Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #31
Starkman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84

More about the clutch cover please, Looks really nice. Are you selling them?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #32
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Oddometer: 683
XR650R Carbon Fiber Case Cover

Hi Starkman - I just started making these Carbon Fiber Clutch Case Covers for the XR650R and crash tested it this weekend in Moab riding the Kokopelli - works just fine - not that fine on my body however.

I dont have it on my website yet, so make these on a per request basis for $50 - 10% discount+ shipping. PM me for details. Looks like you are just north or Denver so if you work close to I-25 & I-225 I can just hand-deliver it or I can send it USPS for el cheapo.

Later,
Bern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkman View Post

More about the clutch cover please, Looks really nice. Are you selling them?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #33
canadius_maximus
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Oddometer: 506
Hey Bern,

How are you feeling? I took a bit of a get-off this weekend - sore as well ... :)

Hope all is well - look forward to hearing about the headlight developments.

cheers,

CM

KTM 690 R Rally Raid Evo 1 (and 2) Kit Build for Dummies
canadius_maximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #34
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadius_maximus View Post
Hey Bern,

How are you feeling? I took a bit of a get-off this weekend - sore as well ... :)

Hope all is well - look forward to hearing about the headlight developments.

cheers,

CM
I survived our enduro ride from Grand Junction to Moab (140ml) and beat the shcrap out of ourselves and our bikes. It was a fun experience but took me three hours longer (12 total) than last year since we took a detour to Top of the World and ended up riding/carrying other people's bikes up some of the hills. Loads of fun and great camaraderie.

The fairing worked great on the trail and the open dirt roads that we hammered down. I also wiped out a couple times on the rocks and the fairing is just fine since it is not exposed (unless you loop the bike). For my purposes I am going to trim about 1 1/2 inch from the top.

I received the (5) LED lights in, however they are not satisfactory for what I am looking for. It has a built in fan and is vented so it needs a housing or sorts to keep water out. I can send you a pic of one it might work for some but not for my extreme purposes.

For lights I will be converting to the Rigid Dually lights that I now carry http://www.aimhi-enduro.com/LED-High...-Lighting.html which are vented but have a Gore Tex membrane for water protection. The cost/size is also perfect including the sturdy mounting points.

Just catching up but should have the Rigid's mounted up in a week or so.

Note the inmate with the Fox Racing Knickerbocker Jeans

On the way to Moab - close to Dewey Bridge

Top of the World Baby

aiMhi screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 02:08 PM
aiMhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #35
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Ready to ride a 280mile overnight this weekend.

Final setup with dual Rigid Lights and Lexan Lens. I trimmed down the fairing 1.5 inches, I might go another 1 inch.

I also found that I really just need one Flood version of the Rigid light but that will be next. Additionally the light mounts to aluminium bracket that attaches to the inside of the fairing using fiberglass flange bolts that hold tight.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #36
canadius_maximus
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Oddometer: 506
Looks great Bern - how was your ride?

What's your final word on the lights? One or two? It's looking really sweet.

CM

KTM 690 R Rally Raid Evo 1 (and 2) Kit Build for Dummies
canadius_maximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #37
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadius_maximus View Post
Looks great Bern - how was your ride?

What's your final word on the lights? One or two? It's looking really sweet.

CM
Ride was awesome - pic's on page 3 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783171

I was running two spots which is a bit too focused but worked great. The spots are perfect for aux lights and I think two is overkill - my next step is one Rigid flood light. This means I need to mod my mule fairing and do some work!

I also have a sweet attachment method for the lights to the fairing using a simple bracket that bolts on the inside to (2) flange bolts embedded into the fiberglass so little or no vibration from the fairing bracket.

Here is a pic of the headlights - take note I trimmed about 1 1/2 inches off the top.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #38
Short Dark Handsome
dr650

Oddometer: 36
Dr650

Hey bern. Sorry i havent gotten back to you about my bike. Your fairing is brilliant and one of a kind. Still havent gotten to painting it yet but I am gunna. Havent noticed any problems at all. Solid as a rock.

Short Dark Handsome screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 10:43 PM Reason: Pictures
Short Dark Handsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #39
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Thanks for posting up. I like what you did and customized it to your liking. The white actually works with your plastics in the back.

How does it handle at speed, does it make life a little better?
How did you attach it to your bike, looks like you are using your OEM headlight connection points?

Thanks,
Bern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Dark Handsome View Post
Hey bern. Sorry i havent gotten back to you about my bike. Your fairing is brilliant and one of a kind. Still havent gotten to painting it yet but I am gunna. Havent noticed any problems at all. Solid as a rock.

aiMhi screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 08:42 AM
aiMhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #40
Short Dark Handsome
dr650

Attachments

Yes I used all 3 OEM connection point. It gives me excellent wind protection and is stable at high speeds. No regrets at all!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #41
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

If it is not too much of a hassle you should take a pic when you take the fairing off to show your connection points. There are some other DR650 users that are interested in what you did.

Thank you Max!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #42
Short Dark Handsome
dr650

Will do

No problem. I will also post a pic when I get to painting it.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #43
Short Dark Handsome
dr650

Attachment for all you dr650 riders!

I did not take the actual fairing off out of laziness (sorry). But these are the attachment points I used for the dr650.

If you have the stock dr650 shroud on your bike like I did, you can see that it is connected at 3 points. One screw on the bottom and two bolts on the sides.
I used all 3 of these mounting points by drilling a hole through the bottom of the fairing into the bottom attachment, then attaching the fairing to the side mounting points by using a Alluminum rod/stick thing that I got at a harware store and used a vice to bend it to the proper angles for it to fit.

To me the most difficult part to this fabrication was the bending of the metal to get the right angles to work. Keep in mind that I did cut the fairing at the bottom to my liking so this happened to work (OEM headlight was the reason I cut the bottom of the fairing so I could use the stock headlight attachment points and place the headlight on the "flat spot" of the fairing)
Feel free to ask more questions!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #44
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,199
I'm getting one for my XRR as soon as I can scrape the money together!
Old 05-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #45
NorCal Dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
hey Bern,

may i say, you're bike's looking awesome

that rack kinda looks a bit,, err,, large, when nothing's strapped to it, but i checked out you're photos in you're ride report & with all you're gear strapped on, it makes perfect sense, looks to be a very solid platform with the lower mounting points to help support the load. ATTA BOY ( you need to post a photo here with it loaded up )

it's been a couple of months since my fairing arrived, ( as you know ) & had planned on it being on by now,, but life gets in the way of our plans sometimes

anyways, i started on the rear of the bike this weekend, & will work towards the front by next weekend, will post up some photos as i go

D.
NorCal Dog is offline   Reply With Quote