Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #421
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Since I'm now out of the LED business having settled on the Squadrons I made some that bolt into the lower portion and the driver has 3 modes, full, 30% for street and strobe. Thing is they don't fit with the dual Squadrons and after testing it I want to place them on top instead of below.

All this still needs quite a bit of refinement and I getting buried with work, so that's backburner stuff.

Are you fitting one of these there:
Old 05-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #422
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Seems to me that to get nbthe Odometers as close as possible to the roadbook you need to eliminate the odo mounting tabs and find a better way of attaching them.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #423
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Are you fitting one of these there:
No, not the Stryker but very closely based on it, I have a lot of parts to use up.

Quote:
Seems to me that to get nbthe Odometers as close as possible to the roadbook you need to eliminate the odo mounting tabs and find a better way of attaching them.
I'm thinking 3 different ways for now, a protector that is part of the roadbook "frame" such that the tabs are out the sides and part of the structure, a breakaway, so that the tabs will be the weak point, or the one I'm leaning towards, a separate plastic piece that can be heated up and bent to a preferred position by the rider, that way it could be flexible in a crash too. I have time on that and will play with it when the electronics get here.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #424
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,426
Talking Rallye-lite "minimalist" is the next big thing...

Quote:
On the frame mount, the Raid setup looks like it works with SE's, but that clamp setup wouldn't work with most smaller bikes I know of, no room to clamp. I'm more of a fan of welding to the frame, then bolting right now. Is this the one you meant?

That's the tower/frame bracket they developed for the SuperEnduro (and yes... that's way too big for the application that we are discussing)

But the guys at RD's have a bolt on/clamp on 55mm dia. bracket that they made for the 2009 on FE Husaberg's, that is smaller/suitable for application on an enduro/rallye lite application.

Also - just today - they have released a "minimalist" rally tower/roadbook system... along the lines of that we are talking about.

http://www.raiddesigns.com/en/products/products-and-services/mrs/mrs-5551.html
Old 05-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #425
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
The minimalist nav bracket thay Paul made Mike and I for the MX 1k worked great. Baja is brutal and we rode fairly hard, so its a testiment to Pauls work.

Paul, your design very much looks like what we discussed.
I wish you would make a roadbook, the possibilities would be endless.
As a side note, having the ODO below the RB wasn't a deal breaker.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #426
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,550
What kind of controls are people using for the turn signal switch?
Parx400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #427
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
You arms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #428
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
The minimalist nav bracket thay Paul made Mike and I for the MX 1k worked great. Baja is brutal and we rode fairly hard, so its a testiment to Pauls work.

Paul, your design very much looks like what we discussed.
I wish you would make a roadbook, the possibilities would be endless.
As a side note, having the ODO below the RB wasn't a deal breaker.
The ICO/Watchdog Must be mounted on top of the road book!
I would use TWO ICO's and a MD roadbook and a Lorwrance 5" GPS
with one HID Flood and one HID Spot or two 2x4 LED's all behind the mask.

This is the set up I want for the V2R and the Baja 1000
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #429
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
I mounted a 3 way toggle switch up on my "dash" below the roadbook. Kind of a pain to reach for in traffic but keeps me legal. Like Baja Dad suggests, I normally just use my arm to signal.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #430
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
The ICO/Watchdog Must be mounted on top of the road book!
I would use TWO ICO's and a MD roadbook and a Lorwrance 5" GPS
with one HID Flood and one HID Spot or two 2x4 LED's all behind the mask.

This is the set up I want for the V2R and the Baja 1000
V2R eh.... see you there?
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #431
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
So I've been playing around with a few different ideas with the help of Crankshaft and Pilo, here's the next iteration, the roadbook mount can rotate in the event of a crash if tightened just right, but I plan on an adjustable turn buckle kicker for mine. The side plates bolt onto a plate sandwiched between the upper triple and the lower handlebar clamp that cantilevers out front, on the rider side there is a subplate that the damper mounts to that is adjustable. On KTM's this stackup mounts with all 4 M10 bolts in the upper triple making it pretty strong. The lower mount goes to the 2 M6 threaded holes in the lower triple.

With 2 Baja Designs Squadrons, these have 4 Cree XML LED's pull only 44watts and are very bright.

The second Squadron comes into use with the removal of 4 small screws that hold the bezel of the headlight mask, then reattach the stock bezel, will be refining that. The headlight mask can mount on either the top or bottom Squadron. Trying to keep a street legal looking setup to keep the scrutiny down.

Night time veiw of the Squadrons. They are very nice!

Only been able to take it out a few times after work and have yet to do a long ride with it, but so far I haven't noticed any strange handling from it, and for the time being I have the brake and speedo lines ziptied to the handguards as there doesn't appear to be anything for them to hang up on except branches and bushes.

I'd like to find a 3-3.5" HID that has a good focus to replace the lower Squadron for better throw, might end up trying to make one.

The next version w/frame mount, if I can stop dicking with the rest of it.

Let me know what you think and as always be brutal.

Wow! That is awesome I will have to pass this along immediately.

Gordon BD
760 560 2252 ext 126 and/or ext.123
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:36 AM   #432
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
update

Just wanted to give a quick update on how the RB set up worked for me in Greece. In a word "Great". The only problem I had was the back light on the ICO backing out and not having power for the light but as I was riding during day I did not notice till I got in as the sun was setting.(some tape fixed that problem) Beside from taking a wrong turn at the second tulip of the stage, I was able to pick up the Navigation quickly and did not get LBS for the rest of the day.

Im looking at going with the RMS bolt on rally kit from RMS as soon as I get the bike running a bit better. Im still not happy with the off idle bog I have and a few other annoying problems.

Big thanks to all here who helped with suggestions for the bike set up along with RMS and F2R for quick ship times on the Nav. equipment.

Looking forward to another rally soon.

10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot

RuckedUp screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 02:41 AM
RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #433
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckedUp View Post
Just wanted to give a quick update on how the RB set up worked for me in Greece. In a word "Great". The only problem I had was the back light on the ICO backing out and not having power for the light but as I was riding during day I did not notice till I got in as the sun was setting.(some tape fixed that problem) Beside from taking a wrong turn at the second tulip of the stage, I was able to pick up the Navigation quickly and did not get LBS for the rest of the day.

Im looking at going with the RMS bolt on rally kit from RMS as soon as I get the bike running a bit better. Im still not happy with the off idle bog I have and a few other annoying problems.

Big thanks to all here who helped with suggestions for the bike set up along with RMS and F2R for quick ship times on the Nav. equipment.

Looking forward to another rally soon.

What kind of vest/ pack is this guy wearing?
Parx400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #434
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbastard View Post
So I will be doing a rally navigation experience event in 6 weeks hosted by Dakar stage winner Jonah Street. As I haven't done a rally moto before I needed to make a few changes to my dirt bike for the event.

It would be nice if I could mount this a little higher and further forward for viewing while standing. I was messing around with an electric screw driver I have and think I can convert this set up to have electric scrolling, maye set it up to work of my horn button. I've got 6 weeks to finallize my set up.

FYI:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but go ahead and invest in an F2R now cause you will buy one anyways after the RB event.

The Acerbis unit is terrible and does not scroll the RB properly. I did the same thing as you and hated the cheap acerbis unit. Turning the roadbook by hand when it does work is dangerous and impractical.

Load some paper in that thing now and test it out before you go, so you do not ruin your training by using a POS device.

It will turn the paper OK at the beginning, but 1/2 way through you will find that you will have to first unwind the bottom spool before you can win the top spool. All while riding offroad.

I also found that it helps to keep the tube extension that attaches to the page advance knob as short as possible since it tends to twist instead of turning the Rb. A quick tip is to put some glue and a wire tie on both ends of the tube so it does not slip on the knob and roadbook paper shaft.

That is all.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #435
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
FYI:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but go ahead and invest in an F2R now cause you will buy one anyways after the RB event.

The Acerbis unit is terrible and does not scroll the RB properly. I did the same thing as you and hated the cheap acerbis unit. Turning the roadbook by hand when it does work is dangerous and impractical.

Load some paper in that thing now and test it out before you go, so you do not ruin your training by using a POS device.

It will turn the paper OK at the beginning, but 1/2 way through you will find that you will have to first unwind the bottom spool before you can win the top spool. All while riding offroad.

I also found that it helps to keep the tube extension that attaches to the page advance knob as short as possible since it tends to twist instead of turning the Rb. A quick tip is to put some glue and a wire tie on both ends of the tube so it does not slip on the knob and roadbook paper shaft.

That is all.
I agree with YP. But this advice is coming too late for the guy who is already set up. Maybe we can at least help someone else.

I'm always troubled when I see that Acerbis roadbook at a rally school. Rally is a passion and I love to share it. However, I agree that this roadbook is a good way to turn fun into annoying real quick. I'm always wondering if it turns more people off than it does turn them on.

A better option is the F2R manual roadbook. It's more a stripped down pro unit than a plastic container, but at least the knob don't fall off on the first ride. About the same price as the Acerbis. Better yet, the F2R 730 is really not that expensive, especially when compared to an MD. If you're just into "trying rally", why not buy one and then sell it in the flea market when done and lose less than the cost of the Acerbis unit?

Also, be careful putting all that stuff on the EE universal crossbar. The small machine screws that hold the top bar onto the two verticals are a common failure point. There's a reason that we designed our own. ;-)

Have fun riding with Jonah. He's awesome!

Dave
DaveRMS is online now   Reply With Quote