Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #31
Zedwardson OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Well the first step is to find a helmet that fits my head.

A buddy was willing to give me one of his helmets, but a HJC XXL was too small for my head.

The world would be full of suck if I cannot get a helmet to fit my head.
Zedwardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #32
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedwardson View Post
Well the first step is to find a helmet that fits my head.

A buddy was willing to give me one of his helmets, but a HJC XXL was too small for my head.

The world would be full of suck if I cannot get a helmet to fit my head.
In some states, DOT is more important than SNELL. It might be a legal requirement. Full-face is a good way to go, and not just for crash protection. Bugs, gravel, rain, hail, birds, and other things bouncing off your face can be a bit distracting while trying to operate a moto.

If you're having trouble fitting a helmet, you could always call someplace that specializes in helmets and give them your head measurements. They could probably suggest sizes to try from that. All of my helmets have been DOT full-face models, BTW, and I don't think I've ever spent more than $150 for a helmet. My latest one was found on sale at Motorcycle Superstore for $70. It's quite comfortable and light, if just a bit loud.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #33
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,325
The best advice you can get is to get some dirt riding under your belt before riding on the street much.
It teaches you a LOT of skills that will keep you safe on the road:
Automatic reactions,
To NOT over ride your sight lines,
To watch where you are going, study the surface of what you are riding on,
Just how much you can use each brake, and what happens when you get it wrong,
How to be out of control and save it,
The feeling of loss of traction in the back.

A 250cc dual sport is great, its cheap used, can be sold for little or no loss, does not break when dropped.

After a lot of bikes over many years, I now have a tw200 which is great in the sand/mud and not so great on the street, and I have a TU250 which is great on the street and not so great off road.
The TU250 will do 80 mph or more, its comfortable, nimble, needs very little looking after, gets 80 mpg, and is a real hoot to ride in any situation.
I have done 12 hour rides on it, and at 6 feet tall its comfortable for me.
The wife enjoys riding on the back (and she is not little) and the bike handles it fine.
Its as easy to own as a bike can be, as easy to ride as a bike can be, and for me, its about as much fun as you can have on a motorcycle.
They do not seem to wear out, or have problems, and a good used low mile TU is about $3000.00.

Both the TU and the TW need a sprocket change to be nice on the street, both are geared very low, the TW i can understand but the TU I do not, its geared stupid low, maybe for the MSF training.
$16.00 for a 16 tooth front sprocket makes it much nicer.

Unless I was interested in mud holes, thick endless sand, or big hills, I would not pick the tw200, any other 250 dual sport might be more balanced between street and dirt.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #34
ShadySmurf
Does Own Stunts

Oddometer: 540
Hey man,

I haven't seen anyone talk about DRZ's. Take a look and see if there are any DRZ400SM's in your area. I think that is a perfect 80/20 bike. Sit's upright, turns awesome, can hit pavement and not slowdown for the dirt transition.

Everything else has been mentioned, do your MSF, get your gear, then get your bike. Take it out to some dirt, or a field, somewhere with no people. Practice what you learned in the MSF course. Once you get comfortable, look for some people to ride with. I wouldn't wait a whole year before finding someone to ride with. Other people may be able to teach you different things, and build some great friendships.

Side note- you are on a dual sport forum here, no one is really going to recommend a different kind of bike That said, they are the greatest bikes made
ShadySmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #35
cantspell
Lost in a good way

Oddometer: 58
1st keep it fun

Im glad your starting with the gear. to me the most important thing about gear is to get stuff you will use. I know riders with top to the line helmits that thay dont ware. If I knew I wasn going to crash any given day I would stay home.

just to add one more to the list I like the KLR. light cheep reliable good resale if you by used good for around town or around the world.

It seems to me that new riders ofen drop bikes in parking lots drive ways and such so Im a big fan of crash bars on what ever you get. then if the bike takes a nap you just pick it up dust off your ego and go.
cantspell is offline   Reply With Quote