ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #151
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!
 
Lobby's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Oddometer: 27,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Lobby, those coin pics are nice. What sort of lighting setup do you use?

Taking coin pics isn't as easy as it looks. It's aggravating, hair pulling stuff, until you get your lighting setup right.

This is what I'm doing right now:



The lights are from Target, LED's.
__________________
Gracie's Gold
Lobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #152
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!
 
Lobby's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Oddometer: 27,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
If you don't have one yet look at the 14-54 mkI as a good step up for that camera, I just bought a used one for my E-620 and the difference between that and the 14-42 is shocking. Plus it was only 280 from B&H in almost mint condition....KEH and Adorama have it for about the same price.
Amazing. The kit lens is pretty good, IMHO. If that other one is that much better, well, I might approach a Nikon.
__________________
Gracie's Gold
Lobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #153
AerialCameras
Awkward Boner
 
AerialCameras's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Wekiva Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 1,929
I've had an E-PL2 for only a few weeks and I'm already thinking of dumping the DSLR. The real love is being able to use my old OM and Nikon primes.

__________________
-



I ain't had no fun in London since the Hammersmith Palais
AerialCameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:51 AM   #154
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
75 is really long for a portrait lens on a 2x crop camera.

The 60mm Macro sounds sweet though, particularly with the OM-D tilting screen. Composing flower/bug shots at ground level thru a viewfinder blows goats. Those two, with a small tripod and a wider zoom would be a great compact nature/travel setup.
I know photographers who actually prefer the look of an equivalent 200mm lens (so a 100mm 4/3 sensors) for studio work. I think the preference has as much to do with not crowding the subject when shooting as it does with the look of the image. I know on my 35-100mm (4/3rds lens), I do clock it over to the 100mm side alot & just stand back a bit, which helps my kid sort of resist the urge to run up and hug me. I know the likelihood of models doing that to me is slim to none, but I think they subconsciously appreciate having the personal space, for other reasons. Anyways, at what I consider to be workable portrait distances, the 75mm/1.8 would be giving you something like 3-6" DoF to work with, which is great for its purpose.

Composing macros through a viewfinder definitely blows. I'm really really looking forward to the OM-D (which I think is their way of naming a whole new line of cameras, not just this particular camera...anything that is built by them w/ an integrated EVF, in the guise of the old OM models is their "OM-Digital." E-M5 happens to be this particular generation of OM-D. It looks effin' sweet. I think it stands a chance at handling 4/3 lenses quite well too, given its beefier voltage architecture, which gives me hope that my 14-35 f/2 & 35-100 f/2 still has an upgrade path.

I haven't owned 4/3 since getting rid of my e-p1 probably 2 yrs ago, & lent out all my lenses to my sister & friends (really happy with my 4/3 e-5 though). I think I'll be calling those sheep back to the herd soon. :)

DriveShaft screwed with this post 02-10-2012 at 06:52 AM
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #155
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 38,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
I know photographers who actually prefer the look of an equivalent 200mm lens (so a 100mm 4/3 sensors) for studio work. I think the preference has as much to do with not crowding the subject when shooting as it does with the look of the image. I know on my 35-100mm (4/3rds lens), I do clock it over to the 100mm side alot & just stand back a bit, which helps my kid sort of resist the urge to run up and hug me. I know the likelihood of models doing that to me is slim to none, but I think they subconsciously appreciate having the personal space, for other reasons. Anyways, at what I consider to be workable portrait distances, the 75mm/1.8 would be giving you something like 3-6" DoF to work with, which is great for its purpose.

Composing macros through a viewfinder definitely blows. I'm really really looking forward to the OM-D (which I think is their way of naming a whole new line of cameras, not just this particular camera...anything that is built by them w/ an integrated EVF, in the guise of the old OM models is their "OM-Digital." E-M5 happens to be this particular generation of OM-D. It looks effin' sweet. I think it stands a chance at handling 4/3 lenses quite well too, given its beefier voltage architecture, which gives me hope that my 14-35 f/2 & 35-100 f/2 still has an upgrade path.

I haven't owned 4/3 since getting rid of my e-p1 probably 2 yrs ago, & lent out all my lenses to my sister & friends (really happy with my 4/3 e-5 though). I think I'll be calling those sheep back to the herd soon. :)
Just reading the name of that lens makes me I can't let my 4/3 addiction go!
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #156
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 10,154
I'm definitely intrigued by the new 75/f1.8 lens, even if it might arguably be a bit long for portraiture. Many years ago I had an el-cheapo Vivitar 135/f2.8 lens that I got a lot of use out of for a fairly long time and really loved it. I see the 75 as being an updated reincarnation of that fine and useful lens. But I have a sneaky hunch that it's going to cost a pantload o' dough. I am willing to pay a reasonable price to have one (or any lens that I happen to want, for that matter), but I'm guessing it could be north of a grand, and if that is the case I'd probably pass. I have wanted one of the Voigtlander 25/f0.95 lenses for a while, but they are running around $1200 and that's just too big a nut for me to crack.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #157
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 10,154
Time to bump this one up & see if there's any interest. Olympus has released their OM-D, a digital m4/3 reincarnation of the old OM line of SLRs. The reviews are generally quite good. Here's one:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04...-D-E-M5-review

Does anyone here have this camera? Or are any inmates using m4/3 cameras/lenses and do you have any comments or experiences to share?
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #158
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I really liked my Pen with the only big beef being the lack of a built-in viewfinder. That aftermarket detachable one was bright and clear, but ungainly and insecure, and I lost one at a street fair where there were crowds and bumping and jostling. The GH2 is bulkier. The primary dimensions are similar to the Pen aside from the eyepiece, but even with the excellent 20mm pancake lens it's no pocket camera, more just like a nice compact SLR.

