Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
bbqBiker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Leaking brake fluid reservoir

Hello G-Spotters.

This eve I tried to install the Ram (RAM-B-345U) mount that fits over the clutch fluid reservoir (not brake fluid reservoir as in post title) on my 01 R1150GS. Not sure how I f'd this one up, but I did. After I installed it (following directions to the T), I noticed a modest amount of DOT4 leaking from the left side of the left reservoir cover as the bars lean lean to the side.

I tried to tighten everything down a bit more to stop the weeping. One screw popped a head (before I even really torqued down on it.) When I did torque down on the other three, two things happened: 1) leak/weep never stopped, and 2) the bottom left screw now spins out meaning I must have stripped the screw receptacle in the reservoir.

I took everything off and reinstalled the reservoir cover with the original screws...still weeping now and bottom left screw still spins out. Super.

Any suggestions on an easy/timely fix?

Thank you in advance.

bbqBiker screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 10:26 PM Reason: meant clutch fluid reserve, not brake fluid reserve...duh.
bbqBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,362
I have one of those mounts installed on my front brake reservoir (interchangeable) and it's great. Never had a leak however I did have to adjust the seal (rubber boot) on it carefully before replacing the cover and tightening.

Those tiny bolts (same just longer than OEM) can only take so much and like any bolt they will snap. They only have to be snug in my experience.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
JurgenB
daily rider

Oddometer: 393
Had one of those mounts on my clutch reservoir (by the PO) and observed seepage as well.
I decided the lid was a POS and switched it back to the OEM cover.
I later drilled the POS lid and installed a funnel so I can use it to bleed my brakes.
2004 R1150GS ADV parked in Heidelberg
JurgenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
slickgj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I had 2 stripped screw holes (one on each cover) on the clutch and brake reservoir.

I re-threaded the hole with the original thread (M4 0.7 if I recall correctly) and then bought longer screws. The stock screws on my 1150gs are 16mm. I purchased some 22mm ones and interestingly the threads on the reservoirs go much deeper than the stock screws. So, there is a fair bit of available thread still down there. Plenty to snug up the cover.

I know this thread is old but just in case someone has a similar issue.

I also found a very small fragment of something wedged in the edge of my cover gasket. Not sure how it got there but once removed my small leak stopped.
slickgj is offline   Reply With Quote