User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #106
HondaVsTheWorld OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Bike Update

Ok.. A quick bike update… Basically the bike is running better than ever… seems crazy right?? Well after the wheel rebuild with nice fat spokes she’s more stable on the road, especially with so much weight hanging out the back. The old rusted spokes just refused to tighten.. well they were pretty old… but big news on the engine front which I was delaying is this.
Since i left Alaska the problem of her misfiring/stuttering/hesitating going down hills has completely stopped, this has had me at my wits end trying to solve, plus, I am also getting just more than 100 miles to the tank (3.5L). Incredible!!. Previously I was getting 70-75miles. This has been an amazing turn around!! and all as a result of a simple air filter change. I’ll monitor fuel use more closely to give a better results. But Im very happy with the way she is running. Despite my mishap of breaking the screen again to today. Okay okay.. i’m a pussy and maybe need to get rid of the screen, but it has served me well and I will feel bad to just abandon it. I remember each crack.. god bless..falling into ditch in a “closed” Canadian campsite was probably the most eventful of those cracks.. My old back pack is also falling apart and I have also decided to just patch it up with Duct tape and try make it home with that too…

So there we have it anyway.. she’s flying it… and now I just need to make up mind when to leave.
Yours Ever Indecisive
Sean Paddy Dillon
HondaVsTheWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #107
HondaVsTheWorld OP
Adventurer

Another eventful day today... it started really well..
The bike had done 112 miles on 1 tank.. incredible.. I pulled in for lunch in Cintalapa, Chiapas, and parked the bike up beside Santa Muerta...( Saint of the Dead) the writing was on the wall..

When I came back I had a flat.. on closer inspection the tyre was not seated correctly and was pinching the tube since leaving Puebla.. I should have checked that the "Pro" who had changed it had seated it properly. I know how hard it is to seat those Gazelle tyres. Luckily it must have been the last bump I hit as I pulled in to the Comedor (one step below a restaurant with very decent food). So I was lucky it was not to be a high speed off as a result of a puncture (speaking relatively of course.)
No, that little surprise would be saved till later..

I got my kit out and fixed the flat and had a great laugh joking with some local kids as i fixed it. They were great company and kept me in a good mood. Santa Muerta looking over my shoulder as I worked away. After I had finished the repair job I headed off down the road and only maybe 10 minutes or so down the road I had a big off and left the road at speed.

As I was driving along I looked down as I thought I heard a funny noise, in that split second I had veered only a couple of feet. The road, as is typical in Mexico, had no hard shoulder and was built about 1 meter over ground level. I left the road travelling at around 40mph, landed pretty straight, held it for half a second then the bike planted me firmly in the dirt. The bike dug into the ground and promptly flipped over me hitting me on the way and came to an abrupt stop in the ditch. I remember tumbling and one of the flashes, like a few frames of a picture, was lots of dust and the bike tumbling. Not good

There was very little damage to me or the bike, Thank God, which I am very surprised about. The white front handle bar fairing is a little cracked and prevented any damage to the handle bars and throttle and the back box was undamaged and stayed firmly closed throughout due to extra precaution of strapping it closed as it popped opened once before.

I have a bruised ass and I have a few scrapes on my legs and my newly installed strip lights are busted on one side. The pads in the jacket did their job also, no pains there. I just ripped one finger of my glove. A bit shook, but all good in the end.

A passing local motorcyclist stopped and helped me pick the bike up. (thank you!). The bike started as usual on the second kick.

I have to say I am a bit pissed off with myself for losing concentration, especially on these roads. There are monuments to hundreds and maybe even thousands of people who died along the roads in Mexico many because there is no hard shoulder. Its very unforgiving. Once you leave the road you drop suddenly and have no control and its really down to luck after that. Lesson Learned. Thank fully there were no road signs or it could have been a different story.

I havent figured out whether Santa Muerta brought me good luck or bad luck today! thankfully all is good so I'm saying She brought me good luck!!.... Gulp..

Old 05-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #108
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Let me guess ... you fell asleep and ran off the road? I hope that wasn't your camp site!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #109
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Blame the Mexican roadbuilding on the Romans. All the roads in Mexico are
the same, off camber turns(bends) and no shoulders. It works well for
drainage, but is hell on the unsuspecting. Glad to hear that only your
pride was damaged. Keep on truckin'.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #110
HondaVsTheWorld OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Let me guess ... you fell asleep and ran off the road? I hope that wasn't your camp site!
ha No...

Thought I heard a noise looked down and before I knew it i was over the edge... stupid real.. just shows how quickly shit can change!

one for the story bag...
Old 05-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #111
HondaVsTheWorld OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
Blame the Mexican roadbuilding on the Romans. All the roads in Mexico are
the same, off camber turns(bends) and no shoulders. It works well for
drainage, but is hell on the unsuspecting. Glad to hear that only your
pride was damaged. Keep on truckin'.
cheers man.. yep some randon roads out here... and thats not even to mention those f@ing topes... jeeeezzz
Old 05-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #112
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaVsTheWorld View Post
ha No...

Thought I heard a noise looked down and before I knew it i was over the edge... stupid real.. just shows how quickly shit can change!

one for the story bag...
I've done the same while trail riding narrow single track. One moment of inattention ... and your off! Glad you came out OK!

One advantage I like with my DR650 is it can easily jump off that road and land on its feet on that dirt with no probs ... and I don't even slow for Topes. Ohlins shock, heavy springs, Race Tech Emulators. All good.

On my first ever Central America trip (1974) I traveled with friends in a big Camper (Cab over type) We were basically on a Surf trip to El Salvador and Costa Rica. We toted my little Honda 50 step through ... and many times that little bruiser turned out to save the day ... and saved our butts. I eventually bailed out of the trip (in El Salvador where I stayed a couple months surfing) I ended up riding the Honda 50 all the way to Oaxaca, Mex. where I met a friend and got a lift for me and bike back to US. Gone 6 months on that trip. I've done 2 or 3 more since.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #113
HondaVsTheWorld OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I've done the same while trail riding narrow single track. One moment of inattention ... and your off! Glad you came out OK!

One advantage I like with my DR650 is it can easily jump off that road and land on its feet on that dirt with no probs ... and I don't even slow for Topes. Ohlins shock, heavy springs, Race Tech Emulators. All good.

On my first ever Central America trip (1974) I traveled with friends in a big Camper (Cab over type) We were basically on a Surf trip to El Salvador and Costa Rica. We toted my little Honda 50 step through ... and many times that little bruiser turned out to save the day ... and saved our butts. I eventually bailed out of the trip (in El Salvador where I stayed a couple months surfing) I ended up riding the Honda 50 all the way to Oaxaca, Mex. where I met a friend and got a lift for me and bike back to US. Gone 6 months on that trip. I've done 2 or 3 more since.
hahah fantasic the auld HOnda 50 eh... cant beat with a stick!!! fair fu@cks to you.. that was pretty adventurous back then, surf hunting... Have you seen the docu/film Wave Riders?.... if not get it on line... awesome piece of film... when else do you see lads surfing 40ft waves with the back drop of the cliffs of Moher in Ireland... it tracks the unlikey connection of Ireland and surfing plus some of the old pioneers and some of the new bucks who are coming to Ireland to surf Baleens wave.... its great..

anyways.. your DR sound the job.. cant believe you dont even have to slow down for topes!!... they are my worst enemy....i cant even see em half the time.. and have launched myself off them.. defo cant ride at night..!!

Once I was looking for a place using my i phone as GPS, one hand on throttle... phone in other.. BANG tope... caught some air.. landed straight... crap... another lesson learned there..
Old 05-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #114
HondaVsTheWorld OP
Adventurer

Sure its all good right?

Its all fun right?? I am having the time of my life right!.. sure I am.. but sure shit has to go wrong too and I have had a interesting week of it...
here is the gist of a conversation I had with a doctor today conducted in Spanglish..

The note has no particular form.. its more of a brain fart really..

Sean: Doctor I am itchy all over my body.. its worse at night.. the itching is getting worse cada dia.. at times unbearable. its feels like i have insects crawling on me...? que pasa homeboy?
Doctor: ah take your shirt off..
Sean (mental note: not necessary to pull pants down- thank god) ok.
Doctor: ah dont worry.. you have an infection on your skin.. you have Impetigo.. caused by the bacteria Streptoccus due to the change in environment..
Sean: (mental note) yes I was sweating balls for the last few days before i arrived in San Chris. 40 deg in Tuxtula!!)
Doctor: here's a shit load of drugs Sean go back and pile this shit on you and whack these tablets down yer gullet you'll soon be grand dude...that will be 30 pesos for the consultation...
Sean: you mean 2 euros Doc?... here have 50 homie.. muchas gracias..

Meanwhile back at the hotel...
Shower, followed by beard and genital trimming, followed by antibiotics and generous application of cream.. ahhhhhhh... shit balls it burrrrrns....

Ok Sean calm down, resist temptation to cry and/or call for mammy...

So that was my last few hours...

But the hours previous to that were great.. checked out the awesome market in San Christobal... and found out that my photo entry won the Biker.ie photo of the month competition.. wahooo... 50 euros.. at the present rate of consumption that will get me 2500 miles!!!

Sure its all good...
Old 05-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #115
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Wow! Scary! I hope the meds put you right!
Interesting story about Surfing Ireland. I had no idea! I haven't Surfed in ages. Too cold round San Fran Bay area.

Good waves in La Libertad, El Salvador. Quite a Surf culture there as I understand it. Will check out the movie, thanks! All the best with the skin issues. Lots of bugs about in the tropics, really hard to stay healthy. I about died two or three times in my 7 years in the region. Mostly from Flu (Gripe) and Hepatitis.

"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" or so the saying goes!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #116
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
I visited a surf shop in Lahinch some years back and I must say the eastern
Atlantic does not look hospitable. Just thinking of surfing off the Cliffs
of Moher sounds downright stupid. I must find that vid.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #117
Cereal KLR
Bring Donuts.

Oddometer: 17
Still with us Sean? How is the brothel job working out?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #118
HondaVsTheWorld OP
Adventurer

Lots of adventure sice i last posted...

Heres a couple of videos to catch up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23gsc...WRJNu8PTwcCV-Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9SyI...WRJNu8PTwcCV-Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMqG7...wcCV-Q&index=1
Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 AM   #119
GuateRider