Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #16
jwnsc OP
Hang in there.

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
It's pretty hot in SC with lots of sunshine, silver bags will help keep your contents much cooler than black.

I say go with #6.
I may do that but color-enhanced heat is not really a factor. Any riding I do in S.C. with the boxes mounted is very brief as I leave the state at 70+ mph for the Appalachians, Rockies, Sierra Nevada, Brooks Range....

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-
mindedness." Mark Twain
jwnsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #17
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
although i think black would look good what about having them painted red to match the bike? have you contacted Jesse to see about an exchange? not sure if they do that but can't hurt to call and ask. i have black Jesse's on my 2011 twin and like the way they look. another option might be to pick up a pair of black jesse (boxes only) from his "scratch & dent" selection and sell your silver boxes. i think if it were me and i was dead sure i wanted black that is the route i would go.

Hey Trashman,
That's a nice setup! Is this the F650? Those well-integrated fairing pieces are good looking. How well do they work? Who makes them? The roundel on the Jesses is pretty slick also.

Sorry for the interruption, and brief drooling.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #18
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,679
I'd try the PlastiDip spray. I've watched a lot of videos on it and bought a can but haven't got around to it yet. Love the fact you can peel it off later and go back to nice clean silver boxes for resale purposes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdARn...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIx6...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaAqq...eature=related

And for removal when the time comes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5H69eMjUXk
Old 05-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #19
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
The line X is a great option, however, I agree that if you ride much in hot climates the silver will keep all your stuff a lot cooler.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #20
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Hey Trashman,
That's a nice setup! Is this the F650? Those well-integrated fairing pieces are good looking. How well do they work? Who makes them? The roundel on the Jesses is pretty slick also.

Sorry for the interruption, and brief drooling.
the bike is a 2011 F650GS and the fairing pieces are the Aeroflow duct deflectors and leg guards. i bought some paint from color rite had a local body shop paint them. they work very well at keep the cold & rain off you. i have to take them off in the summer as it is just too hot with them on. i jokeingly refer to my little 650 as a mini RT.
nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #21
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
the bike is a 2011 F650GS and the fairing pieces are the Aeroflow duct deflectors and leg guards. i bought some paint from color rite had a local body shop paint them. they work very well at keep the cold & rain off you. i have to take them off in the summer as it is just too hot with them on. i jokeingly refer to my little 650 as a mini RT.
Nice! Thx
Old 05-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #22
jwnsc OP
Hang in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
I'd try the PlastiDip spray. I've watched a lot of videos on it and bought a can but haven't got around to it yet. Love the fact you can peel it off later and go back to nice clean silver boxes for resale purposes.

I noticed the finishes in the videos were all smooth paint. The Jesses have a "hammered" looking finish which is not smooth. Wonder if that would make a difference with the PlastiDip, and if so, what kind of prep work on the boxes would be necessary to keep it from prematurely peeling off.

I just painted a metal bracket for a voltage monitor with a few sprays from a can of finely-textured, black Rust-oleum. I'm tempted to just save some money and use a couple cans of that. Cost $16.

mindedness." Mark Twain
Old 05-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #23
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,387
I painted some high dollar wrought Iron furniture with the Hammered finish last summer. This is what I suggested previously. I used the Dark Bronze tone. It sat out this past winter and looks just fine. Also, a friend of mine just painted a set of used Jesse bags and trunk that he in stalled on his 97' GS1200. I think he confirmed with Jesse that they use the same paint. He used the Silver and they now look like new. You could use Black or possibly even the Bright Red. You could try a sample and see how it matches the red on your bike.

http://www.rustoleum.com/cbgproduct.asp?pid=29
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #24
jwnsc OP
Hang in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
Also, a friend of mine just painted a set of used Jesse bags and trunk that he in stalled on his 97' GS1200. I think he confirmed with Jesse that they use the same paint. He used the Silver and they now look like new. You could use Black or possibly even the Bright Red. You could try a sample and see how it matches the red on your bike.

http://www.rustoleum.com/cbgproduct.asp?pid=29

Do you know if your friend used the recommended Flat Aluminum Primer
or how he prepped the surface?

mindedness." Mark Twain
Old 05-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #25
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnsc View Post
Do you know if your friend used the recommended Flat Aluminum Primer
or how he prepped the surface?
I'll ask him.
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #26
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Pissed

I don't care what anybody says. Nothing that comes out of a rattle can is as durable as a professionaly applied finish!! The OP is talking about a couple of grand worth of luggage and the hacks here are trying to talk him into a spray bomb job! Look at the thread about gluing the knobs back on your tires. There is a fool born every minute!! GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #27
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Pissed

Oh my aren’t you eloquent ... Hacks, fool? . By the way it's more like $1,200 - $1,300 for a set of Jesses.
$1430 for the side and $580 for the top. It doesn't matter to me if he does a $10 rattle can job on his stuff or not. It just kills me that someone would take advice from internet idiots that with NO idea what they are talking about. GH
Old 05-07-2012, 03:13 AM   #28
jwnsc OP
Hang in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
Oh my aren’t you eloquent ... Hacks, fool? . By the way it's more like $1,200 - $1,300 for a set of Jesses.
$1430 for the side and $580 for the top. It doesn't matter to me if he does a $10 rattle can job on his stuff or not. It just kills me that someone would take advice from internet idiots that with NO idea what they are talking about. GH

Easy, now, easy now, the last time I checked the boxes, they were still sporting their professionally-applied silver powder coat. Obviously, the maxim "De gustibus non est disputandum" has not made much of an impression. Heck, some people even believe the silver looks fine with the red and black. FWIW, I'm just "tempted" to go the quick and easy rattle can route, but still "leaning" towards the professionally-applied black paint if I don't sell them. The Line-X and black powder coat options are also professionally applied.

Also, for the record, I have the invoice for the Jesses from the original owner from XplorerMoto. He paid $1295 for the panniers and $510 for the top case three years ago. How much of the $8K total selling price of the bike the Jesses comprised was never discussed.

mindedness." Mark Twain

jwnsc screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 05:13 AM
Old 05-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #29
GH41
Studly Adventurer

I have lived in SC for 25 years and never knew it was once called the iodine state! I know I suck but have you thought about calling Al Jesse and getting the name of the powder coat guy he uses? I know he doesn't do it in house. Coating is not that expensive if the applicator is using that color day in and out. It may be worth a shot. GH
Old 05-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #30
jwnsc OP
Hang in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
I have lived in SC for 25 years and never knew it was once called the iodine state! I know I suck but have you thought about calling Al Jesse and getting the name of the powder coat guy he uses? I know he doesn't do it in house. Coating is not that expensive if the applicator is using that color day in and out. It may be worth a shot. GH
Yes, and our unofficial motto is "Thank God for Louisiana!"

I have a pretty good powder coating guy here in Summerville. (Suraco's)
He'll only charge $100 bucks for the two side boxes if I do all the other prep work, and can wait until a bigger order using the semi-gloss black I like is being done. Don't think he can duplicate the hammered finish Jesse used. Won't hurt to try to locate Al's guy, but if they want $25 shipping for a $40 gasket kit, I'm wondering what it'll cost to ship two boxes from SC to AZ and back. I'm riding to IA at the end of the month. Slight detour to Glendale?

mindedness." Mark Twain