Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #16
bradatlarge
Insha'Allah

Oddometer: 12,176
1. I started watching F1 right after Senna died. The movie was phenomenal.

2. I'm not afraid to admit that I cried.

3. Rabid fan of what they did with the movie - the coverage of the internal machinations, incredible.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #17
jay956
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Watched it a few days ago. Being 23, and not knowing a lot of racing history, i honestly didn't know who Senna was. But shortly after the movie started I felt like I already knew him and was up to date with F1 history. Very well made.
jay956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #18
BIERSKI
Life Is Good

Oddometer: 53
I did not follow F1 at the time of Senna's reign as champion. But, I wish I did. I learned about Senna in the book "The Art of Racing in the Rain" (good read by the way). And, up to recently I did not know that my best friend (taosgsr) named his dog after Senna. I just thought that was a cool name for his dog. Little did I know where the name came from. Just by coincidence my wife and I decided to watch "Senna" tonight, not realizing that 8 years ago that Ayrton Senna died on this day.

BIERSKI screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 10:12 PM
BIERSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #19
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Oddometer: 1,105
Actually it was 19 years ago (1994).

I really only very casually pay attention to F1 but any racing will catch my attention when it's on tv.
As it was that day.

Me and my then 8 year old son just happened to have the tv on that Sunday morning and Speedvision or ESPN or someone was broadcasting the race.
Always remembered that we saw it televised (maybe a replay even, not really sure).

Wasn't till I saw this facinating doc a couple of weeks ago that I realised the magnitude of Senna's impact on F1 in general and Brazil in particular.

Worth seeing if you're even casually interested in F1 for sure.
Trailing Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #20
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay956 View Post
Watched it a few days ago. Being 23, and not knowing a lot of racing history, i honestly didn't know who Senna was. But shortly after the movie started I felt like I already knew him and was up to date with F1 history. Very well made.
Please note that Senna is as much fiction as it is reality. It's carefully constructed to create one hero and multiple villains. It is not an honest telling of Senna's story in F1. It is a hagiography.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #21
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Please note that Senna is as much fiction as it is reality. It's carefully constructed to create one hero and multiple villains. It is not an honest telling of Senna's story in F1. It is a hagiography.
Yep.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #22
Agman
Ranching Rider

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Wax, I was there up close and personal in the mid 80's and admittedly I was a Prost fan and I'll tell you that Senna drove like an idiot. Prost, however, was always accountable. It was two different kinds of driver talent.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #23
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,653
As already observed, much in the Senna documentary was slightly over-emphasized. Though, it did a great job of highlighting the struggles with his personal lifestyle (kind, generous, overbearing charitable work), and his on the track style (aggressive, reckless, and at times, just down right dirty). I was only 7 at the time of his death, but when we weren't racing enduros on Sundays, my dad and I watched Formula 1.

Like everyone else, I didn't understand what happened at the time. Not until the 10 year anniversary was I aware of the Roland Ratzenberger tragedy and the impact of both of their deaths on the whole sport.

Now, my generation is simply over come by him and seems to want to learn more.

To supplement the documentary, watch the top gear tribute.

http://vimeo.com/26844933

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #24
wxwax
Excited Member

To me, Senna was an incredibly talented, incredibly competitive driver who was a selfish, disruptive prima donna and who would basically stop at nothing to win a race and a title.

That last quality reminds me of Schumacher. Nobody said winning race car drivers have to be honorable men. That's what I find to be so dishonest about the "documentary." Why not admit the truth? Senna was good enough to overcome the negatives. Just like Michael is good enough to overcome parking his car at the 2008 Monaco Grand Prix to spoil Alonso's qualifying.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #25
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
To me, Senna was an incredibly talented, incredibly competitive driver who was a selfish, disruptive prima donna and who would basically stop at nothing to win a race and a title.

That last quality reminds me of Schumacher. Nobody said winning race car drivers have to be honorable men. That's what I find to be so dishonest about the "documentary." Why not admit the truth? Senna was good enough to overcome the negatives. Just like Michael is good enough to overcome parking his car at the 2008 Monaco Grand Prix to spoil Alonso's qualifying.

Documentary? Hmmm, not so sure. It's a fillum about Senna and the F1 circus at that time I would have thought, focussing on his charisma, talent (unquestionable!), and driver safety. If rufflling feathers regarding driver safety constitutes being a 'selfish, disruptive prima donna', well, sorry....How many drivers have died in F1 since?
Old 05-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #26
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTLACE View Post
If rufflling feathers regarding driver safety constitutes being a 'selfish, disruptive prima donna', well, sorry....How many drivers have died in F1 since?
Eh?

Senna was known for his belief that his god was the only arbiter of safety. It's one of the reasons why other drivers were wary of him on-track.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:38 AM   #27
BIERSKI
Life Is Good

Oddometer: 53
Oops... I never was good at math. Yea 19 years ago. Damn, that makes me older then I thought I was. Considering 4 years before his death I grauduated high school.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #28
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
Eh?

Senna was known for his belief that his god was the only arbiter of safety. It's one of the reasons why other drivers were wary of him on-track.
Hello!

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #29
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTLACE View Post
Documentary? Hmmm, not so sure. It's a fillum about Senna and the F1 circus at that time I would have thought, focussing on his charisma, talent (unquestionable!), and driver safety. If rufflling feathers regarding driver safety constitutes being a 'selfish, disruptive prima donna', well, sorry....How many drivers have died in F1 since?
He was a terrible teammate.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #30
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Hello!