Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #31
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,809
Mucking about with anti-seize/locking compounds and torque settings is a complex business and maybe contraindicated as previous posters have suggested (and there is a lot of experience out there from people stuffing it all up). Stretched bolts, stripped threads and the worst - a snapped bolt is to be expected if this is all done wrong. And bolts that are constantly be loosened and tightened (as wheel bolts are) are going to be a lot more sensitive to damage over time...

But if you are tempted to put something on the threads e.g. Loctite Silver Grade Anti-Seize you need to add in a torque value coefficient and in the case of the aforementioned Loctite product it would be 0.18. Some people have also promoted the use of anti-sieze on the clamping surface to prevent galling - I am not so sure about that. This can really change the pressure on the bolt.

(I do use the anti-seize for the wheel bolts on my Mercedes as thread galling has been a problem, as is bolt snapping while undoing).

Check out this .pdf from Loctite. I use this product frequently on *clean* threads and clamping surfaces, but always add in the torque coefficient.

The other really really useful thing to do with wheel nuts - paint a white line across the bolt to the hub to mark the bolt position and part of your regular checks should be to quickly glance at the painted marks to see if the bolts have shifted position. And yes I do do that, when I check the oil level.

I have tried a few products and find liquid paper (remember the old typewriters???) works quite well.

Disclaimer - am not an engineer or qualified mechanic. Just been around for a while...

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #32
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,592
Ditto with the liquid paper. If something is removed and rebolted to torque, i just have to scratch off the old white stuff and re-apply. Saves a lot of angst on the road.

vagueout screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 06:53 AM
vagueout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #33
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 929
I just replaced my rear lug bolts this past fall,they were 10 years old. I knew they had been over tightened in the past and once that has been done there is always the chance they will loosen or snap off.
No anti-seize or oil on mine please.
The old ones were a bit rusty on the threads anyway.
They are one of the things I check with a T. wrench before any longish ride.

The liquid white out is a great idea.