User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #13066
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
No Nate,

it can go worse. I once filled the transmission oil (Suzi GT750) whilst nattering away to the client/owner, with the oil coming via hosepipe from an overhead tank. We were telling each other jokes and laughing..... until I noticed a huuuuuuuge oil-puddle on the table the bike was on, most was running off the other side. Yeah, idiot-me, I forgot to put the plug back in.
So, so much for a professional impression
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #13067
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Kav,

if you've got the VIN - or any number in fact - then post them here, in LARGE font.
Lotsa bikes are stolen here, and this is (here) common practice. And, any fan of these bikes is likely to have found this thread already, there's always a chance that 1 + 1 turns out into Bingo!!
I hope you'll get your bike back.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #13068
aiMhi
Now with Titanium

Oddometer: 688
Here's my dumbass oil change story;

I was 14yrs old and very proud - doing an oil change on my mom's Jetta.

Drained oil >> uncap all the quarts of oil >> line the quarts up >> put a rag around the filler neck >> start pouring with bottle "upside down" so it does not chug >> all is going well, almost at the last quart >> stopped when the oil puddle touched my toes >> OMG

aiMhi screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 09:26 AM
aiMhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #13069
XRx
Broken Filter

Oddometer: 505
I have a good oil change story.

I was showing my friend how to change his oil, he had never done it before. He had a nice 2000 Trans Am. So we have it up on ramps, and drain the oil. Puts the plug back in. I don't remember exactly how it happened, I wasn't looking or something, but he wanted to lower the car again to make it easier to get at the fill spout or something, so he started it up and drove it off the ramps with no oil in it No noticable damage, but damn that couldn't have helped anything.

When I was looking to buy a similar car after that, I remember him getting pissed, when he was like you should by mine, I was like no way man I know you ran that thing with zero oil in it ha! No way man it didn't hurt anything! No thanks
Old 05-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #13070
bigtrailie
Rough idle

Oddometer: 687
# of turns out for the fuel mixture screw???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Spring goes on the fuel mixture screw first, then the washer, then the o-ring. Spring seats against the waster and washer seats against the oring, o-ring seats against the carb body.
I'm at 2 turns out and can't get the bike to start. Should I be using more or fewer turns out?

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #13071
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnate View Post
I do use the plastic bottle or an aluminum can trick. I still have to pull my skid plate. It obscures the drain. I usually don't have oil draining from the filter. That is if I drain the frame first. I will try the plastic bag trick next time.

All I can say is I'm ready to ride. I still need to have my shock rebuilt. But I'm still riding it. I took it for for a quick rip around the the house (its been over a month since I rode the XR). I forgot how much fun it is. Grabbed a handfull of gas on the gravel driveway and left a 30 foot trench and a power slide around the corner. Wife yelled at me as I was giggling. Something about growing up and being a 15 year old trapped in the body of a 45 year old...
That's strange, I ALWAYS get oil out the cover when I start taking out the screws. Quite a bit actually, maybe 100ml's, (~ couple ounces?)

Staying young inside is what counts. I've always been pretty old for my age, but deep down I'm still a kid. Too much seriousness in life to not have fun and enjoy it.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #13072
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
How do you check oil pressure without a gauge. On my old Yamaha you just open the cap while it was on and could feel pressure. (I am aware that it's a high volume low pressure system or w/e)

How do you know when you're oil pump goes out? Kaboom? Or can you tell it's worn when cleaning the oil filter?

Not suspecting mine is or anything, just wondering
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:21 AM   #13073
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 6,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie View Post
I'm at 2 turns out and can't get the bike to start. Should I be using more or fewer turns out?
Fuel mix screw shouldn't keep it from starting. Two turns is close enough for starting. Sounds like there's something else going on.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:25 AM   #13074
mazman808
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Can anyone recommend a decent clutch kit (plates/friction and springs) for the xrr?
I see there are kits from EBC (dirt racer), Barnett ( dirt digger), Wiseco, Tusk...
I know i can go genuine honda, but if theres something better id rather that.

I do mx, dual sport and motard style riding, and this past weekend riding my motard setup on a track day i had the clutch slipping when at full throttle only, feeding it in slowly eliminated the slip but it was slow doing it that way.

After my first session out, i had a look at my adjustment and still had freeplay in it so it couldnt of been the adjustment, but when i went back out on my second session(and every session after that) the clutch didnt slip anymore, so what gives?

I dont want to do the honda mod that im reading around, where you install extra plate etc.

So anyone out there with a aftermarket clutch on theyre xr650r that are happy?
mazman808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #13075
atreiou
XR 650R Rider

Oddometer: 61
I'm happy with the Barnett (sumo XR 650R)
atreiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #13076
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 15,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman808 View Post
I do mx, dual sport and motard style riding, and this past weekend riding my motard setup on a track day i had the clutch slipping when at full throttle only, feeding it in slowly eliminated the slip but it was slow doing it that way.

After my first session out, i had a look at my adjustment and still had freeplay in it so it couldnt of been the adjustment, but when i went back out on my second session(and every session after that) the clutch didnt slip anymore, so what gives?

If the fingers on the basket get worn bad enough the clutch won't be consistant. I've never worn out a friction pack on a thumper, it's always been a basket problem for me.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #13077
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Where do you guys recommend mounting the vapor/vector coolant temp sensor?

Also, I lost the hose clamps for it (got the spedo a year ago), will walmart bought ones work?
Old 05-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #13078
XRx
Broken Filter

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post
Also, I lost the hose clamps for it (got the spedo a year ago), will walmart bought ones work?
Maybe not, I think walmart doesn't sell metric hose clamps...
Old 05-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #13079
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Well by that I meant any store-bought ones really. If it's on the top of your head. what size do I need.

I wish I could find them.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #13080
mazman808
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I pulled my clutch apart to have a look.
Everything seems fine except for the very last steel plate thats just before the thinner fiber plate and those judder springs.
It has a groove in it all the way along the plate.
Ive read some threads where they mention they also have grooves in theyre plate but nothing about if this is normal, so can anyone tell me if this is just normal wear and tear?
Also, reading others threads, they mention theyre plates are alloy( and they upgrade to the aftermarket steel ones), well mine are steel and i bought my bike when it was almost new so i doubt anyone has changed a clutch kit when new, only thing i can think of is that the Australian model came with steel clutch plates or they upgraded along the way(mines 04 model).

Here is a picture of what im talking about, should i replace or not worry about it?

mazman808 is offline   Reply With Quote