I agree that there are a few "tweaks" yet to be made to the m4/3 lineup. I'm curious to see what the GH3 is like when/if that one comes out one of these days.
While the GH3 is sure to offer improvements, If you get impatient, the G3 is actually quite a good offering, and as far as EVF's go, I always liked how Panny actually allows space for your nose. :) You won't be paying through the nose for the video stuff if you don't use it either. Even though I have a preference for dual control dials, I think I could adapt to Panny's single push-to-select dial pretty quick. I think I actually prefer that over Oly's fiddly second control dial on its pen series, which is just way too tiny & prone to accidental entry.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #159
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 10,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
While the GH3 is sure to offer improvements, If you get impatient, the G3 is actually quite a good offering, and as far as EVF's go, I always liked how Panny actually allows space for your nose. :) You won't be paying through the nose for the video stuff if you don't use it either. Even though I have a preference for dual control dials, I think I could adapt to Panny's single push-to-select dial pretty quick. I think I actually prefer that over Oly's fiddly second control dial on its pen series, which is just way too tiny & prone to accidental entry.
I'm not unhappy with the GH2, and I do like the fact that it is a really excellent video camera. I don't use that facet a whole lot, but do sometimes and am happy to have it. I'm content to wait and see what the GH3 (or whatever else comes along down the pike) has to offer. I had thought seriously about picking up an OM-D body, but have reconsidered. They still haven't "fixed" the C-AF in this format. Additionally, I really like the articulating LCD screen on the GH2 which can be rotated and put away entirely. I use the EVF almost exclusively except for video and the occasional very low or high angle shot, where the articulating screen really shines.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #160
Fredfredburger
CTRL ALT DEL
 
Fredfredburger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Chesapeake VA
Oddometer: 570
Anybody have a Panasonic GX1? I am looking to step up from my Panasonic point and shoot and I like the concept of the 4/3 mirrorless cameras, good photo quality with in a compact form factor that I may actually carry around. I like that I can get a zoom lens and shoot photos and video of my kids soccer games. I know it will not be as good as a DSLR but I would rather have something easier to pack on a motorcycle. The online reviews I read seem mostly favorable.
__________________
Yes!
Fredfredburger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #161
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 10,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredfredburger View Post
Anybody have a Panasonic GX1? I am looking to step up from my Panasonic point and shoot and I like the concept of the 4/3 mirrorless cameras, good photo quality with in a compact form factor that I may actually carry around. I like that I can get a zoom lens and shoot photos and video of my kids soccer games. I know it will not be as good as a DSLR but I would rather have something easier to pack on a motorcycle. The online reviews I read seem mostly favorable.
I'd go over to the Amazon website and read some of the customer reviews of the GX1. And go here for a more professional and comprehensive one:

http://www.dpreview.com/search/?quer...c+GX1&product=

I don't have one, have the GH2 and am quite happy with it, but the GH is a bit bulkier than the GX. You ought to be able to get very close to DSLR quality out of a micro4/3 camera with a few good lenses, and the selection there is quite good anymore with both Olympus and Panasonic coming out with quite a few and continuing to do so.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #162
overlandr
Dystopist
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 5,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by AerialFilm1 View Post
The real love is being able to use my old OM and Nikon primes.
I can never forgive Olympus for not providing a full frame digital body.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #163
Fredfredburger
CTRL ALT DEL
 
Fredfredburger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Chesapeake VA
Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I'd go over to the Amazon website and read some of the customer reviews of the GX1. And go here for a more professional and comprehensive one:

http://www.dpreview.com/search/?quer...c+GX1&product=

I don't have one, have the GH2 and am quite happy with it, but the GH is a bit bulkier than the GX. You ought to be able to get very close to DSLR quality out of a micro4/3 camera with a few good lenses, and the selection there is quite good anymore with both Olympus and Panasonic coming out with quite a few and continuing to do so.
Thanks, that was a very comprehensive review. I don't have a store near by with this camera in stock but I took the plunge and ordered one based on online research. It should be light years ahead of my old point and shoot and a good step up with out going whole hog on a DSLR set up.
__________________
Yes!
Fredfredburger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #164
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step
 
FLYING EYEBALL's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: southeast of seattle
Oddometer: 10,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
I can never forgive Olympus for not providing a full frame digital body.

Yeah, all 10 Olympus shooters would have bought one

As far as 4/3, no viewfinder and a shortage of wide angles that aren't $spendy$ will keep me away for now.
__________________
if you keep poor...the struggle is simple

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #165
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 10,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredfredburger View Post
Thanks, that was a very comprehensive review. I don't have a store near by with this camera in stock but I took the plunge and ordered one based on online research. It should be light years ahead of my old point and shoot and a good step up with out going whole hog on a DSLR set up.
I thought it looked pretty good too. What lens (or lenses) are you getting? I imagine it comes with one of the Panasonic kit lenses like the 14-42.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014