Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #31
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
So what's the deal? Starting to look like a phish thread ... has anyone tried them? results?

Todd, you thinking front or rear?

I run the fronts, great on the husky. Not sure how they would work on the GS. Over 75 it will start the headshake kind of stuff on grooved pavement. Maybe it would be better with a heavier bike. Awesome offroad though, it's my 'velcro' tire. I've got a spare karoo II to try next but it looks like the Rally is gonna go at least 3-4K miles.

I don't have first hand knowledge on the rears, but my hunch is that you would burn one off in less than a thousand miles.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #32
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Todd, you thinking front or rear?

I run the fronts, great on the husky. Not sure how they would work on the GS. Over 75 it will start the headshake kind of stuff on grooved pavement. Maybe it would be better with a heavier bike. Awesome offroad though, it's my 'velcro' tire. I've got a spare karoo II to try next but it looks like the Rally is gonna go at least 3-4K miles.

I don't have first hand knowledge on the rears, but my hunch is that you would burn one off in less than a thousand miles.
Yo Chris ... looking at a new rear tire. I love the TKC-80, burned through 2 since end of Nov, but geez the price is out of control. I picked up a spare set of wheels for my GS and will put street tires on them. After thinking about it more and since I'll only use the nobbs for dirt rides, gonna go with more aggressive tires like the Mita-09 Dakar.

Besides, can't find one person who has run this new scorpion rally tire.

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #33
Ddorf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I have Pirelli Scorpion Rally ....

... on my HP2 in 140/80-18 and 90/90-21 and I love them.
The profile is for sure different than the ones for the GSin 19" and 17"(pic from P''tit Maurice)

On street they are almost as good as the TKC, but are much better off the road and last with my kind of driving 2000 km minimum, which is almost double the performance of the TKC and 8 times of my last Karoo.
They have a very stiff flange, almost as the Michelin Desert and once I had to run them for 30km with a flat without damaging the rim.
I am driving app. 50% on tarmac and 50% gravel roads, singlepathes,etc. on dry terrain here in South of France

Even if they are not cheap I just ordered the second set as I am very satisfied with these tires.
There are not so many knobies available which can resist the torque of the beast - they need to have a broad base.
Tiny little knobbies will tear off in an instant, if you twist the wrist.

Best Regards
Stefan
Ddorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #34
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Yo Chris ... looking at a new rear tire. I love the TKC-80, burned through 2 since end of Nov, but geez the price is out of control. I picked up a spare set of wheels for my GS and will put street tires on them. After thinking about it more and since I'll only use the nobbs for dirt rides, gonna go with more aggressive tires like the Mita-09 Dakar.

Besides, can't find one person who has run this new scorpion rally tire.
If you search with google there's a very thorough write up on a 950/990 running the scorp rally on both ends and the results. The tire is very good in all terrain but he vaporized a rear in 1200 miles. The front is/was his new favorite. I can find the thread if you're interested. It was what convinced me to try one on the front. Very happy with it offroad, just so-so for on.

The Mitas is a harder compound. Eric seems to have been satisfied enough with them to buy a second set. I was checking them out last Thursday and it's a nice looking tire.

The TKC's are not known for long life either, and yes, they're a little spendy for what you get. I think you'll be happy with the Mitas. The K60's are very popular, another one to consider although the center strip seems to negate some of the offroad capability the tire once had, adding to it's wear longevity. Revzilla has them for a good price, free ship.

What road tires did you choose? I'm running those Pirelli Scorpion Trails on the Versys and it's a really good tire. That's the one I rode on the Carrizo-Pozo ride. Great tire, good wear, comes on F800GS and Multistrada. Once aired down a bit, traction is quite surprising off pavement. Another popular one for the GS is the Tourance EXP's and Anakee II's. Probably a nod to the latter.

EDIT: here's the thread on the Rally report. Very thorough with good pics. It comes in a 140 too so I've been thinking about putting one on the back of the husky, see how it does. The Michelin T63 is getting down there, has about a thousand miles on it - maybe go another 500. I fear it may be toast before the rides are done in DV at the noob rally. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591036

browneye screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 07:32 AM
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #35
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
What road tires did you choose? I'm running those Pirelli Scorpion Trails on the Versys and it's a really good tire. That's the one I rode on the Carrizo-Pozo ride. Great tire, good wear, comes on F800GS and Multistrada. Once aired down a bit, traction is quite surprising off pavement. Another popular one for the GS is the Tourance EXP's and Anakee II's. Probably a nod to the latter.
I still have a set of Tourance tires that only have about 1K on them so that's what's going on for now. Another friend loves and swears by the Anakee's. Wondering what I can find as a pure street tire for the GS 19 and 17 wheels.

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #36
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
I still have a set of Tourance tires that only have about 1K on them so that's what's going on for now. Another friend loves and swears by the Anakee's. Wondering what I can find as a pure street tire for the GS 19 and 17 wheels.
The Michelin Pilot Road 3's come up on the streetbike forums over and over. A much loved tire. On sale at MCSS:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

Available in the right size for you too.

Seriously though, take a look at that scorp trail. A great road tire that will do the occasional off-pavement duty. Also available right sizes for the GS: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...chAutoComplete

PR2's:

Old 04-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #37
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 736
Those Pirelli's look good on the Super Tenere.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #38
mhambone

Oddometer: n/a
I have one (Rear) in the garage but am waiting for my TKC-80 to wear out.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #39
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

These scorpion rally's are starting to show up everywhere, and they seem to be well liked, especially for the money.

Aram (Buster) at SoloMoto parts is running one on his F800 and likes it. Here's their vendor thread here on ADVrider: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773336

And the 'Wans' are running them on their 990, 2-up all over Death Valley with good reports. Here's their (her) cute ride report and a couple of mentions on their tires: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774723

I think they cost quite a bit less than either mitas or tkc, and if they last as long and perform just as well, then it's an easy choice. I think I'm gonna pick one up for the husky and see how it does. They're right at $100 for the 140 size, a little more for the bigger tire for the GS I'm sure.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #40
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

The rear is too aggressive for my kind of riding but I like the look of the front. Anybody know how well they wear on the R1200GS/A yet?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #41
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BordenBmw View Post
The rear is too aggressive for my kind of riding but I like the look of the front. Anybody know how well they wear on the R1200GS/A yet?
The front pattern is more aggressive than the rear. The rear is not as aggressive as say, a D606 or MT21. More comparable to a tkc, mitas, or D908. It's definitely a FIM tire with shorter knobs. Most reports are for reasonable longevity, especially considering it's price point.

The front is a full knob type dot tire. It works REALLY well on dirt, and satisfactory on pavement. Would not be my first choice for 80% road. However most users would say it out-peforms D606, MT21, TKC, and any of the karoo iterations.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #42
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

The tire tread pattern is really aggressive on the 90/90 21 but on the 110/80 19 the tread pattern looks very similar the Karoo t and TKC80 in size 110/80 19 or just slightly more aggresive.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #43
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Ah yes, I see.

The 140 rear looks different too. Surprising they call them all by the same name.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #44
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Yes... very suprising doesn't look like the same tires, but they are! I didn't know about the rear... strange!

Edit: Here's a pic of a 140: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=685523&page=2

Also an excellent review on the 110 and 150 from an italian magazine. After reading it, I just may have to try them:

http://translate.google.ca/translate...26prmd%3Dimvns

and;

http://translate.google.ca/translate...26prmd%3Dimvns

Quote:
Ah yes, I see.

The 140 rear looks different too. Surprising they call them all by the same name.

BordenBmw screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 09:03 AM
BordenBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #45
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 2,088
Just ordered a set for my GS from motorcycle-superstore. Had a 5% coupon so they were 235 shipped. Can't beat that. The heidi set that I'm currently running was damn near 400 shipped. I doubt they'll last half as long as the heidis (which I swear are made of ceramic... fuck these things can't be killed), but we'll see.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote