Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #211
rascalman
GhostRider

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
It is very tempting. I have a lot of summer classes, running my daughter around, it wouldn't be so bad if I could get her on the back of the Burgman. I'd also like the option of cross country runs. Thanks!
I didn't get much saddle time for the first month of ownership due to winter and rain, but the last month and a half I logged about 1600 to 1700 miles and it has given me more enjoyment than many of the other bikes I've owned over the years.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #212
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
I am still pretty keen on a Burgman 650. Does anyone have a tall Givi windshield on their 650, I was wondering do you look through that windshield or over the top of it?

A local guy is selling one, asking $5500 for a 09 with 5K miles. Might be a little high, but I like the white color. What would you pay for that? It has the tall Givi shield and backrest.
I paid $5k out the door for my 08 650 Exec with 4,000 on the clock 2 weeks ago. It is completely stock - no after-market parts anywhere. I don't think its ever been ridden in the rain - its very clean. Other than a couple of very minor scratches it appears as new.

Even with gas prices climbing like a rocket and good riding weather there seems to be little interest in scooters in my area. I see the same ads on Craigs List week after week and it isn't like there's a ton of them - just a few. We are more of a quad and dirt bike area than motorcycles. Some areas are hotbeds for scooters and the price might be a bit low.

I'm wondering if this guy will ever sell his 650 - http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/2920859905.html - this is a great reminder that the cool custom paint job you want to put on your ride might not attract others to buy your ride.

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #213
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 715

If that said SQUID, I'd be all over it
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #214
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

If that said SQUID, I'd be all over it
...and that owner would be all over that lettering (change it) if he could sell it.
I think the paint job is butt-ugly. But what do I know???

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia
Old 05-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #215
reddogguy1
Flying Under The Radar

Oddometer: 442
[QUOTE=knucklehead90;18358260]

Also - any recommendations for a stock height (or close) windshield that covers a wider area than the stock one?

Givi Airflow, hands down
Old 05-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #216
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,635
[QUOTE=reddogguy1;18626075]
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead90 View Post

Also - any recommendations for a stock height (or close) windshield that covers a wider area than the stock one?

Givi Airflow, hands down
The two aftermarket screens that constantly get a mention are the Givi and the Clearview.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #217
reddogguy1
Flying Under The Radar

[QUOTE=vortexau;18627529]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogguy1 View Post

The two aftermarket screens that constantly get a mention are the Givi and the Clearview.
I also have the Clear View short. Doesn't do much in the way of wind protection, that's why I went w/ the Givi Airflow. It's adjustable so to me it is the summer or winter screen. Check them out. I have it adjusted so that top of screen is probably at nose level. I am looking over the screen. The double shield allows it to push the "over the shield" air above your head using the "pressurized air". Rode here in Southeast Texas bug capital of the world this weekend with no bugs on my helmet. Sorry, little PUI at the moment. Bottom line is the Corbin seat and the Givi Airflow were the two most important mods I have made.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #218
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

I've done a quick search on google for the Give Airflow for my 650 Exec. Doesn't seem to be one made for it.

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia
Old 05-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #219
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 616
From their website:
http://www.giviusa.com/My-motorcycle...ecutive-02--09
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #220
reddogguy1
Flying Under The Radar

Quote:
I've done a quick search on google for the Give Airflow for my 650 Exec. Doesn't seem to be one made for it.

Oops, didn't snap you had B650. The adjustable stocker is not sufficient? Perhaps adding a laminar lip to the stock may do the trick?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #221
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogguy1 View Post
Oops, didn't snap you had B650. The adjustable stocker is not sufficient? Perhaps adding a laminar lip to the stock may do the trick?
I just got done ordering the Clearview 650 GT Large Executive with 5 position adjustable vent. As hot as it gets around here I don't want to be baking behind all that plastic so the vent will be nice on the 90+ days - common for about 3 months of the year. We get a lot of wind around here too - seems like its always from the sides and the stock windshield leaves a bit to be desired IMO. Having 2.5" added to the top and 3" to each side should do it for me.

Thanks to all for helping me zero in on the right windshield. I'll let you know how it works out once I get it on and get some saddle time.

I also have a Givi Monokey basic 46L top case and plate coming. I'll be able to do some serious Costco shopping with this setup. I've got a Kuryakyn Pet Palace for my dog. I can really stuff this thing on a shopping trip or week long trip. The under-seat storage is great but not enough to justify riding 100 miles round trip for a Costco run. I'll be able to once I get the top case on. My 15 pound dog really loves riding along with me in his Pet Palace - makes him feel real special - which he is! He was always kind of afraid of the Harley since it was noisy and shook at idle. He doesn't mind the Burgman at all since is it so smooth.

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia
Old 05-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #222
reddogguy1
Flying Under The Radar

Quote:
I just got done ordering the Clearview 650 GT Large Executive with 5 position adjustable vent. My 15 pound dog really loves riding along with me in his Pet Palace - makes him feel real special - which he is!.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #223
gordonmike51
Old Geezer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec343 View Post
Update

I am now about 99.89% sure that the Honda Silverwing or Burgman 650 will be in my near future. In fact, I've advertised my ST here on this site, as well at the ST-owners site, Craigslist, etc. I really appreciate all of the advice given. I'm leaning toward the Burgman Executive, since I like the larger engine and alternator for heated clothing, plus the electric windscreen, which i don't think the SW has. However, I'm hoping that the new Silverwing updates prior to my purchase. Also, I've not yet tested either scooter, but will in a month or so.
I bought an 06 Executive last March and love it more each time I ride it. The motor-braking that some people don't like is, to me, a big plus......It feels like that slight down-shifting I experienced on my previous (non-automatic) bikes... To each their own, I guess. I have been impressed with the 650 ride and handling......and It's quiet.....an absolute JOY to get on and off of...(I'm 61)......I rode a SW and it was nice, but I likes the Burgman much more. Test ride them both as I did and buy the one that trips your trigger! I get teased by my Harley-riding buddies, but I LOVE my scoot! I also have a KLR 650, but it has been lonesome this summer.

What this country needs are more unemployed politicians -- Edward Langley, Artist
gordonmike51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #224
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
I am the original poster on this subject. In fact,I'd forgotten that I ever started this post. An update is in order.

I sold my ST1300A about a year ago, then purchased a 2010 Gold Wing ABS with 8000 mils on the odometer. I do love this Wing, and find it much easier to ride than my ST1300A, being it is much less top heavy, etc. I've already ridden the Wing over 18000 miles. My dog, Pugsley, loves the large pillion seat.

However, I still plan on switching to a new Maxi Scooter within the next year or two, depending on what 2013/2014 models have to offer.

Just wanted to keep you up to date. Thanks to everyone for your advice and information. Although, I love this Wing, I see a maxi scooter in my future.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #225
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Been riding the 650 Burgman Exec all summer now - I rarely get in the SUV unless I need to take a trip to Costco - I have to 'make it pay' when I go there since it's 50 miles each way. I love this thing! I've got about 2500 miles on it since late March when I bought it. I've ridden the Majesty exactly once in that time. There are a few things I wish Suzuki would address - not many - but a few.

I'd love to have self canceling turn signals! With all the other electronic gadgets you placed on this machine how hard could that have been to incorporate that into the Burgman? I'm spoiled I guess - my last umpteenth cars all had that feature - my last 3 Harley's had them. Gawd all mighty! Nothing looks dumber than someone riding down the road on two wheels with the blinker winkin merrily away! Not that I ever look stupid! I don't need an MPG meter - self canceling turn signals will do me fine.

And a radio! How about something I can buy from you that actually looks like it was made for the B650 instead of a grafted on job? One with a USB port of course. Put it where the bottom glove box is - I don't use it much anyway. And a pair of speakers right about where a set of vents are now. I won't miss them - promise.

And lastly - cruise control. Riders resort to all kinds of things - big o-rings - actual throttle locks - and add on electronic cruise control designed for cars. Wake up Suzuki - someone may be gaining on you.

Other than that I'm very happy with the machine.

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia