Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #46
Dunewar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
Allow me this one comment.
I had a similar noise on my '00 1150GS and it turned out to be the poly belt.
It had a 2" thread coming off the edge that would whack the cover depending on RPM.
I would have sworn the noise was coming from inside the engine.
Easy to check.....4 bolts
Actually I just checked the poly belt yesterday as a routine check whenever I have the cover off (to turn the engine for valve work). Smooth as a babies behind and nicely under tension, so nothing there...
Dunewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:29 AM   #47
Dunewar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryder View Post
Not at all hard to remove, fairly cheap to replace. Not likely too blow up until it cocks over a bit and suddenly becomes longer than anyone hoped for, resulting in a type of mechanical Armageddon.
Do you have a source to order the new style pushrods? And any source on how to install them?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #48
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 889
These threads will help a bit I hope. You can open up your oil filter and have a look for metallic bits.
Warning some pictures might disturb some viewers.
Very little info on the pushrods, but remove the rockers and there they are. Keep things in order so to replace bits where they came form. Look closely at the pushrod tips and where they are press fitted to the rods.

The pushrod design was changed and the new type are what you get when ordering replacements.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215134

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=507843&page=2

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=616187&page=5
Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #49
Dunewar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryder View Post
These threads will help a bit I hope. You can open up your oil filter and have a look for metallic bits.
Warning some pictures might disturb some viewers.
Very little info on the pushrods, but remove the rockers and there they are. Keep things in order so to replace bits where they came form. Look closely at the pushrod tips and where they are press fitted to the rods.

The pushrod design was changed and the new type are what you get when ordering replacements.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215134

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=507843&page=2

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=616187&page=5
Thanks, I think I will install new pushrods, it is not that expensive and looks doable for a medium mechanic such as myself. I did look at my oil filter, and there is no metal in there, not one bit. So it is more likely to be the pushrod then the tensioner and rail i suppose.

First I will try adjusting the rocker end play. Even if it is within spec (0.10 mm), maybe setting it at 0.05 could make a difference. After all, that is where they are on the right side.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:21 AM   #50
Dunewar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I installed the new pushrods yesterday (sorry, no pictures taken, didn't have the time).
The installation itself went pretty smooth, no problems whatsoever. It only took me two attempts to get the rocker arm endplay right, I could just get a 0.06 feeler in but nothing larger on both intake and exhaust side.I redid valve clearance then and put everything together.
On first startup, the engine sounded noticeably quieter, with just a faint rattle on the left side on startup that soon disappeared (the cam chain tensioner i suppose) and just the rustling of valves to be heard. Of course, I can't tell whether this is because of the new pushrods or the resetted rocker arm end-play.
I couldn't do a test ride yet due to a puncture in the rear tyre, but as soon as I will I'll get back to you.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:28 AM   #51
Dunewar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update

UPDATE :

I took the GS to see a client doing a round trip of about 300 km's in hot weather, mostly highway with some small roads at the end. I can say one thing for sure : the noise is definitely not gone! The clicking sound is still there, loud, rising with RPM's. One thing is different though : it no longer sounds like it is going to desintegrate after 5000 rpm.

I did not do a TB sync after the installation of the pushrods (and valve/rocker arm reset), but I should have done, because the GS became very buzzy around 5k RPM. I guess I could do that this weekend, but that won't make much difference to the noise that is driving me crazy.

also, I noticed that the exhaust note is very very loud when opening the throttle fully. It almost sounds like an open racing can, but it is the stock exhaust. Does this mean anything, or is this normal for an 18 year old bike? I never noticed before. It did have enough power to do a wheely in second when opening hard, so there does not seem to be any effect.

Ok, on with the quest for the unwanted noise. My options are :
- go for the left-side cam chain tensioner upgrade. Unlikely candidate, allthough it can never hurt.
- do nothing. Accept it as a character trait of the bike and ignore it untill it explodes...
- rip it open and inspect cam chains and followers. Unpleasant idea to have my only street worthy bike in pieces now summer is upon us.

any other input? All is welcome
Old 05-25-2012, 06:38 AM   #52
Burg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Argh, sorry to hear it! I have a similar noise in my right head (although I don't think to your extent), was hoping the push rods were the magical cure. I did a rocker end play adjustment and it definitely quieted things down, but still not fantastic. I've just decided to ride the snot out of it and see if things get any worse.

Best of luck, I'll be following this thread.
Burg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #53
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 889
Hoped that was it, sorry to hear it wasn't. I hesitate to suggest anything now.

I wish you luck.