Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
ThinkMike OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Pre-load adjustment knob just turns

1200 gs 2006 - Manual Preload.

Help - This morning turned up the preload for an off-road outing. Now when I got home went to drop it back to my road setting and the knob is way way out (at least 100mm more than when it is normslly wound out all the way) and just turns. Something has come loose, but I assume just the knob mechanism as the preload is still as it was after I raised it this morning. I did hit a nasty bump that spat the back into the air - but I really have no idea if this is had anything to do with it.

I tried pushing the knob in hard and then turning (as if to catch a thread if there is one?) but no luck. Other than the knob just turning the bump pre-load etc are 100% No sign of oil etc.

Anyone know what the problem may be and how to fix it (Before I start hacking around).

TM
ThinkMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
ThinkMike OP
Adventurer

OK then anyone know where I can find an exploded view / Cross section diagram of the shock / preload Mechanism so I can see how it works?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,002
I had a problem with the rear shock on my previous R1150RT years ago, no movement at the far end of the adjustment. Seems there was a bit of air in the hydraulic portion of the preload adjuster. I made sure the knob was screwed full out, opened a fitting on the system and topped up the fluid. Seemed to work fine after that.

YMMV.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
ThinkMike OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
I had a problem with the rear shock on my previous R1150RT years ago, no movement at the far end of the adjustment. Seems there was a bit of air in the hydraulic portion of the preload adjuster. I made sure the knob was screwed full out, opened a fitting on the system and topped up the fluid. Seemed to work fine after that.

YMMV.

Mike
Tx for the feedback. The issue with mine, is that although the knob and shaft turn, it doesn’t turn in / out at all (just turns freely).

I opened up the preload mechanism today and found that the shaft wobbles loosely. Immediately the problems was evident - the shaft screws into a disk and the thread on the disk is totally stripped.

Thinking back, the past few times I have adjusted the pre-load, I noticed it felt a little "gritty". Must have been the thread stripping and getting worse.

Taking it in tomorrow.

TM....
Old 04-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,869
Taking it in likely means that BMW will want to replace it with an OE unit.
You have several choices;

1- Aftermarket shock (ridiculous price).
2- Replace with OE (ridiculous price).
3- Have the OE rebuilt...(most economical).

The Showa OE shock is a throw away and replace item with no documentation showing internals. There are services that will rebuild the OE shock to like new and modify the shock so it can be rebuilt any number of times.

def screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 12:33 PM
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
Willie B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Or purchase someone's take off OE shocks and call it a day. I've got a set if you're interested?
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
ThinkMike OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Taking it in likely means that BMW will want to replace it with an OE unit.
You have several choices;

1- Aftermarket shock (ridiculous price).
2- Replace with OE (ridiculous price).
3- Have the OE rebuilt...(most economical).

The Showa OE shock is a throw away and replace item with no documentation showing internals. There are services that will rebuild the OE shock to like new and modify the shock so it can be rebuilt any number of times.
We have a BMW dealer who's workshop manager put me in touch with a private guy who I am taking it to. Lets see what the outcome is!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
ThinkMike OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
Or purchase someone's take off OE shocks and call it a day. I've got a set if you're interested?
That is a consideration. I will be able to make a call later today once I know the story with mine. I am leaving on a 6 day trip Friday so need to get this sorted ASAP.