Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #376
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,114
One option is a rewind of your stator, but wire insulation rated at 200C or better is needed...
From what I have read most shops don't have something that exotic....

I have not checked out any of the sources below, so consider them "leads":

http://www.electrosport.com/street-b...phase-102.html

https://www.rmstator.com/en/motorcyc...categories.htm

http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/stators.php

I think Indy ordered one of these:
http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/2007-2011-BMW-F800S-F-800S-Stator

JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #377
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Circling back: Why don't stators burn up on the F800S ?

Circling back:

Why don't stators burn up on the F800S / F800ST?

Did Rotax/BMS "re-design" the flywheel when they came out with the F800GS and screw it up?

JRWooden screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 05:50 AM
Old 05-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #378
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Circling back:

Why don't stators burn up on the F800S / F800ST?

Did Rotax/BMS "re-design" the flywheel when they came out with the F800GS and screw it up?
They do.. Read the BMW ON's magazine from a couple of months ago, there's an article on Voni Glaves' 800ST having "battery trouble" and her hubby went thru all the diagnostics, changed battery, (i knew all along it's the stator thanks to this great forum / site) which eventually he figured it out. He's got a big pictorial article detailing all he did to diagnose and then fix the problem. Trouble started for them when riding thru Alaska.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #379
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
They do.. Read the BMW ON's magazine from a couple of months ago, there's an article on Voni Glaves' 800ST having "battery trouble" and her hubby went thru all the diagnostics, changed battery, (i knew all along it's the stator thanks to this great forum / site) which eventually he figured it out. He's got a big pictorial article detailing all he did to diagnose and then fix the problem. Trouble started for them when riding thru Alaska.
Yeah, they do. I have also read about it on F800riders and the German F800 forum from S and ST owners.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #380
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks gents....

I saw Paul's article ... just for some reason "assumed" that the problem was not as serious on the non-GS bikes.

Sigh................ well I guess that makes me feel better -- misery loves company ?

I would REALLY like to see a picture of the new flywheel design....
Old 05-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #381
Against The Wind
I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer: 1,302
Me too. Will the new design allow more oil cooling? If you see it, please post it.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #382
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Against The Wind View Post
Me too. Will the new design allow more oil cooling? If you see it, please post it.
The implication is that the design will allow for oil cooling, or possibly air cooling ... it's not clear ... at least to me ...

But yeah... whoever sees one first needs to snap pictures for the rest of us ... so that we can see if we think its a worthwhile $900 upgrade?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #383
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
I have a question.
Does anyone know whether the toasted look of the stator comes gradually, or is it a sudden thing?
What I'm getting at, can we pull the cover and say, hmmm, that's on the way out, better replace it before my 15,000km ride in August?

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #384
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
It should darken the epoxy quickly within the first few thousand miles but once it cooks extra dark it it will start to show flaking and brittle failure. that is when it cant support the wires anymore and the violent forces of magnets ripping by the copper coils causes then to vibrate and break. Then we got a useless stator.
So the key is finding an epoxy we can apply to a new rewind that can take 200C. They are out there but usually include high tech mold and vacuum impregnation. I am still searching for something we can dip and cure that can handle 200C and protect the wires from violent vibrations.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #385
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
That's not how these stators are failing in my experience.

I have held one in my hands that due to instrumentation and a customers watchful eye, and luck, was caught and the bike shut off within a mile of failure.

The magnet wire insulation failed and shorted while the epoxy was just fine. Dark, but still strong and not failing anywhere.

Ride a bike with a shorted stator and temperatures will exceed 500 C, so of course the epoxy will fail along with the magnet wire oxidizing or even melting, but that's all consequential.

It's the magnet wire insulation that fails from heat induced aging, not the epoxy dip.

You could tell a stator that wasn't likely to fail due to color, but by 10k miles you can't tell one from good for another 20k miles from one on deaths door because what causes the failure is internal to the epoxy dip.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #386
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
I found the superceeded stator assembly at San Fran BWM and pulled the trigger on it. I ride my bike every day and I can't wait for the new item to show up on our shores. Hopefully this one will last another 50K miles. I'm going to install one of the LED voltage monitors to keep an eye on it. It was a pretty straight forward swap. I think I knocked it out under two hours.

Here's a side by side comparo with the new part and the old, fried one.

Crispy bits were all inside cover. I'll be doing an oil change tomorrow.

Most of the epoxy coating got hot enough to melt away.

I'm hoping we can eventually find a vendor that can do rewinds that meet the spec of our bikes. It would be nice to have one for a spare since I've had both of my GSs stators fail and they've been replaced with superceeded parts.

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #387
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJ View Post
I found the superceeded stator assembly at San Fran BWM and pulled the trigger on it. I ride my bike every day and I can't wait for the new item to show up on our shores. Hopefully this one will last another 50K miles. I'm going to install one of the LED voltage monitors to keep an eye on it. It was a pretty straight forward swap. I think I knocked it out under two hours.

Here's a side by side comparo with the new part and the old, fried one.

Crispy bits were all inside cover. I'll be doing an oil change tomorrow.

Most of the epoxy coating got hot enough to melt away.

I'm hoping we can eventually find a vendor that can do rewinds that meet the spec of our bikes. It would be nice to have one for a spare since I've had both of my GSs stators fail and they've been replaced with superceeded parts.
Ride a lot! All parts over counter OR parts replaced in the shop after the bikes warranty expires carry at minimum a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

If you can't kill it in 1 year and 11 months, let be know and I can LOL, then you will get the updated part for free
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:02 AM   #388
Olvi
Ice Butt

Oddometer: 98
Just to throw reckless idea on the table. I haven't checked yet but would F650GS/Dakar stator fit/work? At least the spare part number is not the same as with F800.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:14 AM   #389
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJ View Post
MonsterJ:
Looking at the parts catalog, I thought the stator was only available as part of a "kit" that included the flywheel....
Do you have the P/N handy for the superseded stator by it's self?
It sure does look different, I wonder how/if it's better?
Old 05-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #390
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
Ride a lot! All parts over counter OR parts replaced in the shop after the bikes warranty expires carry at minimum a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

If you can't kill it in 1 year and 11 months, let be know and I can LOL, then you will get the updated part for free
No exclusion for "electrical" parts?

PS: It's a good thing you're no longer a "company man" ... or BMW would have to kick your ass for this kinda talk!