User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #16
froggy68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Charlie Gulf Retirement Trip

Bookmarking this ride. Glad to see another Coastie on this site. Spent 4 years on Kodiak Island and other great Coast Guard Units. Not to give up my age but the Navy was pulling out of Kodiak and the Coast Guard was moving in as I left my last tour in Kodiak. Retired 1981 CPO/Yeoman. I might add that I truely enjoyed all of my CG service.

I think it is great that you and your wife are taking this motorcycle trip. It will be one that will give you both lasting memories.. I am heading for New Mexico in Mid August for my own ride through NW New Mexico, Colorado, Utah and Arizona. I also have acquired a Zook 650se for my journey and intend to camp and cook my way through those States,

May you have following winds and calm seas on your journey. Congratulations on you retirement, believe me, you will enjoy it.

Tom
Semper Paratus
froggy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #17
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,584
This looks great! Subscribed.

Just to inquire, what does a gunner's mate do in civilian life?
My uncle was an artillery sergeant, and found they wouldn't let him keep in practice once he retired. . .

All kidding aside, thanks for both your service and enjoy your trip.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #18
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 551
Cool2 have a time!

Looking forward to reading & wishing you a great trip!

FWIW, I've packed a tall stack in back (Coyote, Dry bag, Rotopax) & discovered a new way to get on the bike:
1) Kickstand down, bars turned left, from the right side grab the grips & squeeze the front brake to lock front
2) right foot on footpeg, lock rear brake
3) stand up & forward getting your center of weight over the front of the engine
4) swing left leg over gear then onto ground

The other way was kind of a right leg throw thru the seat from the kickstand side; not as good for me since a miss could cut the seat cover with the boot edge...I've had misses.

Hope you'll include what gear works well in your posts & not.

Did you consider a trailer for the DR https://picasaweb.google.com/chrissp...eat=directlink ?
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #19
write2ride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
We already had a our first run to Cycle Gear for last minute items. Took out my helmet for my first ride after the movers, and there was only one glove inside. I did find a pair in my tank bag, but I had set three pair aside for the trip. I thought they were in my gear bags, but they were not. Fortunately, I found a comfortable pair that were half off.
write2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:55 AM   #20
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by write2ride View Post
We already had a our first run to Cycle Gear for last minute items. Took out my helmet for my first ride after the movers, and there was only one glove inside. I did find a pair in my tank bag, but I had set three pair aside for the trip. I thought they were in my gear bags, but they were not. Fortunately, I found a comfortable pair that were half off.
Which half? Right or left?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #21
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,370
Gratz on your retirement... I'm very happy that Cheryl is in much better health than this time last year. I'm honored to call both of you my friends.

Have a great ride... Maybe I'll see you two on the road sometime in late June. I'm planning to ride to Illinois and back to visit my family.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #22
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,916
subscribed

cheryl and tim, glad to see you doing this trip.

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #23
3DChief OP
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
It is official now, I am retired from the US Coast Guard after 21 years 3 months, and 26 days. K L Rocket was there to share with us and act as a photographer, thanks Sharon!

Now is time for the real adventure to begin. We leave CA for Montana on Tuesday, spend a few days there getting admissions stuff done for college, then off to Indiana to start our adventure.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and advice! This is a pretty significant life change, what better way to start it than with an adventure?

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #24
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
It is official now, I am retired from the US Coast Guard after 21 years 3 months, and 26 days. K L Rocket was there to share with us and act as a photographer, thanks Sharon!

Now is time for the real adventure to begin. We leave CA for Montana on Tuesday, spend a few days there getting admissions stuff done for college, then off to Indiana to start our adventure.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and advice! This is a pretty significant life change, what better way to start it than with an adventure?

Tim
Congratulations. Again, thanks for your service. The Coast Guard is one of the most rigorous and least recognized of the forces. For those who know what you do, it's the most important.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #25
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post

Tim
Old 05-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #26
3DChief OP
"Moto therapist"

Cromoth,

I have looked at those trailers and even considered them briefly, but I think they would be more hassle than they would be worth, especially when the riding gets technical. I don't think we have enough weight or bulk in our luggage to justify a trailer.

I am considering building a light sidecar after this trip so we can take the dog along. Something small with a light frame. Basically a box for the dog to ride in plus some space for extra fuel and water and maybe a cooler.

Tim
Old 05-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #27
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,881
I bet a dog would ride pretty well on one of those trailers. It would probably be easier to pull than a sidecar, and simpler to build. I can see your dog riding above the gas & cooler, and his bag of Alpo!
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #28
3DChief OP
"Moto therapist"

Just picked up new Alpinestar WP Scout boots for both of us. We have been getting needed gear for the trip and new boots were on the "nice to have if we have the money at the end" and we did. Write2ride needed mens size 6, they had to be shipped from a store in Wisconsin. I think they are going to turn out to be a very wise purchase. Even though they are not really broke in yet, they are way more comfortable than the boots they replaced.

20 days until we are on the road starting the trip!

Tim
Old 05-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #29
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,881
I'd always wanted a pair of real motorcycle boots and stumbled across a pair of the Alpinestar WP Scout boots in my size, and it was the only pair left. They were only $150 and although I wasn't planning to spend that much I knew I'd better grab them, or regret it.

They didn't require any break-in. I am really happy with them. I feel a lot safer than I did before. They are very waterproof, until water goes over the top! I flooded them in a river crossing......that didn't go so well. I force dried them with an air blower overnight with no heat and they are as good as new.

They aren't the best for walking in, sort'a clunky. They are very well made and look like they will last for many years.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #30
3DChief OP
"Moto therapist"

If you think the Scouts are clunky to walk in, try MX boots! They are like running shoes compared to my old MX boots.

We have completed the first leg of the journey and are in Missoula, MT now. I have to do some stuff to finish setting up to start school this fall. We will be here about a week, then on to IN to see family, have a retirement celebration, and unload the bikes.

May 28th should be the day we roll out of IN on the bikes and head towards NC and our official starting point!

Tim