Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #287
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy123 View Post
Hi Cyborg and Yellow Pig,

Thanks for your test and comments. What you have tested/stated confirms what I thought but if I do not misunderstand BD seem to say the reverse and the power/current drawn remains the same at 44 watts regarless of the dimmer!!

Regards Rob
It might just be interpretation. LED dimmers are little, rapid on/off switches. The LED draws full watts when the switch is turned on, in this case 44. The power drops to near 0 when the dimmer turns off. So in a way, the LED is always running at full wattage with a dimmer but it is only doing that part of the time.

The bike's electrical system sees the power draw as an average of the on and off current flow. If the dimmer is set so that the time it is turned off is equal the time it is on, the average wattage will be 50% of the full wattage, or 22 in this case. (50% marking on a dimmer may not correspond to actual 50% power.) There will undoubtedly be some power loss to running the electronics in the dimmer itself but that should be small.
Sparrowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #288
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy123 View Post
Hi Cyborg and Yellow Pig,

Thanks for your test and comments. What you have tested/stated confirms what I thought but if I do not misunderstand BD seem to say the reverse and the power/current drawn remains the same at 44 watts regarless of the dimmer!!

Regards Rob
Hey Rob,

I apologize that was my fault and a little misunderstanding on my part. Yellowpig and Cyborg are correct. What I meant to say is that it remains at a constant 12volts while the amps go up and down as you dim or turn the light up. So yes the wattage changes. Volts x amps = watts. The Squadron operates on high at 12.8v x 3.5amps =44.8watts. As the Squadron is dimmed the amps lower ultimately lowering the watts. Sorry for the misinformation, I hope this clears things up. Thanks Dan and Clif for all the help.

BD

Gordon
Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #289
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Hey Sparrowhawk,

You are correct it is very similar and I believe it could be adapted. I will pass the information along, we will have to format hardware. Also is that something you and others would really want? We have heard that that style of headlight shell is going out of style But I will definitely look into this further and see if I can get the ball rolling.

Thanks,

Gordon BD
(760)560-2252 EXT.124

Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #290
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Hey Rob,

The forum discount is 10% on everything and you can receive the discount by calling me. Yes, you are correct about how to hook up the Squadron, depending on your bike. Our harness is plug and play if you decide to build your own it would be the same as many aux lights. I have put the link below to show how the connections work, the bottom one inside the link is electric start with the Stator grounded. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

LINK

Thanks,

Gordon BD
(760)560-2252 EXT.124
Old 04-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #291
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post
Hey Sparrowhawk,

You are correct it is very similar and I believe it could be adapted. I will pass the information along, we will have to format hardware. Also is that something you and others would really want? We have heard that that style of headlight shell is going out of style But I will definitely look into this further and see if I can get the ball rolling.
Thanks,

Gordon BD
(760)560-2252 EXT.124

Agreed, the rectangular is going out of style. However, most of the bikes running the old style rectangular have piss poor lights and not a bunch of watts out of their stator. I went HID conversion so I'm not in the market but if the Squadron was available a couple of years ago it would have been my top choice. Better light for less watts than an H4, what's not to like?

There are lots of folks running a DR, DRZ, KLX, WRR, XRR/L, LC4, etc. Check out the thumpers forum. The only option to this point for somebody wanting an upgrade was something like your 8" race light in HID at cost close to $500. A Squadron conversion around $350 would look pretty good. An HID H4 conversion costs almost that much and involves a lot of fiddling to get it to work.

You wouldn't sell a bazillion of them but you would make some folks happy for little effort on BD's part.
Sparrowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #292
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Agreed, the rectangular is going out of style. However, most of the bikes running the old style rectangular have piss poor lights and not a bunch of watts out of their stator. I went HID conversion so I'm not in the market but if the Squadron was available a couple of years ago it would have been my top choice. Better light for less watts than an H4, what's not to like?

There are lots of folks running a DR, DRZ, KLX, WRR, XRR/L, LC4, etc. Check out the thumpers forum. The only option to this point for somebody wanting an upgrade was something like your 8" race light in HID at cost close to $500. A Squadron conversion around $350 would look pretty good. An HID H4 conversion costs almost that much and involves a lot of fiddling to get it to work.

You wouldn't sell a bazillion of them but you would make some folks happy for little effort on BD's part.

I completely agree, I will talk it over with our engineers and staff this week. We always appreciate suggestions, especially from BD supporters.

Thanks,

Gordon BD
Old 04-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #293
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
does anyone have a comparison to this and the trailtech HID?
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #294
ADVTuga
Paulo Lança

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post
More pictures of the 08-12

Hi BD ! That looks sweeeeeeeeeet !!!!

Were can i buy this for my ´12 350 exc-f sixdays ?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #295
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Hey ADVTuga,

Thanks we appreciate it You can buy this kit online on our website or feel free to give me a call and I can put the order in for you with a 10% ADV discount. Here is the link to the website LINK If you have any questions, just let me know.

Thanks,

Gordon BD
Old 05-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #296
everett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Got one of the first dimmers in!

Here is my installation and a few comments.

The BD dimmer box is a bit larger than I would have liked.
It comes in at 2 5/8 x 2 5/8 x 1.5.

The container is very sturdy and appears to be waterproof.

It is however smaller than the competition:

These two do appear to use the same hardware and key-fob switch, but are packaged in different containers.

The two wireless key fob dimmers a much larger than this electronic dimmer which uses a special power on/off sequenced to set the dimmed light level.

I installed my dimmer on a 2010 KTM XC-W that has a Squadron LED light and a SicAss plug and play dual sport kit installed.

I installed a 4 pin connector on the KTM to facilitate connecting the Dimmer and the Squadron LED.

In the above picture the wiring goes as follows:
Brown = Ground
White = Marker light
Green = Low beam
Yellow = High beam

Here is the SicAss Hi/Lo switch:

And the KTM OEM lights On/Off switch:

I followed the provided wiring diagram and connected:

Ground --> LED - (Black)
Marker Light --> LED + (Red)
High beam --> High beam by pass wire (Yellow)

Note: you cannot connect the LED + to the Low beam because that wire needs a constant power-source. With the Hi/Lo switch once you flick on the High beam it cuts power to the Low beam......thus the connection to the marker light which provides a constant power source, even when the high beam is engaged.

Here are the Squadron LED and the Dimmer all set up for installation on the bike:

Baja Designs provides some industrial Velcro for the installation of the dimmer box, but I wanted a more solid solution and fabricated a Kydex shelf that sits above the Squadron light on which the dimmer is securely zip tied:

The BD Dimmer is paired up to a unique serial number key fob that can be used to adjust the power level of the LED light:

This matched key fob provides approximately 18 levels of adjustment in intensity of light that goes from 0 --> 100% intensity.

Doing some initial testing I found that the best setting for low beam is around the 30% mark. Anything above that is too bright for head on traffic, particularly at night.

Here is the Squadron on the lowest dimmer setting:

Here it is on full eyeball melt:

The key fob works great and the dimmer module remembers the last setting so all you need to do is find the low beam setting you like and forget about the key fob. Despite this there is something psychological I do not like about having a separate key fob. I find the dimmer with the built in dimming sequence to be more reassuring, but I understand it is a mere mental trick I need to overcome.

So if i understand this correct. Once I have the dimmer set to where I want it I dont need to carry the key fob around?

Low beam = dimmer setting to what ever.

High beam = 100%

If this is true I'm buying one today for my little WRR

Thanks,
Everett.
everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #297
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Yes, you are correct. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Gordon BD
Old 05-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #298
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
Indirectly, I have used the Diablo and X2 side by side and felt like they were interchangeable.

I got the Squadron and compared it side by side with the Diablo and would say that the Squadron was an improvement on either HID. In addition, the Squadron seems less likely to get damaged by roost or a crash.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #299
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
I posted some photos in pages three, four and five of thise thread.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #300
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
I posted some photos in pages three, four and five of thise thread.
sorry I am looking in regards to the 8" model
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote