ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
SPO OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Oddometer: 151
R80ST skid plate options

So, been doing a bunch o searching, and it looks like there are only a few options;

-Swap out the sump and replace with r100gs sump, then fit GS skid plate/twin headlight/touratech/etc.

-Brush up on my German, sell my left kidney (I'm right handed) and pony up for one of those siebenrock sump extender bash plate combo jobbies.

-Fab up something that will be low profile, mount to the frame, and gain me fame beyond my wildest dreams in the r80st community.

-Maybe I don't even need one of these bash plate things. It's just the CDR, right? Suck it up pansy boy.

-Bring some JB Weld and channel my inner Airhead Wrangler if the opportunity arises.

Any other options I'm missing?


Seth
SPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 6,807
you could also get a used R80G/S oil pan and pickup. I know, I know....not easy to find. My other idea before i got lucky enough to find a pan, was to take my ST pan to a good welder and have them weldmount points into my existing pan. Contact Beater. Had found a sump ext. with bash plate somewhere else and the price IIRC was very reasonable.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SPO View Post
So, been doing a bunch o searching, and it looks like there are only a few options;

-Swap out the sump and replace with r100gs sump, then fit GS skid plate/twin headlight/touratech/etc.

-Brush up on my German, sell my left kidney (I'm right handed) and pony up for one of those siebenrock sump extender bash plate combo jobbies.

-Fab up something that will be low profile, mount to the frame, and gain me fame beyond my wildest dreams in the r80st community.

-Maybe I don't even need one of these bash plate things. It's just the CDR, right? Suck it up pansy boy.

-Bring some JB Weld and channel my inner Airhead Wrangler if the opportunity arises.

Any other options I'm missing?


Seth
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough
 
Beater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Oddometer: 2,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
you could also get a used R80G/S oil pan and pickup. I know, I know....not easy to find. My other idea before i got lucky enough to find a pan, was to take my ST pan to a good welder and have them weldmount points into my existing pan. Contact Beater. Had found a sump ext. with bash plate somewhere else and the price IIRC was very reasonable.
What I did: Found a sump extension ... and a 1/4 inch thick stainless steel plate. The sump extension was 30mm, and after doing the math ... it would hold almost exactly what the normal sump would. I explained what I needed to some stainless steel fabricator friends, and they enthusiastically jumped in to help. Anyway, it's all explained here (look at post 191).. I think it would be just as good with a 1/8 inch steel plate. That 1/4 ss plate weighs 6 pounds by itself.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...cation&page=13
__________________
Fred
'85 R80RT G/Sified <|> '91 R100GS Bumblebee (103K miles and climbing) <|> '73 R75/5 LWB
Airhead Zen: Ride - Repair - Ride - Maintain - Ride - Repeat
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico
 
Airhead Wrangler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Back in Seattle, FINALLY
Oddometer: 6,319
If you've got the time I'd do what beater did. That's definitely the most durable. I'd countersink the bolts though. The other bolt on skid plates aren't so great as they all bolt on to the same thin aluminum casting.
__________________
R80ST Gets The HPN Treatment
Seattle to TDF on an airhead

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
acap650
acap650
 
acap650's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Western PA
Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
you could also get a used R80G/S oil pan and pickup. I know, I know....not easy to find. My other idea before i got lucky enough to find a pan, was to take my ST pan to a good welder and have them weldmount points into my existing pan. Contact Beater. Had found a sump ext. with bash plate somewhere else and the price IIRC was very reasonable.
Not too hard to find: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785341

It's been on the FM about a week. I was going to man up my ST but ended up getting a DR instead. Still have the ST and just like it for what it is.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 6,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
Not too hard to find: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785341

It's been on the FM about a week. I was going to man up my ST but ended up getting a DR instead. Still have the ST and just like it for what it is.
Awesome!!!!! Better grab it SPO FYI I have a stock G/S bash plate I could sell you.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
SPO OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Oddometer: 151
I'm now the owner of a GS sump! Thanks acap!

Thanks everyone for your help!
SPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico
 
Airhead Wrangler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Back in Seattle, FINALLY
Oddometer: 6,319
You're going to need a shorter oil pickup and dipstick as well. You can just cut off the dipstick though.
__________________
R80ST Gets The HPN Treatment
Seattle to TDF on an airhead

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough
 
Beater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Oddometer: 2,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I'd countersink the bolts though. .

+1 That will be version 2.0 ... actually it will be a 1/8 SS steel with 4, 3/8 inch fins rising right next to the bolt heads. But good job on the oil pan score ... that is the easiest way to go about it (and if I had a choice I probably would have gone that route as well)

__________________
Fred
'85 R80RT G/Sified <|> '91 R100GS Bumblebee (103K miles and climbing) <|> '73 R75/5 LWB
Airhead Zen: Ride - Repair - Ride - Maintain - Ride - Repeat
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014