anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #32
FUTURE OP
Left right out

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Bar grating.... really?
Sure is. Is supposed to be cover for a drain.
2009 Triumph Speedmaster.

FUTURE screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 04:21 PM
FUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #33
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,352
Good taste is a barrier. You may end up with something utterly hideous, but it may end up being uproariously different and interesting.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #34
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,725
Well this is a good example of a bobber, this guy has bought the bike, spent a shed load of money and time on it, with very mixed results and it is now on eBay, what are bets on the final bids if any.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R80-19...#ht_1284wt_922
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #35
knary
sunshine and puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
Well this is a good example of a bobber, this guy has bought the bike, spent a shed load of money and time on it, with very mixed results and it is now on eBay, what are bets on the final bids if any.....

"My insparation was to try and create a bike that looked as close to the old 1920’s and 1930’s style of bikes as possible."

The word "fail" comes to mind.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 05-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #36
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post

It looks like he invested in some spray paint, an army canteen, piece of metal and foam for a seat and about 3 or 4 hours of time. Sorry but I'm not seeing a "shed load of money or time"
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #37
R100LT
Chasing 11

Oddometer: 621
Totally agree with you there BMWeuro ... all I can see is a hack job.

Reading Future's " bobber " brings tears to my eyes ... and a bobber is for " kepts " because once you go down that path ... all I can see is " thrashed " ... no matter how well maintained it might be.

If its a barn find .. sure .. the bike is already wasting away .. but stripping one down to do it ... Flayed at the stake for those participants.

I know with my custom job ( and yes I know alot out there think roll their eyes at a sound system on wheels ) but I spend most of my time looking at ways so I can bring it back to " stock " before I do add anything .. So far two holes in the bottom of the top box and 3 small ones on the rear tail cowling . I think I could rip off all the " bling " within a day if needed.

I have a pair of Wixom panniers all marked up to have 4 speakers installed in each ( 2 5x7 Polks ... 1 6 x9 RF and I am thinking about a chep 5" sub woofer brining it to a total of 18 .. with an extra two channels if I can work out a place to put # 19 & 20 speaker on it ) ... and its taken me a month to get up the guts to cut the holes ( and they came from a Guzzi and they are need of re-fiber glassing as is ).

It might be fun and keep you off the streets .. but a bobber project isn't " value adding "
Old 05-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #38
FUTURE OP
Left right out

Oddometer: 742
This project is not about adding value to the bike. Any motor vehicle once it leaves the showroom floor drops and keeps dropping in price. This project is about me making a bike I want. A bike that no one else has. This to me has increased its value beyond what any dollar could provide me with.

It is being crafted by my hands. Nothing could ever repay that as far as I am concerned.
2009 Triumph Speedmaster.
FUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #39
KhaoSanMan
Airhead

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUTURE View Post
This project is about me making a bike I want. A bike that no one else has. This to me has increased its value beyond what any dollar could provide me with.

It is being crafted by my hands. Nothing could ever repay that as far as I am concerned.

#3 - BMW Motorrad Mull aus der Hölle
KhaoSanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #40
knary
sunshine and puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUTURE View Post
This project is not about adding value to the bike. Any motor vehicle once it leaves the showroom floor drops and keeps dropping in price. This project is about me making a bike I want. A bike that no one else has. This to me has increased its value beyond what any dollar could provide me with.

You're missing the point. These bikes were birthed by the motherland from the great, wide, and perfect hips of a stoic and brilliant teutonic engineer. Outside of the context of a heritage of tried, tested, and true tradition of bottomless verbosity, to change them is to defile them. Please find your particular special snowflake uniqueness from the notarized list of the acceptable.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #41
Lvl. 29 Adventurer
Garage Inmate

Oddometer: 44
is this thread the human torch? because someone must have yelled "flame on!"

Dude: hack it up. Purists: shut up. A german engineer can do a lot of things but they can't design the pride that comes with doing something for yourself. Leave the dude be, if you disagree and love your bone stock bike so much, go ride it and have fun.

There will never be a one bike fits all solution, we all "farkle", mod and hack just to varying degrees. This guy is just at one end of the spectrum so if you don't like it don't flame him for it because you make it harder for me to monitor the progress....

To each their own
Old 05-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #42
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
If someone doesn't like criticism, it's best to NOT display an item to be critiqued.
If you like it, right on!
If you don't like to hear other peoples opinions on a publicly displayed item, well, it's time to move on.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #43
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary View Post
You're missing the point. These bikes were birthed by the motherland from the great, wide, and perfect hips of a stoic and brilliant teutonic engineer. Outside of the context of a heritage of tried, tested, and true tradition of bottomless verbosity, to change them is to defile them. Please find your particular special snowflake uniqueness from the notarized list of the acceptable.
Utilizing a ridiculous over used phrase, but I literally laughed out loud. Enough the I woke the dog from his feet flailing doggy dream and caused the wife to ask, "What's so funny?".

Well played.

As for as the OP, You're not building the bike I'd build that's for sure.

but, and this is the important thing, you are building it. My project meanwhile is not being worked on.

I have to say, you might want to think about some cool way to add padding to that seat grate. Otherwise the waffle print will look funny.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:11 AM   #44
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvl. 29 Adventurer View Post
Dude: hack it up. Purists: shut up. A german engineer can do a lot of things but they can't design the pride that comes with doing something for yourself. Leave the dude be, if you disagree and love your bone stock bike so much, go ride it and have fun.

There will never be a one bike fits all solution, we all "farkle", mod and hack just to varying degrees. This guy is just at one end of the spectrum so if you don't like it don't flame him for it because you make it harder for me to monitor the progress....

To each their own
A-fucking-men my friend.

If people don't like it why waste your time looking let alone wasting more time scowling & criticising just cos you can. You would have all had a look by now & made up your minds - change the channel to a happier programme - there's some mint untouched or restored beauties out there why not go & post a positive comment in those threads.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 AM   #45
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
I pulled apart a perfectly good R80 and sold off the bits
No one wanted it and it helped fund my airhead racer project...also a bastard hacked beemer...
BMW sold heaps of airheads so do what you like.
I sometimes regret all the VW split screen buses I have cut up over the years....no not really....
If it was a Bevel Ducati or Norton I might be concerned....
Keep posting pics.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote