Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #16
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
I think the Pirellis are multi compound tires, ie: the center has a harder compound that the sides. Combine this with corners and crowned roads. and...
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #17
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
Same here:

The asymmetric wear is a mystery, but you can see how the center has a ridge. Not sure how many miles because I bought the bike used.
That looks similar to mine Ski, but without the cupping. What pressure do you run up front, and did you ever let it get low? It almost looks like it wasn't balanced correctly.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #18
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Not sure how balance would effect tire wear . I stopped balancing my tires several years ago when I learned racers don't bother, and they're hitting corners at triple digit speeds. I've gone through half a dozen sets of tires since then, and never once have I had an out-of-balance one. Sorry, neither here nor there.

My front Scorpion trail flat spotted in the center, but that's due to the many straight miles on highways and such. Overall though I LOVED those tires. If I could stick to mostly pavement I would use those tires forever. My first set, mostly easy commuter and solo touring, lasted about 12,000 miles. Second set was almost entirely hard 2-up touring, and fully loaded hardcore solo touring, it was toast at about 7500 miles. Third set has about 7000 miles on them (still loaded hardcore solo touring miles), and they're closing in on their demise. Probably 1000 miles left, maybe a bit more.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
That looks similar to mine Ski, but without the cupping. What pressure do you run up front, and did you ever let it get low? It almost looks like it wasn't balanced correctly.....

-SM
I generally run at 34PSI. I have a whole "WTF?" thread on badweb, the Uly board. I replaced my own fork seal last year, and without going into detail, the right fork was about 1/4" lower than the left. I theorized that caused the asymmetric wear, but you know how the internet is, I got more opinions on the cause than beer has bubbles. Some said it was road crown, but I don't buy it. My other bikes ride on the same road and show no such wear.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #20
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
I run 40psi in my front scorp trail, it is pretty much worn out now but is wearing normal. Currently has almost 8k on it. The rear went 6k, the most I've gotten on either Buell. PR2 is on there now, hoping for more miles.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Not sure how balance would effect tire wear . I stopped balancing my tires several years ago when I learned racers don't bother, and they're hitting corners at triple digit speeds. I've gone through half a dozen sets of tires since then, and never once have I had an out-of-balance one. Sorry, neither here nor there.
Balance and tire pressure both effect wear. Balance will make it wear unevenly and pressure can make it wear prematurely (too much and the center wears down too fast, too little and the whole tire wears faster due to heat buildup). And racers don't bother because 1 race and their tires are toast anyway. They don't try to get 5-6k miles out of them. They just want to get them to finish the race!

-SM
Old 05-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #22
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
. I stopped balancing my tires several years ago when I learned racers don't bother, and they're hitting corners at triple digit speeds. I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
And racers don't bother because 1 race and their tires are toast anyway. They don't try to get 5-6k miles out of them.
Not sure where you guys are getting this from, but every tire I saw mounted at the track was balanced, including factory teams to privateers. I would usually double check the balance on mine myself, a little wheel hop due to out of balance at highway speeds gets really nasty at triple digit speeds. Granted I haven't raced in a few years but I doubt it's changed that much. Teams that blueprint a frame aren't going to take a chance on a tire being out of balance.

If you want to try it yourself, stick a few wieghts on a rim and purposely put it out of balance and them ride those high speeds, you'll see.

But keeping with this thread, I'm thinking of a set of trail attacks myself, so keep the impressions coming!

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #23
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
But keeping with this thread, I'm thinking of a set of trail attacks myself, so keep the impressions coming!
I can't use the TAs until the front (120s) shows up, but based on my RA2 experience, I'll certainly go with them next vs. going back to the Scorps. Turn in is quicker, grip is better, and as far as off-road goes, strictly speaking I never plan to take my bike off-road, just on dirt/gravel (i.e. unsealed) roads, and nowhere near mud or sand (at least not until the TKC80s show up in big-boy sizes ).

-SM
Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #24
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,445
I had 3,100 miles on a set of Scorpion Trails on my Multistrada 1200, and was pushing the wear bars. Four weeks back I wasn't planning on taking the Multi on a trip to the west Texas hill country, so I hadn't gotten around to new rubber, but my broken foot just couldn't handle the HP2 Sport I had just rubbered up for the trip. By the time was just outside of Houston (around 700 miles later) I was right through the wear bars and could faintly see belts. I noticed a nail in my rear tire about an hour from home, but it was holding air, so I took it easy and stopped by a BMW dealer west of Houston. My choices were limited, but they strongly recommended Dunlop Sportmax Q2's, which I went with. My only experience with the Dunlops were riding from the BMW dealer to drop the Multi off at the Ducati dealer for an oil change and rear brake master cylinder update, so I can't really comment on them yet. I haven't picked up the Multi yet, and the foot is going to keep me off the bike for another 2-3 weeks, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the Dunlops work.

I would have expected more life out of the Scorpions, which were gone by 3,500 miles. My front didn't have quite the same scalloping as the earlier pics, and my rear was reasonably evenly worn, maybe a bit flat in the center. The Multi is a torque monster though, and the TC makes it easy to hammer the throttle on the exits, which is pretty hard on tires.

The Sportmax's aren't multi-compound, but rather use the internal belt design to accomplish a similar result. The Metzeler Sportec M5's I just put on my HP2 Sport do the same thing, so I'm wondering if there's going to be a trend away from multi-compound designs and and move towards multiple belt tension technology.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #25
jbar28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRider01 View Post
on my vstrom 650, i have used anakee2, Trailwing, Scorpion trails, and Conti Trail Attack - >95% tarmac riding - i can comment on the followings:

1) LIFE: my 1st set of Trail Attack lasted over 15,000km; Scorpion wasnt pushing to get to 11,000km - as a comparison basis- all other tyres last between 10-12k with my riding styles - so i get 30% to 50% more life than other tyres i tried.
Glad I finally read someone say they get more than 5-6k miles from a tire. I also have a V-Strom 650 and my Conti TA's have 12,000 miles on them and are just now due for replacement. In fact the front is probably good for 4k more but I'm heading out on a 6k mile road trip, so going to replace it now. The only thing I don't like about them is that I can't get them now, only the TA2. Not sure what the 2 has, but I really liked the TA the way it was...

This is the rear at about 7k miles
jbar28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #26
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
I also have an MTS and I wore through the Pirellis in just under 4000 miles. Yes, the bike is significantly powerful and I suppose capable of wearing through tires at a goodly rate, but I was disappointed in the return from them as I don't think I ride all that hard. Mine wore evenly but the fronts were a bit cupped. Although Ski's photo shows an extreme case of uneven wear, some blame can and probably should also be laid at the "foot" of road camber. This can cause tires to wear unevenly whatever pressures you run.

Aside: I would be reluctant to willingly run a tire that was worn as significantly (and uevenly) as the one in Skifast's photo. As a practical matter, that tire was done in quite some time before that photo was taken. I would not claim it got whatever miles were on the clock as how long it was serviceable because it was toasted before the image was captured.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #27
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,127
I ran Scorpion Trails on my Uly, but the 190 because the 180s weren't available when I switched to them. I only got a flat spotted front when the wife and I rode to Sturgis super slab most of the way. The first set went nice a even should to shoulder. Ofcourse that set had Deal's Gap, where I cooked the rear enough to see the border between the tread compounds, and northern Arkansas. If I end up stationed back in Europe I will put a set on my 955i Tiger.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #28
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Oddometer: 626
My second set of Trail Attack- over 15,000km now and plenty to go-i am guessing at least 18,000km - this is from a guy who usually only get 10-12k kms out of his vstrom. It's the best traction tyre on dry tarmac i have sampled on my vstrom.

on unpaved road, Trail Attack give nowhere as much confidence i have with Scorpion Trail - ST has got the be the best 90/10 tyres for unpaved roads.
AceRider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #29
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,891
I have scorpions on the T800 now... and had a set of trail attacks on my 05 F65GS. There's a post somewhere on here where I reported on why I love the continentals... in short, two weeks after install I got caught in a snow/slush storm and had to ride home forty five miles... they gripped the road like it was dry.

The scorpions have seemed good on the Tiger... who knows. Maybe I'm just mystified by the Continental test track.

I did find it interesting to note that my Scorpions (at least one) was made in Germany.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #30
FiveG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Scorpions on a Multi

Anyone experience front end squirmy-ness with the Scorpions? I was riding my MTS OEM Scorpions (tires properly inflated, about 1600 miles on tires, temp around 75 degrees) on secondaries in Western Mass, where the State Animal is the Tar Snake. As I was heading down Route 8 (where it's fun and pretty), I found leaned over in curves I was getting more front end squirming than I was used to. I wondered if it was the Multi, but when I made sure to stay off the tar snakes, squirming stopped. Didn't squirm when straight up, either.

I've ridden that road scores of times on other tires/bikes, and hadn't really experienced that degree of squiriming before. Temps were not excessively high on this ride, either.

So, are the Scorps less conducive to handling tar snakes than some other options?

"Steve Martin," Godzilla (1985)
FiveG is offline   Reply With Quote