User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
svejkovat OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Your "Ghetto" repairs? Pics especially.

There's a "macgyver" thread or two here, but that suggests some level of cunning and professionalism. So how about some of your best 'ghetto' repairs (or 'redneck' if you're uncomfortable with that).

Noticed this one the other day
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=54047

Some funny crap in there. I love this stuff but ironically I have little of my own to offer. I'm that irritating bastard that just HAS to take four hours out of my day and drive sixty miles out of my way to get the RIGHT g'd'amn part. Not proud of that really.

svejkovat screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 08:32 AM
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 361
I don't have any 'repairs' per say, but I do have a few DIY things to save money or because they simply don't make what I'm looking for.

I wanted an oil temperature gauge for my XR650L. They're $50 shipped to my house, aren't digital, etc. Blah.

What'd I do? Get the same size bolt for the dipstick, cut it in half, drilled a hole through it and got a high temperature digital meat thermometer. Some JB weld to keep it in place, and an O-Ring on the thread, and poof. Now I can tell the temperature of my bike's oil at all time.

It also tells me when my pig's done!

Pics can be found in the thumpers > XRL owners sign in thread.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Treedguy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935

I love the wood stove!
Treedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
Does it count if all four of my blinkers are held on right now by a combination of electrical tape, wire, and chopsticks?
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
tucsondude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
hmm i forgot. who is our residential muffler builder? I think he has atleast 5 threads of different hacks.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
JimR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Was under my first car (circa1980), a 1963 VW Type 1, surveying the the rusted floor, saw a pair a of ViceGrips I thought some mechanic had left under there, unhooked and went into the house for a sandwich admiring my new tool acquisition. An hour later I went to drive the car to work...NO CLUTCH!!!! That's right, some where down the line someone used ViseGrips to hold the clutch cable to the release arm. Brilliant! Regards, Jim.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Hey that reminds me of when I was a kid in the early 80's. My dad had a bobtail delivery truck, probably an old u-haul and the side mirror was held on with vice grips. Had been there so long, they were painted white just like the truck... I remember thinking that was the coolest thing about that truck. Thanks for the memory.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Way back in the 1960's I had a '52 Ford with a '55 Buick 322 nailhead engine. Car had some rusted areas, and me not having much money, the rust stayed. Anyway, the mounting screw attachment at the bottom of the left headlight had rusted away, so I took a 1/4" x ~1" square-head bolt and lightly hammered it in at the bottom--between the rim and the metal trim piece that touches the headlight.

Worked great, never had a problem with it, except for one---an asshat New Jersey motor vehicle inspector. Dickhead spotted the bolthead, which didn't actually cover any part of the glass, and failed me for "obstructed headlight". Fortunately he wrote it in pencil on the "Guess what, you just failed the NJ MVD inspection-ha ha" form.

After erasing the offensive words, I simply wrote "Glass" instead. Few days later I drove to a different insp. station, and pointed to the now very clean pass. side window at the request, "Which window?".

Another time, later, when I had more bucks, they failed my '65 Vette convertible for having a translucent (via UV/sunlight) rather than transparent rear plastic window. Unfortunately this time the dickhead used a pen. So, what to do--I mean, the car had side mirrors, right? So I did the proper KLR thing and removed the entire conv. top.

MVD inspector had a fit when I returned a few days later. Told him I threw the whole top in the garbage, and I only drove the Vette on nice days. Told me he was going to fail me again, so I said do it and I'll sue the crap out of this stupid state. That made him think a bit, so he didn't fail me but he yelled "Check this car close" to his fellow drones down the line.

They couldn't find anything to fail me, so I was finally rewarded with a valid windshield sticker--good for a year. As I pulled out of the station, I yelled "assholes" as loud as I could. I was SO glad to leave that stupid state years later.

The '52 Ford. Unfortunately the offensive bolt isn't visible in the photo.

Benesesso screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 09:15 AM
Benesesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
Spoke
semi-feral teen

Oddometer: 777
No pics but some 30 odd years ago I used dental floss as a hand pulled throttle cable on my VW bug

It entered my blood in 1970 on a Honda QA50
Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #10
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,553
Over 30 years ago but it is all I have. I broke the shifter off in a crash and riding a 125 two stroke 15 miles home without a shifter really wasn't an option. So I found some bailing wire in a trash dump, did this and it got me home.

Well there was this, but it wasn't my bike anymore. I love this picture since it ain't me (for once).

Old 05-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Well there was this, but it wasn't my bike anymore. I love this picture since it ain't me (for once).

[/QUOTE]

That's a peculiar place to press in linkage bearings, I bet there's plenty of slick mud around to pack the bearings with too.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
No pics but some 30 odd years ago I used dental floss as a hand pulled throttle cable on my VW bug
You get a grade of B-.

To get an A, you have to run a string from the throttle, through a hole punched in the firewall (Baja Bug, no back seat), and connect it to the raised non-functioning e-brake lever just below the grip.

Throttle LEVER!
Push down for Go.

We christened it the "String Driven Thing", after the band.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_Driven_Thing

"Circus" .
Great song!!

Otis

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,578
Headlight on my R1200ST after a 50mph impact with a pickup-truck.

10K miles later and it is still holding and not leaking.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #14
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
That's a peculiar place to press in linkage bearings, I bet there's plenty of slick mud around to pack the bearings with too.

Tech23
He bent the dogbone link into an "L". Probably because I didn't tighten enough after rebuilding the suspension when I owned the bike.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #15
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,251
Clutch, who needs a stinking clutch?

Broke a clutch cable on an old VW Bug on a Sunday 500 miles from home, what to do?

Good new was there were no clutch safety switches back then, so hit the starter in 1st and it jerked forward and started and kept going. Matched RPMs to upshift, and revved in neutral to match on a downshift, decent synchros helped. Slowed to a crawl going towards red lights and crept along till it changed, another time did circles around a gas station waiting for a light to change.

Made it home without a real problem.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote