User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
isdt BMW OP
willserv@aol.com

Oddometer: 232
70's ISDT BMW

OK, Here is the deal. Just bought a R-60/6 frame, motor, trans, swingarm, and subframe. Building an ISDT replica, want to keeep the long wheelbase, and trade the subframe for a short one. Any trades out there? Have a set of Husqvarna forks, wheel and triple clamps. Have IMS footpegs and holders off of a Cannondale. Have a set of Works dual spring shocks one inch longer than stock BMW. using Acerbes front and rear fenders, Preston Petty headlight/numberplate. Have Enduro rubber taillight liscense plate holder. Will cut and lengthen framestand. Making highpipe 2 into1 exhaust with alloy spark arrester muffler. Using Husky enduro speedo and drive. Using Clark plastic gastank. Making alloy skidplate. Need some photos of 70's ISDT bikes.

You may have seen some photos of my 1957 ISDT replica (some posted on this site) I broke my femur and need a taller button start bike. Will use as little wiring as possible and still maintain E start. May try to modify a Husky seat to fit. Any ideas welcome

Thanks, Bruce
isdt BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
elite-less
As above, so below

Oddometer: 527
Sounds like a cool project!

With all that fabrication work listed..... the easiest part would seem to be shortening your existing LWB subframe.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Tanami
Under The Weather

Oddometer: 291
time to brush up on your german...

http://2-ventiler.de/vbboard/showthr...Enduro-Replika
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
lockyv7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanami View Post

Now that is building a bike from scratch.
lockyv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
isdt BMW OP
willserv@aol.com

ISDT replica

Somewhere in here are photos of my 57 R-50 ISDT replica, One of the old gold medal winning six days guys asked me where I got a factory bike, I took that as a compliment, I can fab what I want, I have a 70 year old lathe and a 30 year old mill, and torches and a couple of welders. If I can restore that 09 NSU, anything is possible. Plus I have a buddy that is a retired tool maker, and another that is a tinsmith, and another that is a nuclear welder, you don't really need talent, just befriend it. We all share our knowledge and help one another.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by isdt BMW View Post
You may have seen some photos of my 1957 ISDT replica (some posted on this site) I broke my femur and need a taller button start bike. Will use as little wiring as possible and still maintain E start. May try to modify a Husky seat to fit. Any ideas welcome

Thanks, Bruce
This one?

pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
isdt BMW OP
willserv@aol.com

57 r50isdt

There is my little racer, Some details, 500cc, 5 ring pistons, standard bore, 34k on motor, cleaned slingers at 30k and replaced all motor bearings as the nose bearing on the cam was bad, lightened flywheel by 4 pounds, reground valves, skid plate from an Ossa, headlight guard from a Jeep, made the high pipes from old headers, crash bars from a /2, the muffler and heat shields are original Hoske 6 days items as is the rear lifting stay, not visible on the other side is a compressed air bottle, axles have tommy bars to facilate one wrench to do quick tire changes, leather tool bags are from Hi-Point, rear rack is an original Witte, number plates from a Penton, visable on crossbar is an enduro route sheet holder with a route sheet from the Berkshires, VDO enduro rubber mount 8 day clock on crossbar, 2 Beru plugs with wrench on crashbar, other side of crashbar has the Hagus mirror, front fender is from old Capitol Cycle stock, it is original paint, still use it in a few vintage enduros. It is an early 57 with the /3 style battery and the small taillight.

Now to build another one as I detailed above.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
princess jamaica
OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer: 2,179
Still one of the sweetest bikes on here!!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Translation from the German site, compliments of Google translate:

'79 Enduro replica
If you bring me asking what the best Enduro machine all the time, I will certainly tell you that it is the BMW of 1979. Unfortunately, none of the seven-mill machinery survives, so I decided a replica building, as close to as possible original. This is the chronicle of its origin I can not speak German (many thanks to Mad for this translation), I will show you many pictures, and little to write. Let's get started. DRAFT enlarged photo in a 1:1 scale drawing of the : After that I was able to control the masses determined on Perez machine (his 78s is practically the same as the factory '79): After I have everything edited in Autocad: Nearly 100 drawings with parts that make on the lathe, are cut by laser, . and drawings of the composition of the various items TEACHING The '79 factory frame is quite different from the BMW standard framework, first had to produce to a new frame theory: FRAME bent tubes in 25CrMo4 and worked with the router. details of sheet metal 25CrMo4 in . different thickness in laser procedures cut . details in chrome-molybdenum steel machined on a lathe, the composition of the frame , the rear subframe is made ​​separately to avoid that the main frame twists in the welding process: The rear subframe is on the main frame attached: making a part (exhaust suspension) using a press: Welding in TIG welding process finisher frame finish: Next time I'll show you how I did the swingarm. bye and see you soon :)
Airhead #371
bmwloco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
isdt BMW OP
willserv@aol.com

57 ISDT bike

Just under the seat, the air bottle hose is visible, I have since this photo scored a good set of alloy wheels, now on the bike, the most elusive part was that VDO 8 day enduro clock (a 7 year search, on ebay a clock will fetch close to 3k) the Ohio historic plate is "6 DAY"

I have been hoarding parts for this seventies bike for some time, it will be a quick one to build, I plan to have it as my ride for bike week 2013.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,013
I have a '56 R50 sitting in the shop. I will bring it back to running stock first--but you have set a different kind of bar quite high for where I might eventually go.

Wow
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #12
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Another view.

pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #13
isdt BMW OP
willserv@aol.com

ISDT bike

The clock in this photo is an Ingersol, the face looks like a BMW speedo, the VDO 8 day clock now on the bike was found a couple years later. I found this pocket watch and holder in England. The bell is German, and was found at the Ulm Veterama. The Hagus mirror is also visible on the left crashbar. (my ISDT photos show it there) You guys have more and better photos than I do. I am somewhat computer challanged, but can still find my way in the garage.

Yesterday, a German guy sent me a dozen photos of the Herbert Schek 750cc ISDT bike from about 1973, great detail and I am going to copy some of his ideas.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #14
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Old School at its finest!!!!!
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #15
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by isdt BMW View Post
There is my little racer, Some details, 500cc, 5 ring pistons, standard bore, 34k on motor, cleaned slingers at 30k and replaced all motor bearings as the nose bearing on the cam was bad, lightened flywheel by 4 pounds, reground valves, skid plate from an Ossa, headlight guard from a Jeep, made the high pipes from old headers, crash bars from a /2, the muffler and heat shields are original Hoske 6 days items as is the rear lifting stay, not visible on the other side is a compressed air bottle, axles have tommy bars to facilate one wrench to do quick tire changes, leather tool bags are from Hi-Point, rear rack is an original Witte, number plates from a Penton, visable on crossbar is an enduro route sheet holder with a route sheet from the Berkshires, VDO enduro rubber mount 8 day clock on crossbar, 2 Beru plugs with wrench on crashbar, other side of crashbar has the Hagus mirror, front fender is from old Capitol Cycle stock, it is original paint, still use it in a few vintage enduros. It is an early 57 with the /3 style battery and the small taillight.

Now to build another one as I detailed above.
I've been slowly working on a John Penton R27 ISDT replica. You have inspired me with this bike. Very cool. I've got to get to work.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote