Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #61
wncbmw
nOOb in post count only

Oddometer: 73
While I can't help the OP with a look at the gear unless he drops by western NC sometime soon, I would like to put in my 2 cents on the gear. I have had the Kevlar mesh overpants for some time and was happy with them but last year during the group buy bought a set of stretch Kevlar jeans and have nothing but praise for them. The fit was perfect (using my favorite Wranglers as a guide). I bought them as warm weather pants and was happy to find that they worked well all summer in the heat. The mesh overpants have been relegated to commuter and dual sport use.

But the proof I had made a good decision was my 35 mph low side on a gravel and sandy road last July. Getting up, I saw a nickel sized hole in the fabric of the pants but no damage visible to the armor. I was disappointed until I saw how skinned up my Vanson jacket was also! I was completely unscathed and was not even sore the next day! The hole apparently was made by my knee hitting a rock, making a small indentation in the armor. My knee never felt it. My cargo pocket got damaged from my money clip sliding on the asphalt.

I had considered BMW gear but decided to go with something that could easily repaired. When I sent it back to Wayne, I got three options and decided to go with covering the entire lower leg with mesh fabric for a different look and the pocket replaced. Sent the pants off, got them back in less than two weeks.

I am happy enough that I hope to buy a stretch Kevlar Marathon jacket before too long!

As too the Wayne versus Ricky contest, I have clients that think I am the greatest. And some (lots fewer I hope!) that thought I was an idiot. The wonders of the internet amplifies any unhappy customers complaints. I am a happy customer.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #62
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncbmw View Post
The hole apparently was made by my knee hitting a rock, making a small indentation in the armor. My knee never felt it.
Curious if this is the Tri Armor or the Quad?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #63
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,060
I'm curious what it cost to fix it up? Was it mostly for cosmetic reasons you had it fixed?

As I ride to work today and look at the hundreds of other riders around me in flip flops and tank tops it puts this argument of motoport vs brand X back into a more proper perspective. My complaint/point is actually really small; I don't believe Wayne's website claims that his is the best for the money. I think you could get as good/better protection for less money. I think you could get as good or better fit from just trying on off the rack clothes... WHATEVER! I'm proud of y'all for wearing ATGATT and valuing it enough to spend good money on it! Way to go!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #64
carockwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Where could you get protection as good as Motoport at any price?
carockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:09 AM   #65
MickB72
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Murphy's law.

Well this morning I couldn't comment on on what the gear is like to crash with.
Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. I had a small low speed off today hitting gravel in a turn, and I can say I never felt I thing. In my two previous offs (astars gear with hard amour) I was very much aware of the landing.
I hope I don't ever need to do a more thorough test, but I am amazed that I felt nothing.

I am now an even happier customer.
MickB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #66
DFWBo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
glad you are ok

Stay safe
DFWBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #67
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I'm curious what it cost to fix it up? Was it mostly for cosmetic reasons you had it fixed?

As I ride to work today and look at the hundreds of other riders around me in flip flops and tank tops it puts this argument of motoport vs brand X back into a more proper perspective. My complaint/point is actually really small; I don't believe Wayne's website claims that his is the best for the money. I think you could get as good/better protection for less money. I think you could get as good or better fit from just trying on off the rack clothes... WHATEVER! I'm proud of y'all for wearing ATGATT and valuing it enough to spend good money on it! Way to go!
Can you please just stop now? Anyone that is not catatonic clearly understands all of your points, as you have repeated them incessantly in this thread and several others. I am sure that anyone considering purchasing Motoport gear appreciates your input, but they will find it when they search . We get it. Can we move on now?
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #68
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Mike View Post
I've heard there's this display at the Smithsonian...
It's no wonder people choose to buy their Rukka from someone other than you.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #69
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
Can you please just stop now? Anyone that is not catatonic clearly understands all of your points, as you have repeated them incessantly in this thread and several others. I am sure that anyone considering purchasing Motoport gear appreciates your input, but they will find it when they search . We get it. Can we move on now?

No sssevy... but you can go to a different forum
Old 05-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #70
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
Here,here....word!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #71
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
here,here....word!.
+2
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #72
wncbmw
nOOb in post count only

Jim Williams - it was Tri Armor. Worked well apparently!

Ricky - $5 to put a patch over the nickel sized hole; $29 for an extra layer of stretch kevlar over both knees and $49 for mesh over both knees. And I suppose it was mostly for cosmetic reasons, although I wasn't too concerned about since I finished out the warm weather riding season before I sent them back.

I am pleased with the results and doubt I could have gotten a BMW or Revit outfit patched as cheaply or as well.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #73
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncbmw View Post
Jim Williams - it was Tri Armor. Worked well apparently!

Ricky - $5 to put a patch over the nickel sized hole; $29 for an extra layer of stretch kevlar over both knees and $49 for mesh over both knees. And I suppose it was mostly for cosmetic reasons, although I wasn't too concerned about since I finished out the warm weather riding season before I sent them back.

I am pleased with the results and doubt I could have gotten a BMW or Revit outfit patched as cheaply or as well.

I'm impressed with the price - that's good! So do you have 3 layers on your knees now?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #74
wncbmw
nOOb in post count only

Nope, just 2.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #75
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob View Post