Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,045
How do I use the steering lock (Yes I feel like an idiot)

I have a 1992 R100GS and I can't figure out how to lock the bars. I know where the lock is but turning the bars to either side I can't get it to lock. Is there a trick to this? Am I just an idiot?
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #2
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,038
Turn the bars to the right. Push in on the key (to engage the lock into the hole in the steering stem, & then turn it to lock it. You may need to move the bart slightly to get engagement.

BTW, DON'T ever leave the keys in the lock. If you turn the bars back you'll snap the key off in the lock.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
BTW, DON'T ever leave the keys in the lock. If you turn the bars back you'll snap the key off in the lock.
Supposedly this is the reason for the folding keys!
Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,949
Ok....am I an idiot to wonder why they lock to the right??? I mean, it makes way more sense to have it locked to the left. Why did they do this???
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 3,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
Is there a trick to this?

I suggest a hacksaw to cut the thing off. This makes more room for cables through that area.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,063
Quote:

What ^ said; don`t ask me how I know this.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 976
Biggest problem with most Airhead steering locks is that there's a key broken off in the cylinder.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
I read in some motorcycle travel book that a condom inserted into the lock and filled with hand cream will unlock the steering.

Myth-busters?

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
bPat
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Bmw r100r

I posted this question on a different forum, but this is the right one. I too have problems with the steering lock on my new used 92 R100R. The key goes in all the way just fine, but I can't then "push it in". When I turn the key it only goes half a turn and it feels pretty solid after that, like it just doesn't want to go further. I've tried all sorts of key jiggling, pushing in hard and turning the handle bars slightly at the same time.

Any ideas of anything else I could try or do you think it's just pooched. The rest of the bike is in excellent shape.
bPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 446
Best suggestion

Don't use it!!!!!!!

If concerned about someone stealing your bike get a cable lock and lock Tito something!!!!
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #11
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by bPat View Post
The key goes in all the way just fine, but I can't then "push it in". When I turn the key it only goes half a turn and it feels pretty solid after that, like it just doesn't want to go further. I've tried all sorts of key jiggling, pushing in hard and turning the handle bars slightly at the same time.
Ok.

1) Handle bars turned fully to the right.
2) key into lock
3) turn key
4) push key in (keep key turned)
4a) if key refuses to go in then trun barz slowly to the left.. thjey should have been fully right.
5) when key/lock is in, turn key back to rest position and remove key.

If you cannot get the key/lock to go in then the slot for the lock hasp (on the tube attached to the lower triple tees, no you cannot see it with teh bike assembled) has been incorrectly positioned .. probably by someone replacing the steering head bearings.

A determined theft will break the lock. You are better off with a cable and lock as people can see what the theft is upto, rather than assuming the rider is playing with the bars.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:55 AM   #12
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Turn the bars to the right. Push in on the key (to engage the lock into the hole in the steering stem, & then turn it to lock it. You may need to move the bart slightly to get engagement.

My key broke off in my lock so I just drilled it out and fit a u lock thought my wheel and fork leg as that works best.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #13
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,016
Used my RS steering lock once.
Haven't used it since the.......incident.

Went to my wife's work one day to swap the bike for her car to go house hunting.
Was gonna be away for a few hours so I thought I'd lock it.

I got back after a while and got my gear out of the car, walked out to my bike and started putting my gear on, preparing to ride off.
This was all happening under the unblinking gaze of a big fat harley riding looking dude sitting in a fair size mobile crane in the car park about fifty feet away from me. Sitting there, arms crossed just watching me.

I thought 'I'll show you what a real bike sounds like, harley dude'.
Thumbed that starter as I stared at him, unblinking..............yeah, fuckin' sounds all right don't it, fat harley dude.
The bars were pointed to the right and that's just where I was heading.
Pushed forward off the centre stand, giving the fat fuck one last look as the bike roared off to the right.
Well, I roared off straight ahead didn't I, over the handle bars, kicking and cracking the RS perspex with my right boot on the way over.
I was taking the hugest steps I've ever taken with my heavy boots doing circles over my head I reckon, my arms flailing about trying to keep some sort of balance and not go arse over head.

I was heading straight for the fat fuck, still sitting up there with his arms crossed just watching me.
I regained my composure about twenty feet away from him and with the last flailing of my right arm before coming to a stop, defiantly raised my index finger to him and said "The one fuckin' time I use the stupid fuckin' steering lock"!

I turned around and walked back way over to where the bike was laying on its side, picked it up, turned the ignition off, got the key out and unlocked the stupid fuckin' steering lock.

Yeah, fuckin sounds all right don't it fat harley dude.........as I roared off with my cracked perspex flappin' in the wind.

I don't lock my RS. Perspex is too expensive.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #14
Darryl's bmw
Darby

Oddometer: 102
In the 27 years I have owned my 1977 R100RS I have never felt the need to use the steering lock. In fact I leave the key in most of the time!

I only ever remember one BMW being stolen.
Darryl's bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #15
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 772
If you break your key off in the steering lock, it's no big deal. Just carry a screw driver to operate the lock and just leave the broken key in there. No theif is going to bother to look.

All a steering lock does is keep the honest people honest or stop some fool from moving your bike so they can get their car in your spot. No amount of locking or alarm is going to stop someone who is intent on getting your bike.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote