User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
GravityDT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Real world KTM 350 EXC impressions?

Anyone on one of the new 2012 KTM 350 EXC or XCW-F yet? Curious how it'll shape up as a lightweight DS/Adv rig vs something like a WRR... Not looking to load it up for week plus adventures. Max would be a GiantLoop bag for the lightweight overnighter

Currently own a 640 Adv which really hasn't been getting used they way it was meant for. With 2 small kids and a busy work schedule my riding has been much more local with 60-80 mile FS road daytours. With a ton of tight/twisty high Alpine single track only 4-5 miles from the house my 200 XCW has been seeing a large amount of my limited ride time.

If I sold off the herd and replaced the 2 bikes with a single bike would the 350 be the one? I'm looking for more of a single track friendly DS bike that'll still do OK on the slab for the occasional 50-100miles max speed 60-65. I know the larger 500 would be more suited for that but I'm concerned the 500 might be a bit much on the tight/technical singletrack. Am I on the right track by looking at either the 350 EXC or XCW(would plate it)

Thoughts?
GravityDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
techno boy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
just did a 500 mile tx hill country ride on the 350 exc this past wk end.Can say the bike is the best ive tried on that ride,which includes a 950 se,a wr250r and a 1200gs.Exc cruses 65 very smoothly, will go on up to 80 easily.The only complaint is it popes on decel which tells me its super lean.other than that its a light weight dream.
techno boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
DocRogers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Haven't tried one - afraid I'll like it too much.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
I know it is way too early to have any significant data, but I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what sort of maintenance experience we hear about from people who are using this bike as dual sport/trailbike.

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 730
I road my 350 about 40-50 miles of single track, and same mileage on FS type roads last weekend. Same blackdog DS route I road with my wrr last year. The 350 power and suspension jump right out as the biggest advantages. Felt a lot more solid and stable at speed on the rutted and rocky sections. The bike can just flat out blast on technical terrain. It wants to go faster as the conditions get worse. Although the wrr does well, there really is no comparison when riding the real nasty stuff. Also nice to be able to blip the throttle and loft the front wheel over a tree or water filled hole, etc. I geared mine at 14/48 w/116 link chain (stock is 15/45, 114 links), which still felt a bit tall for the tight single track. Found myself going into 1st in some sections, would prefer to stay in 2nd. But this gearing felt about right for the FS roads. This is compromise gearing...

Comfort? Like all previous years with KTM, a seat upgrade is a must do mod. I installed the seatconcepts kit with carbon fiber fabric top and sides, it's much more comfortable (and cheaper) than the Renazco on my wrr. Although, looks wise the Renazco really is a work of art. Also the engine vibs are more noticeable on the 350 as your riding roads, so comfort wise not as good as the wrr.

For now, I'm still keeping my little wrr as a reliable, no fuss, long mileage bike. Different mission statement than the 350. I will not hesitate taking the wrr on a 7+ day multi-state off-road tour. The jury is still out as to the reliability of 350. Soon as the snow melts off in the north cascades, I'm going to put the 350 to a test with a 1000mi wbdr ride. It's close to home so much less risky than a TAT ride thru NV. I did this same route last year on wrr so will be interesting to compare.

Here's some pics to ponder w/many adv type mods. Acerbis just released their 5.1gal tank, but I may wait till the Safari 15L comes out this summer to install the bigger tank.

all hdb and sicass in the cockpit, with scotts submount

installed bright 5w led headlight bulb into factory receiver to save on stator output
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
dvwalker
Working to ride

I'll add that choosing the 350 over the 500 was the right choice for me. I owed a crf450x for many years, which has similar raw power to the 500. For my style of riding, the 500 has to much throttle for a full day of riding the tight trails. I can ride much longer, smoother and safer on the smaller hp bike.

dvwalker screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 05:19 AM
Old 05-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
Jeezus, that is one of the worst looking seats I've ever seen. It's... just... so... poorly shaped.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Jeezus, that is one of the worst looking seats I've ever seen. It's... just... so... poorly shaped.
No kidding, the thing looks like an afterthought! Still, I've never ridden a KTM that I could stand the stock seat on anyway. Too bad you can't just get the bikes with a bare seat pan.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Only thing worse than a stock KTM seat is an Acerbix X-Seat. It's super rugged and is fine for aggressive trailriding, but is absolutely b-b-b-b-b-brutal if you spend much (any) time actually sitting down. Having Renazco build a new seat for me right now.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Having Renazco build a new seat for me right now.
Can't say enough about the Renazco's. Got them on both my KTM's and had em on my DRZ and WR450 as well. I've done a 500 mile day on my 690 and my butt didn't bother me at all.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

BTW, what kind of prices are people seeing for the 350's?
Old 05-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #12
dvwalker
Working to ride

that's the KTM seat pan basically with more foam and a new cover. Agree it's a bit on the fugly side, I needed a tall but it's very functional. I also love my Renazco seat on my other bike, like I said a work of art. But the seatconcepts is definitely more comfortable, third the cost and available within a week after order.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
So what would you change?

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
TrailCruiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
This bike makes a lot of sense to me, dvwalker thanks for the review and insight. No question it would work on the trails and dirt, but how bad is it on the roads? I see you live in the NW, me too. I'm in Yakima and need to ride 20-60 miles to get to the FS roads and trails. BTW, I'm planning on the Blackdog too with my KLR unless I can figure out how to upgrade before then -- not much time though.
TrailCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy View Post
So what would you change?

Bundy
Understand that ergonomics will dictate geometry to a certain extent, but there's no reason why it has to look like a piece of cut liver. Takes a bit of work/skill to shape something with nice, crisp lines though, and maybe that's why they're so cheap?