the springs with racetechs off procycle
I'm thinking 0.48 for the front and 5.4 for the back. I only ride at a moderate
pace, no big jumps or anything, so no need to make her too stiff.
Any feedback on likely success with those spring rates?
This is payback Rob for previous digs at me , What does it say above "no big jumps" , now what about a camel.

59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #14115
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
Excellent feedback. I'm interested to see the appearance of the tall version, any chance of posting a photo?
You mean like this?