Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Admirals Voyages

So many here post their day trips in the same thread (mostly in SW Idaho), so I'll copy the idea for some of my own day trips instead of posting seperate threads. Not that anybody cares!

Anyway, I'll post some catchup material I started in February.

Railroad Depot's and other stuff. There will be lots of other "stuff", just so you know!

Last Wednesday (02/22/2012), I had a hard decision to make, take a ride on a very, very windy and warm day, or not . . . So I did!

Due to some muddy off road conditions, and the fact my dementia hasn't kicked in (i.e. I can still remember my crash in the sand wash from a week ago), I decided this was gonna be one of my very rare pavement only rides.

Well, as the title states, I decided to ride to some old railroad depot's here in the "crazyhood", and capture some "other stuff" when the opprotunity arose.

Note: I'm not a railroad buff my any means, nor a history professor, so most of the historical stuff is what I found after quick www searching of a particular place and may not be 100% accurate.

ATTACK WEEDS . . . not long after I began my ride, I came up over a rise in the road and had to quickly dodge this stuff. Only after successfully avoiding this suff and stopping, did I realize they were weeds trying to cross the road, with the help of the wind.

What's for Dinner Ma . . . We all have strange street signs . . . 'round here's no exception.

Abandoned Farm . . . Just imagine what once was (between Notus and Greenleaf, ID)

Huston, we have a problem . . . Old Huston, Id school. School District #30.

Tried to find a photo of the school when it was in use with no luck. Did find this photo when it had tree's out front. There are no signs tree's ever exsisted nowdays. But the roof is already gone.

First Stop . . . Caldwell, ID RR Depot.

I believe the city perserved it and rents it out for weddings and chicken dinners!

Here's what it use to look like back in the day. Photo is from the opposite side from my photo's.

Still in Caldwell, Id.

The Hat . . . Currently a bus stop, which once was a trolley stop for the Boise Valley Interurban Loop in the front of the College of Idaho in Caldwell, ID. I'd been by this bus stop hundreds of times without realizing there was a history behind the stop. Local newspaper article brought it to my attention several years ago when the stop was restored. At some point this stop was nicknamed "The Hat" because similarity to a hat, I guess.

What it looked like back in the early 1900's. Boise Valley Interurban was a electric street car system in the Boise Valley, now called Treasure Valley. The interurban was shutdown in 1928.

You can't park here . . . said the nice gentleman as I parked in front of the Nampa, ID RR Depot. "I'll be just a miniute" as he leaves me alone seeing I was just taking a picture and wasn't planning on setting up a road block!

Yesteryear . . . I love the architecture of these old railroad depot's. I'm glad some communities were able to save them from the wrecking ball. This one is now a musuem.

All aboard . . . next stop, Star, Id.

Coffee anyone? . . . this old passenger and freight building served Star, ID on the Boise Valley Interurban trolley loop, and has been converted into a Moxie Java coffee house.

You can see the owners have kept the buildings roots tied to the rail system. Also if you look closely, you can still see the freight door roller wheels above the door.

While doing some quick research, an old article mentioned the building had been moved to the east end of Star. It is now located on the west end of town, so I'm guessing it's been moved at least twice.

Old photo's of the Star Boise Valley Interurban stop

Surprised and confused in Middleton . . . started to rain while I was in Star, so I decided to head home. On my way home I rode through the town of Middleton, ID and something caught my eye. Like Caldwell, I've been through Middleton hundreds of times and never noticed this building before. So I was surprised to find a train related building, so I turned around to investigate. It is very near an old abandoned rail line to the left (out of sight) so it makes some sense. However, the abondoned rail line generally goes north and south, thus does not appear that it was related to the Boise Valley Interurban Loop, which rails ran east and west on the other side of this building.

But now some confusion sets in. While doing some research, I discovered that the building to the right in this photo is noted as the first Trolley Substation on the Interurban. So it looks like the brick building on the right is related to the Interurban, but I've not found anything mentioned of what is now the Civic Center. However, the civic center building looks train related, so I better buy the book on the Interurban so I'll know for sure.

Well, this ends the first installment of my RR Depot's and other Suff Ride. I'll be doing some similar rides in the future, so stayed tuned as I will add these upcoming rides to this thread.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178

TheAdmiral screwed with this post 08-03-2012 at 08:23 AM
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote