Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #31
AVODude
"Fu Manchu"

Oddometer: 138
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post

But then motorcycles as a whole don't make sense.
2009 GSA "Fu Manchu" (my third GSA)
Builders of the first BMW motorcycle for the SEMA show
AVODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #32
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,555
Budget

You didn't mention what you budget actually is or how firm the number is. I can only speak from my own experience. I started riding in 2006 buy buying a cheap fixer upper on craigslist. 6 months later I bought a new DL650 with the same intentions you are expressing. Since buying the Strom I've acquired 2 additional smaller and lighter bikes. I've come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a bike that is too light for most riding under 75MPH.

Here's that major lessons I have learned since I started riding.

BUDGET: What ever you think you are going to spend the reality is by the tie you are all farkled and geared up it will be almost double what you first thought.

GEAR: Buying really good gear straight off might be cheaper in the long run. If you can find quality used gear is good shape that fits buy it.

BIKE: Big ADV bikes are bad ass and great to ride ON ROADS. If your travels will take you anywhere more adventurous than a stock Subaru or Suburban is capable of get a smaller lighter bike. After a couple summers of ADV riding I was wanting to get into more and more off-road riding. I took a real honest look at what I was riding (DL650) and came to the conclusion that it's a big heavy pig not meant for much off pavement/fire road riding. I'm much happier on my DR350 for dual sport rides than I ever was on the DL. I'll happily ride slower on pavement between dirt that struggle with a big pig between pavement.

SKILLS: There is no shortcut to acquire riding skills. You mentioned you have a dirtbike that doesn't get ridden much. Can you plate that bike? Since you are on a budget spend 3-6 month on the bike you already have and figure out what you really want from a bike and you will have the sharper skill to ride what ever you decide to buy. It's easy to think you will be riding grand adventures, but reality has it different plans of all of us. I still haven't made it to Alaska or South America and it's looking like I may not for another 20 years at this point.

COST: Not including purchase costs bike are more expensive to operate per mile than a car. I do my own maintenance on all of my vehicles and it costs be more per year to keep my bikes on the road than automobiles. Yes gas costs less but tires, chains, brakes, insurance and all the other wear items don't last near as long and cost much more than their automotive counterpart.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 11:29 AM
brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #33
daehimeh OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Unfortunately in order to plate my dirt bike it would cost me more than buying a new bike. Even after i did all the modifications, California is really tough to get a non-plated bike plated. Not long after I bought it in 2007 I looked into the process and quickly decided it would cost too much and be far too difficult. I regretted buying a dirt bike over a dual sport almost immediately. Lesson learned. I rushed into the purchase of the dirt bike, and the regret is why I am taking so long to make this decision.

As far as offroad use, our plans are indeed more than what we end up doing. While I want the ability to go off pavement, it will only rarely be used, the road to where I work is a dirt road, and most of the off pavement use would be there. Primarily the bike will be used for on-road travel, with the ability to leave pavement, but with the understanding that anything more severe than a hard-packed dirt road will be far more difficult than it would be on a smaller, lighter bike. My thinking is, I would rather be comfortable for the 3000 miles of pavement than the 1/2 mile of dirt at the end of it. That being said, I know that with experience and training, the BMW is plenty capable in the dirt to make it anywhere I would venture.
daehimeh is offline   Reply With Quote