Why mess with a good thing 38 7.66%
Voters: 496. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #136
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnsfxr View Post

A 4 speed? No one is gonna make a tranny with that wide of a gear ratio that 4 gears would be enough to give you the necessary crawl and the highway too. Did you ever ride any of the 4 speed Open Class Motocrossers from years gone by?
Yes, thats where my idea comes from, the first YZF400 :-)

One should be able to concentrate on reading the path, not be busy with finding the right gear, the fixation on HP has ruined usability of lots of bikes imho, who needs 120 mph on a ADV bike, i've never dared to go beyond 95 mph offroad, there it stops for me to read ahead...
Rema in Paluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #137
KLRnit OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
So.....

I did send this thread by email in a very business type format to KAWI about 2 months ago. I never expected to recieve a reply back and thats what has happened, no reply. Sorry everybody i tired. No real updates for me other than I bought a wrecked Versys and the Emig KLX450 conversion is sitting in my garage ready to go on along with some 450 forks.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #138
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
Kawasaki was never going to build a parallel-twin KLR650. We can all hope but it's not going to happen. No reply back to your email, is not surprising either. There are no updates on my bike either. It's still being built. Still much to do. We are going for quality, not speed of build. I hope to get it back sometime this Winter.

It's just as well. I've been distracted with other projects. Just built myself a killer Bushmaster ACR.

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #139
Pulasky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
I was thinking about a TRANSALP frame and er6 engine marrige...these two seems to match to each other.
Attached Images

Pulasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #140
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulasky View Post
I was thinking about a TRANSALP frame and er6 engine marrige...these two seems to match to each other.
oooooooooooooooooo. let's see it.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #141
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Seems to me the best/cheapest/quickest thing for Kawasaki to do would be to stroke the 650 motor to 750 or 800cc and put it in a Versys with a 19" front.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #142
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Met a Kawasaki test rider at church a few weeks ago. ran into him again today. told him where to find this and the del rio thread. he said he will check them out and pass the word on to R&D.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #143
KLRnit OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
Met a Kawasaki test rider at church a few weeks ago. ran into him again today. told him where to find this and the del rio thread. he said he will check them out and pass the word on to R&D.
Did you hear back from him. My bike will be done around tax time. KLX 450 Emig fork swap, long travel rear shock, and Versys swap
Old 12-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #144
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

nope. haven't seen his bike either. big church, only way i'll find him is if his bike is in the parking lot.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #145
Lvl. 29 Adventurer
Garage Inmate

Oddometer: 44
Bump

Any word on the Versys engine swaps yet? WTF?!?! I know Kawi isn't going to do a new bike based on customer feedback... if they did that KLR's would have better suspensions and no doohickey problems. I bought a cheap bike so I can save towards something awesome. SamM you get your guy to figure any more stuff out or hit a roadblock? I want info so I can salvage a tore up KLR and make it sweet! If your guy has a kit going together how about price estimates? I'm poor and need to see how much I need to cut back on buying beer and ammo...
Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #146
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,899
The KLR twin, if it stayed along the lines of the current KLR, ie simple and cheap would be awesome.
Problem is that by the time Kawi would add some R&D, a twin motor, better suspension the price would be too close to a Tenere or a Tiger.
Kawasaki have a proven seller using 25 year old motors and frames, generating a healthy profit, lets call it a bread and butter bike so, why would they mess with it. Unfortunately, large corps look at bottom lines, not listen to rider reviews. KTM are the only company I have seen improve the bikes based on rider complaints.
If Kawasaki were listening, they would surely have put a decent doohickey in there instead of repairing hundreds of motors due to to faulty, well publicized components.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #147
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
You guys are pissing in the wind, no one cares about such a narrowly focused bike. Which one of the "dual sport" bikes is truly a good dual sport right out of the dealership? All of them are compromised in some way, and suck pretty much at everything. Any of the current dual sport bikes mostly just look the part...

So why not just build a Versys to be a decent DP, like countless people have done with the Wee Strom, instead of mixing two bikes?

No one is going to come up with good DP bikes, because... 95% of the DP bikes sold never go off the pavement, and out of the 5% that do, 85% are just riding in the lawn.

I can see the point on building your own KLR with a Versys engine, your own custom made bike, exactly how you wanted it. But, for a new bike? You can already buy it new, from the BWM dealership and it's called F650GS, more power, smoother engine and better MPGs.

Süsser Tod screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 10:32 PM
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #148
backroadbender
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulasky View Post
Just ran across this post.Did you ever do anything with it ? I was thinking I would be an exlant match. A solid motor with good performance good milleage ,enough elect for lights,gear,ect.in a go anywhere frame. If your doing thing with it please let us know.
backroadbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #149
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
I doubt Kawasaki will drop the KLR as long as they have a contract with the Marine Corps. The U.S. government is probably paying $10,000 per unit.

It wouldn't take much for Kawasaki to build an "adventure Versys" by simply re-routing the exhaust higher up, slapping a larger front wheel, a cheap plastic (KLR like) skid pan & dual sport tires. This bike would still cut into KLR civillain sales so it probably won't happen but, it wouldn't take much & I won't be shocked to see Kawasaki do it eventually.

Then again, Kawasaki is notorious for ignoring bikes EVERYONE wants. They were the last to build a 450 motocrosser.

I doubt we'll see any kind of "state of the art" ADV bike from Kawasaki unless Yam/Hon/Suz do it first & sell em like hot cakes.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote