Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #61
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
there's a website where people can enter reviews of their motorcycles, including reliability. I can't seem to find it, though.

Anyway, let me settle this for you guys

The tranny started giving me problems on my R11R at about 20,000 miles. And the clutch went out on V-Strom at about the same mileage. But my FJR has been problem free for almost 1500 miles now!

oh, and I helped a guy load his GS into the back of a van that came to pick him on the side of the road a few weeks ago.
The FJR is a freaking anvil, go ahead and pound on it. It'll take it and ask for more.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #62
Zachsv
SVhaver

Oddometer: 152
lmfao I've never seen so many sandy vaginas in one place! Not sure what the OP was expecting though
Old 04-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #63
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachsv View Post
lmfao I've never seen so many sandy vaginas in one place! Not sure what the OP was expecting though
I think the OP was either expecting exactly what he got (troll), or is completely clueless (tool).

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #64
Dirty Hippie
Somewhere in a canyon

Oddometer: 227
I've had two 5 series (E28 and E39), and prior to those, a Jetta GLX. They were all awesome to drive. They all had problems, and when they had them, they were expensive. I always say I'll never buy another one, but that's a lie.

I've never had a BMW bike, but lust after several, and will own one sooner or later. My KTM is a lusty object. It is for sure more problematic than some Japanese bikes I have owned. It's worth it.

I just don't lust after a Strom. I'd own one, maybe. I have a Kia Spectra that I use for work. I don't lust after it, either, but it does it's job and serves it's purpose. Maybe a Strom is like a Kia Spectra?
Dirty Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #65
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
It's not just new BMWs, it's new *everything*.

All newer internal combustion powered vehicles tend toward greater complexity.
Stuff like ABS, antiskid, traction control, stability control, adjustable-rate
suspension, etc. significantly increases complexity. In the old days that stuff simply did not
exist, so it couldn't be a problem. Any engineer can tell you that with increased parts count
comes a greater chance of problems. Google "tin whiskers" and you will perhaps suspect
( as I do ) that black boxes in consumer level products are going to be "the gift that keeps on giving"
as they age.

The nice thing is, there are plenty of old bikes still around for those who prefer simplicity.

And there are brand new bikes for those who want the latest cool stuff.

You pay your money and you take your choice.

It doesn't get much better than that.
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #66
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
From the lurking I've done on various V-Strom threads I've come to the conclusion that most of them are ridden by keyboard warriors (master-baiters) who type tough but ride like a pussy.

Perhaps that's why their bikes never break.

Talk about masterbaters, quit beating (it) around the bush (pun intended) and tell us what you really think.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #67
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
All newer internal combustion powered vehicles tend toward greater complexity.
Stuff like ABS, antiskid, traction control, stability control, adjustable-rate
suspension, etc. significantly increases complexity. In the old days that stuff simply did not
exist, so it couldn't be a problem. Any engineer can tell you that with increased parts count
comes a greater chance of problems. Google "tin whiskers" and you will perhaps suspect
( as I do ) that black boxes in consumer level products are going to be "the gift that keeps on giving"
as they age.

The nice thing is, there are plenty of old bikes still around for those who prefer simplicity.

And there are brand new bikes for those who want the latest cool stuff.

You pay your money and you take your choice.

It doesn't get much better than that.
I suspect that there will still be /2's on the road long after most of todays BMW's have become toasters. These high tech bikes may work great when new, but they won't age gracefully.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #68
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
there's a website where people can enter reviews of their motorcycles, including reliability. I can't seem to find it, though.

Anyway, let me settle this for you guys

The tranny started giving me problems on my R11R at about 20,000 miles. And the clutch went out on V-Strom at about the same mileage. But my FJR has been problem free for almost 1500 miles now!

oh, and I helped a guy load his GS into the back of a van that came to pick him on the side of the road a few weeks ago.
"Mica Peak", great site, somewhat BMW centric but has 100's of owner reviews on most everything. Owners tend to post their riding resumes for reference. Very enlightening if you have an open mind.
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #69
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,158
It has been a little interesting to read over in GSpot the number of guys with later model GS/GSAs that recommend either purchasing an extended warranty or selling the bike and buying new when the factory warranty expires.

I've wondered if this a function of the cost to repair when breakdowns inevitably occur as with all bikes or a function of increased frequency of breakdowns. Typically extended warranties are money makes for the underwriter and I've never wished in hindsight I had purchased one. Of couse I've modified almost all my bikes essentially voiding the standard factory warranty within a couple months of ownership.

No personal experience with BMW bikes but have 2 buddies with GSAs one with an 07 and the other an 09. The 07s on it's second fuel strip, required its 3rd battery today, and had the ABS unit replaced just outside of warranty along with a few recall items like the antenna ring. The 09 has been trouble free to date aside from 3 fuel strips, all replaced under warranty.

I've always felt if an extended warranty is justified than the product is either flawed, or too complex/expensive to own and not worth the hassle.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:12 AM   #70
whittrated03 OP
Steady Rollin' Man

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritalin boy View Post
the fjr is a freaking anvil, go ahead and pound on it. It'll take it and ask for more.
+1
Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #71
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
It has been a little interesting to read over in GSpot the number of guys with later model GS/GSAs that recommend either purchasing an extended warranty or selling the bike and buying new when the factory warranty expires.

I've wondered if this a function of the cost to repair when breakdowns inevitably occur as with all bikes or a function of increased frequency of breakdowns. Typically extended warranties are money makes for the underwriter and I've never wished in hindsight I had purchased one. Of couse I've modified almost all my bikes essentially voiding the standard factory warranty within a couple months of ownership.

No personal experience with BMW bikes but have 2 buddies with GSAs one with an 07 and the other an 09. The 07s on it's second fuel strip, required its 3rd battery today, and had the ABS unit replaced just outside of warranty along with a few recall items like the antenna ring. The 09 has been trouble free to date aside from 3 fuel strips, all replaced under warranty.

I've always felt if an extended warranty is justified than the product is either flawed, or too complex/expensive to own and not worth the hassle.
This has been the case with BMW autos for a long time, nice cars but you don't want to pay for repairs on your dime..
Old 04-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #72
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,468
you want BMW GS reliability?

get an Airhead! preferably a monolever with little as possible electronics of any kind.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #73
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
you want BMW GS reliability?

get an Airhead! preferably a monolever with little as possible electronics of any kind.
Yeah, cause we all know they required zero maintenance, and nothing ever broke on them!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #74
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
This has been the case with BMW autos for a long time, nice cars but you don't want to pay for repairs on your dime..
Funny you mention it....I just bought a very low mileage used 2011 128i and grilled my GSA riding buddy about the reliaiblity of his 03 330Ci.

I bought a used 85 325e from my dad right out of college and loved that car but I couldn't swing both the monthly payment and the repair bill so I traded it on a new Honda Accord.

Buddy didn't do much to reassure me that the new 128i would not end up the same but as a CPO car they extended the warranty considerably and it should be paid for in a few years so I won't have to pay the note and the repairs at the same time. Also as a second car it won't see as much annual mileage so I'm hoping to get 5-7 trouble free years...time will tell.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #75
mattjw916
never wears lip balm

Oddometer: 310
You'll be fine in a CPO'd 128i...

I've had a bunch of BMW cars, even notoriously "bad" ones as far as maintenance goes, and never had any problems that weren't covered by the warranty. My CPO'd 325xi is almost 6 years old now and has been fine other than some warranty fixes although I am going to preemptively do some serious maintenance on it at 60k miles. Serpentine belt, water pump and hoses will all get done since they are approaching the window for potential failure.

Just like the bikes, some BMW cars get a bad rep for issues that are relatively rare, but because of the internet people think the cars have a 100% failure rate for part X, which is never the case. My M Roadster was known for the engine bearing failure and subframe ripping apart, neither occurred. My old 335 was known for notorious HPFP issues, turbo wastegate rattle, fuel injector problems, etc... no issues for me, etc, etc, etc...

The most reliable BMW cars are the X3 and the Z4 according to a factory mechanic friend of mine IIRC but like most vehicles, if you take care of it, they all are reliable (except old Jags).