Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #1756
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
Ducati only builds twins for street use, so the whole L-4 motor is not part of their history. I would hope that being competitive is more important than the engine architecture to the majority of the Ducatisti.

Just another reason why I question why Ducati is in MotoGP.
Harley doesn't race much anymore, either. I can see it now, a pushrod aircooled twin in a carbon frame!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #1757
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Kropotkin seems to think it is more about money and resources to built a narrow V than it is about tradition. Or at least that is what I take away from his comments.

I will be surprised if we see a narrow V from them this year. But it would be a welcome surprise.

Rossi was still 28 seconds down on the race winner at Estoril, the same distance they have been all year.

The problem with Hayden's bike seems almost inexcusable the more I think about it.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #1758
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Harley doesn't race much anymore, either. I can see it now, a pushrod aircooled twin in a carbon frame!
You can't be all things to all people, and it is best to stay with your strengths. WSBK is a great stage for Ducati, and I'd imagine the budget required to be competitive there is several times smaller than in MotoGP.

And H-D is still the king of the dirt tracks (although Ducati has also recently gotten a win in that series).
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #1759
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,691
HD was into road racing with the stockers, I remember seeing these new brothers, yup the Bostrom brothers racing in the AMA HD series a "few" years back
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #1760
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,265

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #1761
mdubya
Right Brigade

Ouch.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #1762
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,265
Yeah, Cal tweeted that pic, eeeesh.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #1763
Florin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Rossi was still 28 seconds down on the race winner at Estoril, the same distance they have been all year.
Last year they were 16 seconds behind. This year 27 seconds behind. They could not close a 16 second gap and they are going to close a 27 one?

People seem to ignore that Honda and Yamaha keep developing their bikes.

Last year in Estoril, Rossi had an average speed of 152.3 km/h. This year he had an average speed of 152.5 km/h. And that's more. It's an improvement. The problem is that Pedrosa had an average speed last year of 153.2 km/h and he won. This year he got 3rd with 153.8 km/h.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #1764
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florin View Post
Last year they were 16 seconds behind. This year 27 seconds behind. They could not close a 16 second gap and they are going to close a 27 one?

People seem to ignore that Honda and Yamaha keep developing their bikes.

Last year in Estoril, Rossi had an average speed of 152.3 km/h. This year he had an average speed of 152.5 km/h. And that's more. It's an improvement. The problem is that Pedrosa had an average speed last year of 153.2 km/h and he won. This year he got 3rd with 153.8 km/h.
Good point! Ducati's problems are due in part to two things:

1. What ducati is doing wrong
2. What the others are doing right

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #1765
SGrider
376 miles to Chicago

Oddometer: 1,007
Rossi has the best prototype for Ducati to copy sitting in his bedroom, all they have to do is roll it into Ducati Corse and reverse engineer the M1.
SGrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #1766
mdubya
Right Brigade

My problem with Preziosi is, he doesn't seem to understand what it takes to build...not a fast bike....but a bike that can be ridden fast. He always wants to put these fire breathing beasts under the riders and that riders are, like, WTF!!!

Remember Nicky's comment when he first rode the Duc? "I don't know how much they are paying Casey, but it ain't enough."

A bike needs to be a giant pussy cat that purrs when you stroke it, not some raging beast that tries to bite you in the ass at every turn, every input. They need a bike their riders can ride the wheels off of, not one they hang onto white knuckled, and for dear life.

Carlo Pernat has suggested they beg Casey to come back and to offer him a giant sack of cash to do so.

I would love to hear a Colin Edwards' review of a test ride on the Duc. They would get an (valuable) earful.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #1767
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,806
Quote:
My problem with Preziosi is, he doesn't seem to understand what it takes to build...not a fast bike....but a bike that can be ridden fast. He always wants to put these fire breathing beasts under the riders and that riders are, like, WTF!!!

Remember Nicky's comment when he first rode the Duc? "I don't know how much they are paying Casey, but it ain't enough."

A bike needs to be a giant pussy cat that purrs when you stroke it, not some raging beast that tries to bite you in the ass at every turn, every input. They need a bike their riders can ride the wheels off of, not one they hang onto white knuckled, and for dear life.

Carlo Pernat has suggested they beg Casey to come back and to offer him a giant sack of cash to do so.

I would love to hear a Colin Edwards' review of a test ride on the Duc. They would get an (valuable) earful.
and what do you do when your pussy cat of a bike is still 27 seconds behind?
Old 05-09-2012, 05:02 AM   #1768
okiegtrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post

That's funny stuff
okiegtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #1769
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,386
Quote:
My problem with Preziosi is, he doesn't seem to understand what it takes to build...not a fast bike....but a bike that can be ridden fast. He always wants to put these fire breathing beasts under the riders and that riders are, like, WTF!!! ...

The ironic thing is that used to be exactly the mindset of the Japanese factories.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #1770
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Classic Italian passion over all else: The angle of the engine has (to date) been off the table, because some feel "it's not a Ducati if it's not 90deg."...
Results influence passion- just takes a while. For a very long time Ducati Superbikes had to have a single sided swingarm, undertail exhausts, trellis frame, as well as the L twin. That started to change with the 999 and now the Panigale just retains the engine angle. Granted, the engine is probably the strongest association with Ducati- but as a V/L twin. The MotoGP bike already broke with the twin part, so the angle should be less critical in that class.

But as Motorcyclist said- it is kind of puzzling why Ducati is even in MotoGP. Don't get me wrong- I'm glad they're in it (painful as it is- hope springs eternal); just hard to figure that they're learning enough to make it worthwhile with the current economic situation. From the looks on people's faces, it sure doesn't seem like it's to have fun.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote