User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Aargee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Three days of Ride - On the road from East to West coast

The write-up will come soon...for now...here's the teaser...
Aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Aargee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

May 1st was a holiday, combining the weekend & applying leave on Monday gives 4 days; good time to ride somewhere. Missing the Bekal fort last time (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781740), I thought this will help. This time, I'd a company too. I was in charge of the planning as the new rider was an expert in riding but still learning how to plan for the ride. So this was the map...

Here goes Day 1...
Old 05-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Aargee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day One

We decided to meet at a mutually agreed location; when I started from home, this is what was on ODO

We kept riding & riding for over 200 Kms (125 mi) non stop while we were witnessing the beautiful Sunrise as how the sky turns from dark to red to pink & then finally we couldn't control the urge to stop & take pics...

And then we kept riding & riding. We crossed the TN (Tamilnadu) border & entered to KA (Karnataka) state & kept riding. Had good B'Fast & then kept proceeding until we couldn't help stopping for beautiful scenery of the Gulmohar flower filled roads, the green fields; seriously...pics can't do justice.

And then we were delayed reaching Mysore; what we should've reached in 2 hours, we reached in 4 hours. We made up that time riding non stop from Mysore to Madikeri & here're some fun we'd at Madikeri hills

Its extremely difficult for anyone to differentiate between KL & KA; all the houses, scenery looks all the same everywhere

After Sulliya, we'd some hard time riding through the border; but soon the roads not only turned good, but also was made worth of riding through the blissed roads, this was right entering into the KL border.

We soon reached Bekal & called it a day

Route Map of Day 1

Aargee screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 07:47 PM
Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Aargee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day Two

We'd a very nice accommodation from http://www.nirvanabekal.com/. Extremely friendly people, offered good services & located right next to Bekal Fort. They also have attached restaurant (not tasted the food though). I'd highly recommend this place to anyone who visits Bekal. This place also has a beach in less than 500 foot. Though we decided to start the ride by 6:00 AM, we decided to check out the beach & leave in few minutes, but, little we knew what beauty awaited there!!!

The best part is that, the Bekal Fort is close to the beach

So what was planned as checkout turned out to be a time cruncher; we literally spent nearly 1.5 hours at the beach!!!

Customary pics of cottages at Hotel Nirvana

ODO at start of the day

Some shops enroute

These days I feel the beauty of the road lies in 2 lanes than on super dooper well laid 6 laned highways

And then finally we reached Kutta, the KA border

We lost a great deal of time riding through KA roads; we spent more than 3 hours only to cover hardly 120 Kms (80 mi). Here's the quality of road difference between KA & KL. Needless to say which is KL

The police check post at Kutta

When we entered into KL, we felt like we were riding through heaven!!! If you think these pics are great, I'll say this is crap!!! No pics or video can describe like being there. Absolutely heaven!!!

One of my friend gave an apt title "In the world obsessed with Green, the Red rides right through it"; isn't that true?

And the roads were fantastic to still keep riding

And the scenery even beautiful; yet hard to say which is KL or KA, which indeed is KL though

After crossing Meppadi, we'd 2 morons on a Yamaha YZF R15 trying to do street racing with us. Little they knew we'd been riding over 270 odd Kms & we're still doing over 80 Kmph (In India the speed limits are 40-50...thanks to corruption & lack of enforcement). We let them go on account of photography & most importantly...SAFETY

And we soon entered into TN (Tamilnadu) border once again

We crossed Mudumalai Wildlife Reserve, but didn't take a single pic on account of reaching Masinagudi soon & finding an accommodation, which was a big mistake Anyway, we found an accommodation & took some pics around, but these are very very less scenic compared to the actual Forest

Route map of Day 2

Aargee screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 07:45 PM
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Aargee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day Three

It was a seasonal time at Masinagudi & Ooty; we'd hard time previous day getting an accommodation with most importantly safety of parking. So we decided to skip staying at Ooty & reach home rather than finding impossible accommodation at sky rocketing prices!!!

ODO captured previous night, start of the day

Sunrise at Masinagudi

Sunrise at Ooty

By the time we reached Mettupalayam, we thought to break in for B'Fast; so we found this little place

We asked for Idly & Vada, but the owner politely said, they only had Aapam & told us that we could find Vada for BFast at a place 1Km ahead. This could be quite unsurprising answer for anyone in the West, but here in India, people look only into their business & this is something quite a surprise at the politeness of them. So we decided to eat Aapam; we now understand we would be fools to miss his Aapam. Such a heavenly food at a very low low price!!!

And then we continued from Mettupalayam towards Lower Bhavani; enroute this happened

The roads were inviting, superb, fantastic (did I loose any word )

And we'd some fun...

And soon we reached the boring 4 laned National Highway...

Enroute we saw this temple; wondering how the idols of Policemen were placed along with God; In future we might even start worshiping the Cops

Finally we reached home at 4:20 PM after 570 (360 miles) odd kms

Route Map Day 3

--------------------------------- THE END --------------------------------------
Old 05-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Aargee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by efredette View Post
Thank you for the pictures...nice. Are there any tigers along the way?
Well no; I've been to two Tiger reserves in the South, Kalakad (Mundanthurai) & this one Mudumalai & the Tigers needs to stay careful from us

I hear most people can see Tiger at Tadoba National Forest in Maharashtra. Hope we could ride there someday :)
Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
vaish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
ahhh great to see you here bro.. and thats a wonderful ride and some roads just look so great for a ride :)
vaish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
Aargee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaish View Post
ahhh great to see you here bro.. and thats a wonderful ride and some roads just look so great for a ride :)
Old 05-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
meerobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Awesome scenery and looks like some great roads. Is that curry beside the Aapam? I used to eat that with coconut sugar. Do they sell them like that? Thanks for sharing the RR.
meerobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
Aargee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerobus View Post
Awesome scenery and looks like some great roads
Indeed; not many people prefer riding through them; most people here in this country love to ride to a place, go around site seeing & then ride back; we instead prefer riding through roads no matter how good or bad; we simply love to ride.

Quote:
Is that curry beside the Aapam?
Well, its called chutney, but prepared in KL (Kerala) style, a.k.a Chammandhi; if you're interested in recipe - http://www.sinfulcurry.com/red-cocon...-kerala-style/

Quote:
I used to eat that with coconut sugar
Really? Where?

Quote:
Do they sell them like that?
Like what? In this eat out, they provided this side dish; if the eat out were from TN (Tamilnadu) style, then, they might've provided curry or coconut chutney

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the RR
Pleasure is mine; Tks for reading :)
Old 05-04-2012, 04:32 AM   #11
CuberBob
Starter

Oddometer: 80
Thanks!

Very nice pictures. Looks like it was a great ride!

RIP -80 KZ750, 09 Ninja EX500
CuberBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
Aargee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuberBob View Post
Very nice pictures. Looks like it was a great ride!
Thanks; it was an excellent & memorable ride. All we remember was roads through Forests & the Ghats