Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #31
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,836
Man! You visited the factory! Why didn't you say so!

Shade tree engineer? That hurts! And I am just trying to help. Well I have never . . . . wait a minute, I actually have over and over again. Go figure. But others are reading too!

From my dad to tons of other BMW certified techs that I have worked with which, of course, includes myself, I have not heard of any problems with them other than what I have already mentioned. No bulletins from BMW either that I am aware of. They come on models that make way more power with the exact same basic design. They just don't handle being installed incorrectly.

Star washers and split washers aren't used much if at all in aviation for stress risers. They don't cause any in this situation from my sampling. I don't think you have to worry about the cover plate cracking.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #32
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Did a bit of a search on " star washers"
the general opinion seems to be along the lines of:

Having visited the factory in Spandau once I'd guess they are used more for fast and easy assembly than good engineering practice.
Any non shade tree engineers have an opinion on these?
Just because you have been to the factory gives you the right to put down Shade Tree Mechanics?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #33
Voltaire OP
Bored Of The Rings

Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Just because you have been to the factory gives you the right to put down Shade Tree Mechanics?
I thought I had made an observation on high speed production lines needing to use inferior methods of fixing components together by assembly line staff, and wondered if a mechanical engineer might care to comment.
I also visited lots of breweries but make very average beer.
anyway time to pack up bike and go racing
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #34
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,994
Have a nice trip. Happy racing.

charlie

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #35
Voltaire OP
Bored Of The Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Have a nice trip. Happy racing.

charlie
Thanks Charlie, great weekend of racing. I'd never been to this track so it was all new to me, My team mate on his Triumph and I took it easy as quite a few bikes were binned on lap one due to cold tyres.....a Manx Norton...and a green frame Ducati 750 to name two.

My teammate on his Flat Tracker 750.

Tasty Kiwi fare....greasy chips, deep fried battered sausage on a stick with tomato sauce.....yum

BMW holding up despite lots of non spec parts.

Most successful airhead in New Zealand, we swapped bikes for a practice session and his comments were " turns nice, lots of grunt out of corners, great first build and wait for it ......brakes are good......they can't be I said...the internet says so...
His went well with its twin plugs, reangled intakes, 40mm dells..etc....dunno about the Brembos...they were ok....
Old 04-29-2012, 02:56 AM   #36
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,569
Tu meke bro
Wow that's a great recommendation from Kane. Is this your first time racing or have you done a bit of it before?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:28 AM   #37
Voltaire OP
Bored Of The Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Tu meke bro
Wow that's a great recommendation from Kane. Is this your first time racing or have you done a bit of it before?
Did two levels of the CSS late last year, couple of track days on the Thruxton, built up the BMW over Xmas and first race was a Puke in Jan, then HD in Feb now Taupo.
Maybe he was just being nice....He did say he was tempted to pass me.... I wish he had as it would have been cool to be passed by a bike I built up from parts I bought on Trade Me and Ebay. cheers John