Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #63736
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
So the question is, should I do anything else while I'm in there?
The oil pump drive gear is some sort of resin/fiber construction, so I replaced it (at 15,000 miles). It's $19.94 and #7 here:
http://www.bikebandit.com/2004-suzuk...5873#sch502975

There is also a seal in the clutch cover I'd replace while in there. It's shown on the crankshaft page, #10 here:
http://www.bikebandit.com/2004-suzuk...5873#sch502988

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
To be accurate, they are not Philips, but are JIS screws (Japanese Industrial Standard). With a proper screwdriver (not a Philips), they come out easily without resorting to an impact tool. Proper JIS drivers are readily available on the interweb and worth getting when working on Japanese motorcycles.

I couldn't think of a short way to say that, glad you did. I'll edit and add your post to mine, for the record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
A good set of the JIS screwdrivers would be worth getting. I guess I better order some.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard911 View Post
Aw come on, what model, how much $, is there a matching clutch lever, and what are the two minor mods? You can tell us, we'll keep it a secret, I promise.
I saw on one of the other DR sites recently that Procycle is close to offering a set of shorty levers, I hope that they are adjustable also.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 11:15 AM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #63737
Go Irish75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
To be accurate, they are not Philips, but are JIS screws (Japanese Industrial Standard). With a proper screwdriver (not a Philips), they come out easily without resorting to an impact tool. Proper JIS drivers are readily available on the interweb and worth getting when working on Japanese motorcycles.
Thanks for the enlightenment. I wish I had known this for the past 18 years of goobering up fastener heads on my import bikes. Just ordered up a set of screwdrivers and drill bit drivers, thanks.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #63738
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailrider58 View Post
SNIP .... Don't get me wrong, I love my DR and won't ever part ways, but for our future trail adventure excursions, I'm going with something lighter and more trail worthy. The DRZ will be my first option.

For what its' worth, my DR has the lowered suspension and I was carrying the bulk of our tool needs. So I had her packed down pretty heavy. It is bone stock and wears Dunlop 606s front and rear. In addition, let's just say I'm not in the shape I should be in at this age, so that stressed the suspension even more.

But also in fairness, my riding partners are just in another class than me. Both were on DRZs. Ted has over 30 years of enduro racing experience in Ohio. John A. races vintage Italian street bikes mainly in the Pennsylvania and West Virginia areas. Both are very experienced riders and in decent shape. Though originally from these very parts of Arkansas, I have been a Texas gulf coast flatlander for the past 20+ years. SNIP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC86OTxX6bE
I thought you did just fine on your DR650! I didn't notice your buddies running away and disappearing on you there ... and I never saw you fall! You done good, IMHO! Obviously, in those muddy, knarly conditions, the DR650 is not ideal. But then, IMO, neither is the DRZ. I owned the E model for 3 years, which is worlds better than the S model I believe your buddies were on.

Even my E would be challenged in that Arkansas muck, rocks and roots.
Sure, the DRZ is better than the DR, but they suck at just about every thing else ... and anything that has to do with pavement. And in truly technical riding are difficult, IMO. (especially for old guys)

If you really want to be comfortable on the trails shown in your U Tube, I'd be going with a 250 of some kind. My old XR250R would eat up trails like that, and my current WR250F is actually fun in those conditions. My WR250F is about 80 lbs. lighter weight than the DRZ400S, plus less rotating mass which really makes a difference when trying to hustle through the woods and dodging trees.

The DRZ is now, over 12 years old and has never been updated. It's out dated. Several other legal and non legal bikes are a better bet. But the DRZ is a great value and many of the competition I refer to are not so cheap. But consider the following bikes for muddy trail rides:

WR250 "R" (street legal) or "F" (off road version)
Husqvarna TE250 (street legal)
Any Two Stroke MX'er conversion or Enduro Two Stroke like KTM 250 or 300exc.

Do you need be street legal to ride out there? Did you ride your DR650 there from Texas? Or truck it? If you're trucking anyway, may as well bring the right weapon! (I think you mentioned two strokes in your garage)

Any small KTM 250, 300, 350 or 450. two or four stroke, all good.
450cc Husaberg. Fantastic bikes! (Used ones are reasonable $)
XR250R (cheap $, fun, capable in the woods!)

I'm currently shopping for a used Two Stroke myself. Something set up for trail riding. $1500 to $2000 budget, hopefully. Light, cheap to run, and if set right, unbeatable.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 11:40 AM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #63739
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
whoa
Quote:
Originally Posted by msanna View Post
With the proper set-up you can take the DR650 pretty much anywhere.
"suspension test"

Click the Pic

Old 05-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #63740
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard911 View Post
Aw come on, what model, how much $, is there a matching clutch lever, and what are the two minor mods? You can tell us, we'll keep it a secret, I promise.
I saw on one of the other DR sites recently that Procycle is close to offering a set of shorty levers, I hope that they are adjustable also.
Doesn't a shorter lever lessen your leverage, thus requiring more hand force to achieve same results?

I learned years ago racing AMA Enduro to move lever perches inboard some, and to then work the END of the lever. Less effort, less fatigue, more braking power.

I started on Husky two strokes in the 80's. (what a nightmare) Terrible brakes. My right hand would simply wear out ... and I could not longer brake! Not good coming down 30 degree downhills. A new YZ250 Yam solved most of that for me ... but when working hard, fatigue is a factor and you must use every trick to save yourself. Thats why they call it Enduro!

What the DR needs is a real front brake. A full brembo system? Bigger rotor? Nothing but money.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #63741
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,905
Grifter - Agreed. It wasn't a race & you kept 'em in sight without trouble. Somewhere in this thread is my idiotic rocky trail climb & me and the DR in the air. It'll do whatever you point it at. That trail ride looks fun and much different than I get into in the SW. I did recently run into a deal on a '86 KDX 200 so I'll be trying the "lighter" side of things once in a while.

And for those hawking the JIS screwdrivers - thank you. I "needed" a reason to buy more tools. Fortunately, I found 'em on Amazon at the same time I ordered the Kindle Fire for my wife for Mother's Day.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #63742
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Question

Does anyone know if I copy and paste a pic from Procycle (for instance), am I gonna get bitch slapped and sent to Band Camp?

Two examples:
1. Procycle photo with his site name and 'copy righted' ghost visible.
2. Copying a fische photo on Bike Bandit and posting it to help answer someone's question; like: "See #7 in photo." There are two ways I could do this. First, copy and paste, there are no identifying marks on the photo. Second, I could add text saying "Photo courtesy of Bike Bandit."

Seems Baldy and the legal system gets pretty pissy about copyright violations. This is not a complaint, just the reason for this post.
Thanks Baldy and those who help pilot this site, for all you do.

Quote:
Old 05-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #63743
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanas View Post
Hi Follow DR riders.

Today i got around to removing the upper chain roller. It had lots of wear and although i am not a high jumper (with a motorcycle) i'm kind off heavy and who knows.

I took the old bolt out with the roller.

Found another sime thread size bolt and cut the hex head off. then made a groove in the top part so i could thread the bolt back in with a flat screwdriver. With some silicone and it's gone.

Greets,
Thanas
Greets Thanas.

It's funny how the mind works. When I decided to remove my upper roller, I made a big deal out of finding the proper size stainless allen head setscrew. This was about the same time I added a grease zerk to my rear brake lever. A set screw never entered my mind for that, just find a bolt, cut it off, cut a slot, loctite and install.

Like this:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=22

You said 'find another same size thread, cut head off". It just occurred to me (reason for this post) that you could use the same bolt you just took out. You know it fits.

Quote:
Old 05-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #63744
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Does anyone know if I copy and paste a pic from Procycle (for instance), am I gonna get bitch slapped and sent to Band Camp?

Two examples:
1. Procycle photo with his site name and 'copy righted' ghost visible.
2. Copying a fische photo on Bike Bandit and posting it to help answer someone's question; like: "See #7 in photo." There are two ways I could do this. First, copy and paste, there are no identifying marks on the photo. Second, I could add text saying "Photo courtesy of Bike Bandit."

Seems Baldy and the legal system gets pretty pissy about copyright violations. This is not a complaint, just the reason for this post.
Thanks Baldy and those who help pilot this site, for all you do.
You have my permission to borrow ProCycle images to post here and on other motorcycle forums. I prefer there is at least some note saying where the image came from - ideally a hyperlink to go with it. What I don't want to ever see is other vendors using our photos to sell their products.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #63745
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Irish75 View Post
Thanks for the enlightenment. I wish I had known this for the past 18 years of goobering up fastener heads on my import bikes. Just ordered up a set of screwdrivers and drill bit drivers, thanks.
If you file the point off the tip of a #1 phillips head screwdriver to blunt it slightly, it will go deeper into the screw slots. I have never had any trouble removing any screws from any carburetors.

Tech23.

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #63746
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
What the DR needs is a real front brake. A full brembo system? Bigger rotor? Nothing but money.

$239.95
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#brakes

Hyperlink lesson: how do I get the link to point at a specific Procycle page, I've seen it done? Right clicking on the yellow bar above the page doesn't work, it points to the main page. But if ya move the cursor over the lettering on the left (Brakes) and right click, click on properties at the bottom of the drop down menu, copy and paste 'Address (URL)'; bingo, Brake Page. When I learn something, somebody else has to read about it.

Quote:

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 01:15 PM
Old 05-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #63747
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Would you stop doing that please?! I only have so much money and you go and post something like this, and now I start thinking, "Hey! I could do that too while I'm getting HID lights!"
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #63748
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
You have my permission to borrow ProCycle images to post here and on other motorcycle forums. I prefer there is at least some note saying where the image came from - ideally a hyperlink to go with it. What I don't want to ever see is other vendors using our photos to sell their products.
I may have missed the write up about the HID light kit but if you haven't shared your experience with it already can you tell me a little about the installation of the Electrosport HID light kit, if you don't mind.

I ask becuase I'd like to retain the OEM stator and install the Electrosport HID light kit, and replace all the Turn Signals with LED equivalents and replace the Tail/Brake Light with an LED setup to free up some extra wattage to power a Montana and a heated vest(?)

Were the instructions clear enough for a Novice electrical DIY'er to follow? Were there a lot of splices, soldering, and heatshrinking involved?

Just wondering because I wouldn't mind getting these and installing them while my spare shock and forks are at Cogent getting their guts replaced.

Oh...and I'd probably be getting the rotor too (bastard ER70S )
Old 05-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #63749
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notarat View Post
Would you stop doing that please?! I only have so much money and you go and post something like this, and now I start thinking, "Hey! I could do that too while I'm getting HID lights!"
I'm due for brakes (pads are right here on the desk) and, at 30k miles, new rotors would be nice too. Or, do I just buy that delicious front wave rotor.
If I have to be in turmoil, I'm sharing the load.

Quote:
Old 05-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #63750
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm due for brakes (pads are right here on the desk) and, at 30k miles, new rotors would be nice too. Or, do I just buy that delicious front wave rotor.
If I have to be in turmoil, I'm sharing the load.
Oh...I see...You're pulling out the ole, "Sharing is 'Caring'" defense, huh?

Well...I got nothing to come back with. Oh well.