Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #13096
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx View Post
Yes, if your clutch basket looks like Flyguy's avatar, it will greatly degrade the clutch's ability to grab. If the basket is worn and If you're cheap and careful, you can repair a worn basket pretty good with a grinding wheel. I've done it with a right angle grinder with good results, better yet was did it on my dad's table saw with a grinding or cutting wheel, when I was a kid.

Though those Hinson baskets look real nice if you're into spending a few bucks on your bike.
Let me say first that I don't fully understand how clutches and baskets work, so let me ask you a stupid question. If a clutch basket is worn, meaning material removed, how can you fix it with a grinding wheel, or even more material removed?

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #13097
XRx
Broken Filter

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
Let me say first that I don't fully understand how clutches and baskets work, so let me ask you a stupid question. If a clutch basket is worn, meaning material removed, how can you fix it with a grinding wheel, or even more material removed?

This one is quite worn. See the teeth where the plates wore in. Now the plates want to ride in the valleys, restrictian their axial movement to engage and disengage, as they actually have to move apart and together axially.

So assuming you are very careful, you can grind away to a flat surface again with pretty good results I've found. But keep in mind you want the surfaces as flat, parallel, and consistent material removal off each row, as accurately is you possible can. Which is why the table saw was better than the angle grinder, more consistent material removal
Old 05-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #13098
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,480
Ok, so it doesn't really matter if they can rotate a bit side to side, as long as they can slide up and down? relative to the orientation of your pic.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #13099
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
So I have a 250r for the really tight stuff, and the 650r for trips and all that stuff. Is there room for a 400r in there also, or is it to similar to the 650 to get?

Anyone own, or owned both or all three at the same time?
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094

SpeedoJosh screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 01:49 PM
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #13100
XRx
Broken Filter

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
Ok, so it doesn't really matter if they can rotate a bit side to side, as long as they can slide up and down? relative to the orientation of your pic.
Exactly. Although there are other considerations too. Like if the sliding surfaces from the factory had the sliding surfaces finished special to reduce friction, you wouldn't have that. And if you took too much material off, eventually full power might bend the fingers if they get too thin to transer the power.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #13101
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
So I have a 250r for the really tight stuff, and the 650r for trips and all that stuff. Is there room for a 450r in there also, or is it to similar to the 650 to get?

Anyone own, or owned both or all three at the same time?
Do you mean the XR400R? I have heard it feels close to the 650R in handling/weight from some people, but to others every pound matters and the 650R has some pounds on it. Personally wouldn't bother with the CRF450R unless you do MX and like doing engine work.

I think your setup is pretty balanced.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #13102
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Yea, sorry, the XR400, not 450.
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #13103
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
Yea, sorry, the XR400, not 450.
I have a XR400R also, my buddy has an XR250R, the 250R makes a decent (but dated) ST machine, it's light, has a 6sp and is a simple aircooled mount. He rides some serious knarl on it, it's a cheap ST bike that will do what you need it to but you won't win any HP contests with it. The 400R is a good machine, reliable, does everything ok also but it's also very dated compared to whats out there now, it does everything decently and better then most if not all of the Jap enduros that are out there now but the newer (off road only) bikes are going to perform noticably better. Similar to the the niche you fine the XR250R in. I think the 650R has retained it's appeal much longer because there's not allot of off-road focus from the factories in the 650cc range so there's only 1 decent alternative to the XRs HP and off-road ability and it's almost $11K

The smaller XR400 is not that way, it's in amoungst some very stiff competition from the orange camp. I use it as my loaner bike for buddies that come out to visit, not knocking the XR400, it's been a great machine that's never let me down but it'd never be my primary (smaller) bike, it's a little too heavy and underpowered for my tastes. I'd choose something different for that size and it'd probably be orange just because I think the japs have lost their focus or don't really care about the serious DS non-mx market, their's is probably a sales driven decision.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #13104
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
Capt. Egregious, I have a XPC suede seat and I still am VERY HAPPY with it. The seat has gotten even more comfortable with time. Below is a link to my review of the seat a short time after I received it. 200 plus mile days are comfortable on the seat and I figure roughly I have 6000 miles on the seat. IMHO it was money well spent...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=5442
Great looking seat and XRR. I think I will take Guts seat off the list and put XPC at the top. Looking at the Renazco also. Thank you for the info. What foam did you go with? Is suede the strongest/toughest?
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #13105
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Egregious View Post
Great looking seat and XRR. I think I will take Guts seat off the list and put XPC at the top. Looking at the Renazco also. Thank you for the info. What foam did you go with? Is suede the strongest/toughest?
I'm surprised no one brought up the Seat Concepts foam/cover kit. Hard to beat for $160 - but you do have to use your existing pan and staple it together. (or pay SC - or an upholstery shop to do it for you). Very good quality materials, and they can tailor the foam density to your weight if you're near the ends of the 160-250 lb range.

http://seatconcepts.com/products#ecw...roduct=7268061

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #13106
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
I like the price of the Seat Concepts kit better. Anyone have alot of seat time on the SC product?

Edit: just did search alil here on ADV and found alot of good reviews for the Seat Concepts. Saving abit of cash on the seat will allow the extra funds re-rewind my stator again(18 ga this time).

Capt. Egregious screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 08:04 PM
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #13107
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 293
[QUOTE=Capt. Egregious;18627603]I like the price of the Seat Concepts kit better. Anyone have alot of seat time on the SC product?

I've got about 3000 miles on mine and i love it.It is holding up very well(looks like new) Stapled it myself .
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #13108
worldrider555
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Don't forget the $10 off for being a ADV member on the Seat Concepts site!
worldrider555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #13109
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Egregious View Post
I like the price of the Seat Concepts kit better. Anyone have alot of seat time on the SC product?

Edit: just did search alil here on ADV and found alot of good reviews for the Seat Concepts. Saving abit of cash on the seat will allow the extra funds re-rewind my stator again(18 ga this time).
My experience is with a DR350, and it's great. First long ride I took it on, I realized after an hour or so of highway that I hadn't even thought about the seat. Next time I thought about it was about a half hour before I got home from that 300mile+ day.
Here's an XR guy:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=350

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=7867

Thread 'o plenty for all seat concepts:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #13110
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I have a XR400R also, my buddy has an XR250R, the 250R makes a decent (but dated) ST machine, it's light, has a 6sp and is a simple aircooled mount. He rides some serious knarl on it, it's a cheap ST bike that will do what you need it to but you won't win any HP contests with it. The 400R is a good machine, reliable, does everything ok also but it's also very dated compared to whats out there now, it does everything decently and better then most if not all of the Jap enduros that are out there now but the newer (off road only) bikes are going to perform noticably better. Similar to the the niche you fine the XR250R in. I think the 650R has retained it's appeal much longer because there's not allot of off-road focus from the factories in the 650cc range so there's only 1 decent alternative to the XRs HP and off-road ability and it's almost $11K

The smaller XR400 is not that way, it's in amoungst some very stiff competition from the orange camp.
Same opinion here. I rode a '89 250r the other day down on the res. I liked it even with bald tires and no fork fluid. That thing had barely seen maintenance and could still carry a 250lb indian across serious terrain.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote