User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
blbiker56 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
1984 CR125 Rebuild

Well it seems like im sucked into the bikes produced during the year of 1984 because I started another project bike which is a little brother to the 84 xr350 that My father and i finished recently.

xr350 1984 rebuild link- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762440

But i picked up an awesome deal, found a guy up in Denver selling a 1984 cr125. The bike was apparently rebuilt about a year and a half ago, but it seems like everything was not gone through. The bike was not running when we picked it up but seemed to be in pretty good condition. We only paid $250 for the whole bike which is amazing considering that it only needed some time to get it running again.

will post pics later today, but wanted to get the post for rebuild started. Anyone have any experience with these older 2 stroke bikes?
blbiker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,440
Welcome to the Smokey room great buy

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
bubba289
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I'm looking to do the same thing right now but with a 250 in the 81-86 range. in for pointers!
bubba289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
blbiker56 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba289 View Post
I'm looking to do the same thing right now but with a 250 in the 81-86 range. in for pointers!
well if you go buy a bike and it doesnt run i would definitely ask the seller if you can pull the cylinder to see if there is any damage to the crank or the piston cause it can get pretty pricey to fix that stuff if your trying to keep your build cheap, and parts can sometimes be hard to find. so bring some tools but the two strokes for most brands in this year range are extremely easy to get to and remove.
blbiker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
bubba289
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by blbiker56 View Post
well if you go buy a bike and it doesnt run i would definitely ask the seller if you can pull the cylinder to see if there is any damage to the crank or the piston cause it can get pretty pricey to fix that stuff if your trying to keep your build cheap, and parts can sometimes be hard to find. so bring some tools but the two strokes for most brands in this year range are extremely easy to get to and remove.
thanks for the advice. finding the right bike on the cheap is proving to be a challenge so far. i guess the early 80's bikes are old enough to be considered 'vintage' now because it seems like they go for as much as a mid to late 90's bike if they run. but the majority of them either don't run, are missing parts, plastic is broken or badly sun-faded, etc, etc.

i'm scouring craigslist like a mad man lately though lol
bubba289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
pvangel
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,430
If you are going to do it you have to do the crank and seals, the seals will leak if not done and mess up the whole bottom end. The other issue with the Hondas is the waterpump cavity because the cases are magnesium they seem to "rot" from the antifreeze and just start to crumble.

I just re did this 89,

Last month at Budds Creek,

It's a great bike!
pvangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #7
fire1998
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Best rattlecan frame paint and primer

Oops sorry
fire1998 is offline   Reply With Quote