Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #391
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
By the looks of the suspension it appears you were carrying some pretty good speed riding 2-up through that corner.

I'm impressed

Jon...
Ah ... looks to me like he's carrying a "pretty good load" on too soft springs.
Man, that thing is about bottomed out. Keep right on riding ... head to Cogent in North Carolina!

And Clock ... buy your S.O. some decent riding boots. You just have to see a few broken Tibia bones up close to get this message. ATGATT !
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #392
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Ah ... looks to me like he's carrying a "pretty good load" on too soft springs.
Man, that thing is about bottomed out. Keep right on riding ... head to Cogent in North Carolina!
Quote:
Originally Posted by clocklaw View Post
Also, the suspension was carrying a heavy rider and my wife!
As for Cogent...if you're buying...I'm there!

Quote:
And Clock ... buy your S.O. some decent riding boots. You just have to see a few broken Tibia bones up close to get this message. ATGATT !
We've been looking everywhere to find a EEE in a woman's riding boot....
clocklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #393
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
As for Cogent...if you're buying...I'm there!
Yea ... it's only money. Do what you can, stay safe out there!
Uh, how much are boots again? BTW, I don't think Women's MC boots have choice of width.

I had something similar to this ... All toll cost $200,000 back in 1997 (six surgeries, year and a half recovery). My orthopedic friends claim it would now run up to about $750,000 for the same procedure today. I had good insurance. Now? Not so much.

I hear they can make the Ilizarof fixator for any size foot ... even a EEE!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #394
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
Get her men's or boys boots. It's about the protection, not the style.

Just got Write2ride a pair of Alpinestar WP Scouts, mens size 6 fits her womens size 7 1/2 perfectly and mens sizes tend to be wider. The most expensive boot out there, even if you have to get a pair custom made for her, is still cheaper than one Emergency Room visit, let alone a major injury.

Not beating you up, I understand how difficult it is to get them something that fits, offers good protection, and that they are happy with. I got fortunate that Write2ride thinks off road boots are sexy, and I have to kind of agree with her!

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #395
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yea ... it's only money. Do what you can, stay safe out there!
Uh, how much are boots again? BTW, I don't think Women's MC boots have choice of width.
Wow Grifter....you really can go back and read my post again...never mentioned the cost of boots once....when I find a pair I can get her damn foot in I will own them, no matter what the cost. Very simply, she can fit my size 10 mens but they aren't going to help her in a go-down....it's sort of like the jacket she is wearing in the picture. She's lost 100 lbs since last riding season and the jackets was too loose...so we made sure to make it over to Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters and she got a new one this weekend that fits.

Maybe I misunderstood your post and Cogent now makes riding boots??????
Old 05-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #396
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
Just got Write2ride a pair of Alpinestar WP Scouts, mens size 6 fits her womens size 7 1/2 perfectly and mens sizes tend to be wider. The most expensive boot out there, even if you have to get a pair custom made for her, is still cheaper than one Emergency Room visit, let alone a major injury.

Not beating you up, I understand how difficult it is to get them something that fits, offers good protection, and that they are happy with. I got fortunate that Write2ride thinks off road boots are sexy, and I have to kind of agree with her!

Tim
I've been working with my girl Brittany to try to find something that would fit her....where can I get something "custom made" for her????? You're all preaching to the choir here, I am ATGATT serious! If you want to help Grifter, quit posting horror pics and give me some info on where I can have some custom made (that will provide legitimate protection) to fit Fred Flintstone.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #397
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Good luck with that. I can't even find EEE or even EE in men's riding boots. So I use my Danner Fort Lewis 10" boots. I've had them since 1999 so I think I got my money's worth Of course they do not have the ankle protection a motorcycle boot has but at least they are a heavy leather boot.

They might have something that would work for her.

http://www.danner.com/boots/

Jon...
Old 05-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #398
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 353
New/old panniers

oops wrong thread
'71 SL 350 - Honda

drdubb screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 09:45 AM Reason: posted in wrong thread
drdubb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #399
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Good luck with that. I can't even find EEE or even EE in men's riding boots. So I use my Danner Fort Lewis 10" boots. I've had them since 1999 so I think I got my money's worth Of course they do not have the ankle protection a motorcycle boot has but at least they are a heavy leather boot.

Jon...
Thanks for the link...I will check them out. She already has (and wears) over the ankle hiking boots...that's what she had on in the picture. They help but they aren't perfect.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #400
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
I've been working with my girl Brittany to try to find something that would fit her....where can I get something "custom made" for her????? You're all preaching to the choir here, I am ATGATT serious! If you want to help Grifter, quit posting horror pics and give me some info on where I can have some custom made (that will provide legitimate protection) to fit Fred Flintstone.
sorry for the ugly pics. My bad. Good to see you're thinking about finding something better.

When I was in England I ran across a boot company everyone raved about.
Altberg. I believe they still make boots Custom, to size. I would contact them to find out. They have a very good reputation in the UK and Europe. Virtually unknown in the USA. I visited their stand at a big MC Show while in the UK. Really nice product, as good or better than any boot I've seen.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/motorcycle.jsp

Ride safe in the meantime.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #401
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
sorry for the ugly pics. My bad. Good to see you're thinking about finding something better.

Ride safe in the meantime.
Do you know the story behind your gory pic? Was this a bike injury or just an example of what could happen? I have been thinking about getting some low bike boots like the 50-50's or something but the injury on your pic was a bit higher then a low boot would be if this was a bike related injury?
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #402
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-til-sore! View Post
Do you know the story behind your gory pic? Was this a bike injury or just an example of what could happen? I have been thinking about getting some low bike boots like the 50-50's or something but the injury on your pic was a bit higher then a low boot would be if this was a bike related injury?
Not to veer too far off the DR touring topic ... but YES ... that was a motorcycle accident. I posted it because it was similar to my own injury. I did not have to have an Ilizarof, which is THE last resort before amputation. It is a nightmare procedure, loaded with problems and complications. But I did have a doozy of an accident.

I'm not a fan of low boots. You need Tibia protection. Very common injury. A good Tibia guard in a boot is a good thing! The guy in the gory pic was most likely wearing Tennis shoes.

Wear the best gear you can afford! Ride safe ... and never fly faster than your Angel can fly!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #403
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Not to veer too far off the DR touring topic ... but YES ... that was a motorcycle accident. I posted it because it was similar to my own injury. I did not have to have an Ilizarof, which is THE last resort before amputation. It is a nightmare procedure, loaded with problems and complications. But I did have a doozy of an accident.

I'm not a fan of low boots. You need Tibia protection. Very common injury. A good Tibia guard in a boot is a good thing! The guy in the gory pic was most likely wearing Tennis shoes.

Wear the best gear you can afford! Ride safe ... and never fly faster than your Angel can fly!
Thanks Tour on!
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #404
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:

Jon...
They make "cruiser boots" in that size. http://www.mmccleather.com/motorcycl...cle-boots.html

Gaerne are known or being wide, like the SG10's. I've found the Tech 3 mx boots fairly roomy.

sagedrifter screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 05:07 PM
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #405
AirborneAndy
Vagabond

Oddometer: 493
OOooooch! I wear off-road boots whenever I go on a long trip. After seeing that leg injury pic, I might start wearing them all the time.

On the topic of highway manners on the DR, my mods are like most others here: 16 tooth CS, foam grips, Corbin seat. I dont use a wind screen at all and I've done some really long days on pavement, once over 1000 miles. But, now I have a Baja Designs 8" racing light and it's frame lends itself as a great mount point for my bedroll, which acts as a windscreen and really makes for a pleasant ride. I prefer the softbags laid across the seat too, It keeps the weight centered better than having all the weight over the rear wheel. When I hit the dirt sometimes I forget that Im carrying a bunch of stuff til I stop and realize I lost something

The book - Excuse me, which way is the Baja 1000?

AirborneAndy is offline   Reply With Quote