ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
Shocktower OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Shocktower's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Oregon City Orygun
Oddometer: 9,391
Changing carbs and installing a injector nozzle

I got my sweet new flat slide carbs the other day, but they do not have a port for the oil injector nozzle, so I got brave and drille and installed them. I was very apprehinsive, about this so I really though about how to do it. So here is how I did it, I drilled a hole just big enough to press the nozzle in, and put some 2 part steel putty around it and pressed it in sealing the thing.
I added the putty because there was not enough metal to support the stock nozzle, now it is rock solid .
Attached Images
 
__________________
Alexa Drew Nov 9 1995- Oct 28th 2004 Miss you baby


'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
King_Troll68
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Central Canada
Oddometer: 12
Have you tried this carb on the bike? Did it work?
King_Troll68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
buelless
Gnarly Adventurer
 
buelless's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Evans, GA
Oddometer: 267
I would have teed it into the fuel line right before the fuel line attaches to the carb. It will mix with the gas better there, imo. Good luck and hope your new carb works out for you.
buelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
JonnyCash
turd polisher
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Midcoast, Maine
Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by buelless View Post
I would have teed it into the fuel line right before the fuel line attaches to the carb. It will mix with the gas better there, imo. Good luck and hope your new carb works out for you.
It doesn't work like that, sir! Shocktower, I think that will work fine. Just keep an eye on it to see that the nipples stay tight in the carbs. I once had an oil nipple like that fall out while riding. I looked down and my boot was covered with oil, quite a bit! The nipple had fallen out. I stuck it back in, and everything was fine. I can't believe I didn't wreck the engine, but it didn't. I have since epoxied them in place to keep it from happening again. Someday I'd like to get flat slides. Have you gotten to ride this thing yet?
__________________
I wouldn't bring her home to Mama, but Mama ain't home tonight.
JonnyCash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Shocktower OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Shocktower's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Oregon City Orygun
Oddometer: 9,391
I am still fittling with it, I have a few more things to do, I used JB stick ( it is Epoxy ) to secure the Nozzles to the carbs, I am still aprehinsive about them falling off too.
Yeah the inline through he gas lines sounds cool, but the old ones had it just like that, so why try something new.

I should have it running next week, just finishing things up
__________________
Alexa Drew Nov 9 1995- Oct 28th 2004 Miss you baby


'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
buelless
Gnarly Adventurer
 
buelless's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Evans, GA
Oddometer: 267
Back in the 60s and 70s we use to add a little 2t oil to the fuel in the gas tank as backup since there was a chance of aerating the oil in the injector system from vibrations, rough terrain, etc... Anyway, best of luck with your bike.
buelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
Ever Onward
Time Killer
 
Ever Onward's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Past the point of no return
Oddometer: 672
With the injector nozzle on the carb, downstream of the venturi, its able to respond instantly to demand needs.

The Yamaha system is a combination of engine RPM and throttle position that determines the amount injected at any given moment.

If you were to tie it into the fuel supply to the carb bowl, you would end up overall averageing the oil/fuel ratio in that bowls worth of fuel if you were useing a combination of low and slow and full throttle high RPM's.

If, say, you were to idle along at a very low amount of throttle position for a while, you may end up with maybe 70 to 1 mix in the bowl. Then you suddenly nail it full throttle for a mile. You would be under full load at 70 to 1 till you got to the next bowl of fuel.

Then if you went back to idleing, you may have 20 to one fuel to ride around on for some time.
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Shocktower OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Shocktower's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Oregon City Orygun
Oddometer: 9,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
With the injector nozzle on the carb, downstream of the venturi, its able to respond instantly to demand needs.

The Yamaha system is a combination of engine RPM and throttle position that determines the amount injected at any given moment.

If you were to tie it into the fuel supply to the carb bowl, you would end up overall averageing the oil/fuel ratio in that bowls worth of fuel if you were useing a combination of low and slow and full throttle high RPM's.

If, say, you were to idle along at a very low amount of throttle position for a while, you may end up with maybe 70 to 1 mix in the bowl. Then you suddenly nail it full throttle for a mile. You would be under full load at 70 to 1 till you got to the next bowl of fuel.

Then if you went back to idleing, you may have 20 to one fuel to ride around on for some time.

No bueno I will just stick with my set-up proven by Yamaha , now I just have better carbs

BTW thank you for all the input
__________________
Alexa Drew Nov 9 1995- Oct 28th 2004 Miss you baby


'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
buelless
Gnarly Adventurer
 
buelless's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Evans, GA
Oddometer: 267
After a little more thought and some web search, probably the biggest issue would be the affect on air/fuel ratio due to the changing amounts of oil being injected for various throttle positions. The more oil in the fuel, the leaner the A/F ratio. just my 0.02

oh yeah, make sure you use a good quality oil intended for oil injection systems, not pre-mix oil...
buelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
Shocktower OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Shocktower's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Oregon City Orygun
Oddometer: 9,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by buelless View Post
After a little more thought and some web search, probably the biggest issue would be the affect on air/fuel ratio due to the changing amounts of oil being injected for various throttle positions. The more oil in the fuel, the leaner the A/F ratio. just my 0.02

It is so little, and proven by Yamaha so why change it if it is no broken , But I am a little skeert to start this beast, I probably will, this weekend
__________________
Alexa Drew Nov 9 1995- Oct 28th 2004 Miss you baby


'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
Ever Onward
Time Killer
 
Ever Onward's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Past the point of no return
Oddometer: 672
Agreed, the yamaha system is just fine. As a matter of fact, we ran it as stock plus 100 to one premix in the gas tank as a little extra safety endurance racing RD's back in the day.......no problems with lube ever.

Be sure to bleed all air outta the injection system and bleed the injector pump good, double check your oil pump cable setting too.

I used to run a little oil in the gas as premix for the first quart of fuel too.......maybe 70 to one.


Not a bad idea to use non synthetic oil at first for break in before switching over to synthetic later.
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014