Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #91
Philip Kuntz OP
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,678
We got as far as Clayton OK. Camp is all.set up, and we have no service there. We will check in tommorrow and put up some more pics hopefully.
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #92
Tinks
Imp of Satan

Oddometer: 20,360
Note to all: Nice folks. Would have them back at my house again any time.

(Mr. Disaster) Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #93
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
Looks like the puppydog found a good home....

I don't remember it being calm enough to sit down though.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #94
Philip Kuntz OP
Fleasy Rider

I have a crappy internet connection, but we are going to stay another day in Clayton, OK. The camping is pretty cheap and the Clayton Lake State Park is really pretty. We watched a snake swimming around this morning, and ate some good food at one of the local places.

The Talimena Scenic Drive was great.

The best BLTs ever, back in Grand Rivers, KY at a little place called Pokey's Cafe/ Bait Shop/ Golf cart rentals. I will go into this later, but Larry (the owner) was a hoot.

He collects things that kill pests, these flowers are made of Arsenic and are supposed to kill flys.

You know you are in a laid back place when the owner has no shoes on.

He also had a 76 CB200 that was in nice shape.

We met a man named Hunter right after we got into MO. Hell of a nice guy, like everyone else we have met.

I will post up some more updates soon, we have a crapload of pics. There are more uploaded to my smugmug account here:

http://kuntz.smugmug.com/AlaskaTour-1/Pre-tour/22476659_mjqZMV#!i=1797327311&k=QtpMPJJ

Philip Kuntz screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 01:57 PM
Old 05-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #95
Philip Kuntz OP
Fleasy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
Kim and I just wanted to say thanks again for everything. We enjoyed your company very much, and it was a welcome break from camping and a nice rest from the road. And Kim says she is already having withdrawals from your wonderful Java.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #96
scoon66
Who is the Coon?

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Kuntz View Post
Kim and I just wanted to say thanks again for everything. We enjoyed your company very much, and it was a welcome break from camping and a nice rest from the road. And Kim says she is already having withdrawals from your wonderful Java.
It was fun having you stay! :)
scoon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #97
Tinks
Imp of Satan

Oddometer: 20,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Looks like the puppydog found a good home....

I don't remember it being calm enough to sit down though.
She is getting obedience trained. (That means I'm doing it ) I can't have a wild dog at the house. The longer we have her the less we want her to go...but I insist on blaming her for being such a good dog. It's all her fault.

(Mr. Disaster) Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #98
KimPossible
XT Diver!:)

Oddometer: 816
Met a man who can trace his great, great, great grandfather to his birth in 1831. Born Choctaw and family removed to Clayton, Oklahoma on The Trail Of Tears. I can't tell you how moved I am by the Choctaw Indians. Women are the builders of huts, plant the crops, make clothing, baskets, and the only tribe where women danced for all occasions. Whether it was social or for war. More later....
KimPossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #99
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,157
Thats the beauty of traveling on a bike, most folks are overly friendly. Gotta luv the Talimena! Its the Blue Ridge Parkway without the speed limit. Be safe!.....
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #100
prstone50
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
come on up

Sounds like a fun trip!

If you find yourself near Laramie , Wyoming contact me. I have a nice camper in the yard, hot shower, great beer, okay food and well supplied motorcycle shops! Couple of other inmates in town too. Heading out to Dawson forD2D around the 12TH of Jun
e if you want company for awhile . Drop me a pm .
prstone50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #101
KimPossible
XT Diver!:)

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Thats the beauty of traveling on a bike, most folks are overly friendly. Gotta luv the Talimena! Its the Blue Ridge Parkway without the speed limit. Be safe!.....
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prstone50 View Post
Sounds like a fun trip!

If you find yourself near Laramie , Wyoming contact me. I have a nice camper in the yard, hot shower, great beer, okay food and well supplied motorcycle shops! Couple of other inmates in town too. Heading out to Dawson forD2D around the 12TH of Jun
e if you want company for awhile . Drop me a pm .
Will do... Thanks for the invite!
KimPossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #102
Philip Kuntz OP
Fleasy Rider

Here was the crossing of the Mississippi, which was a first for me. This felt incredible to me, and I know I have not seen much yet.

We took a right and went into Cairo, IL. Some cool old buildings are located there, but it didn't take long to realize that it was not a place to stop. Kim shot a bunch of pics from the bike, and we headed for MO.

Hunter told us to check out Lamberts, or at least stick our heads in the door. We pigged out, the fried okra pass-around was fantastic, and my chicken and dumplins', plus the throwed rolls with apple butter were amazing!

Kim's Chops.

This was on our way to Doniphan, MO, in the middle of nowhere.

This was the norm.

Then we spent a couple of days in Van Buren, MO. We are both glad we stayed there, as we met some nice folks. Despite the fact that we were the only ones camping in the entire campground...
Old 05-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #103
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,157
I stopped by Lamberts a couple of weeks ago. There had to be ten tour bus'es in the lot and a Corvette club on its way to Hot Springs Ark. They were lined up out door so I got back on the highway. I do like their food but I end up eating way too much. How do you say no to okra, black eyed peas and tatos? They can keep their damn throwed rolls. IMO the good riding and eating starts when you cross the Big Muddy. Where you cats at now?.....What are the yellow flowers or weeds that cover the fields down there?

exoff-roadgoat screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 08:49 AM
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #104
DataDaddy
@ the new dad thing

Oddometer: 7,557
Have a great trip. I found it interesting how things got farther and farther apart as you go West...

Quote:
Here was the crossing of the Mississippi, which was a first for me. This felt incredible to me, and I know I have not seen much yet.

Check your camera settings... you don't want a pesky date stamp in the corner of all your pictures

Quote:
This was the norm.

Then we spent a couple of days in Van Buren, MO. We are both glad we stayed there, as we met some nice folks. Despite the fact that we were the only ones camping in the entire campground...

oh, that's really good -- AceRph, Alcan06
DataDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #105
Schmyr
G narley Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Laugh Philip, Just messaged you

Just sent you a message about my upcoming ride up the Alaska Hwy, Let me know if our plans might match up.
My plan is to leave Oroville, Wa ( Middle of Washington State up near the Canadian Border) on the 14th of May and head up the Alaska Highway either through Prince George to Dawson Creek or Prince George through Smithers and up the Cassiar Hwy. I will be going to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. If it works in your scheduling let me know.

Schmyr screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 01:32 PM
Schmyr is offline   Reply With Quote