Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
DARKWOLF OP
nOOB

Oddometer: 25
battle of the bikes in my mind. your help is needed!

time for a new bike

Story goes like this. 2006, bought 600F4I new and shinny with 3my miles. 4 years later and over 30,000 miles I am more in love with riding then when I started. Early may 2010 I find myself laying on my back in the middle of the street. And suddenly without a bike. March 2011and got a XR650L. And after a lone ride of two hours on the interstate I realized that it wasn't the same. It became very apparent that I wasn't going to do any 3000 mile trips on this bike.

Well it is time to get a new bike. And 3 have caught my eye. First the BMW r1200gs-a. 2ND the BMW r1200rt. And the third Honda VFR 1200F.

I am posting this on both the VFR and BMW threads. I am very interested in your opinions. I am searching for things like fuel economy and range, things you don't like, ease of maintenance,(like can you do your own oil changes) , what type of luggage you used, what modifications you made, and what type of riding you do.

Thanks guys and gals..

"It's never a waste of money if its done on a bike", me.

HONDA XR650L 07
HONDA CBR600F4I 06, R.I.P.- 33,000 MI.
DARKWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 578
I just did 2400 mile trek from FL to TX and back. Rode with a fellow inmate who was on his K1200LT, he had much more wind protection, the GSA windshield will let you get beat up behind semis however the ADV tank does block a lot. The major downside to his LT was his 180 mile range, whereas I had close to 300 miles per tank. MPG's are 37-42 on the highway depending on your speed with the OEM ADV cases. I came from an R1 to the GSA and glad I did it. I'm happy, it's like a swiss army knife. It can do everything "good" it does no one thing great but it will do just about everything you want. Oil changes are way easier than a sport bike, valve maintenance is also super simple. With it being air/oil cooled and no fairings plus the center stand, it's hard to beat. I go from super slab to commuting, to D/S trails and goofing off in the woods.

SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
L21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
You need one of each. They all have their place on the road. Its like comparing apples and oranges. you need to ask your self what kind of ridding you will like the most street, dirt or both. The GSA will do it all but may be more then you need.
L21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
For long distance riding, few are better than an RT. Comfortable, great weather & wind protection, enough power and excellent handling when the road gets twisty.

That said, I traded my 2004 RT for a 2011 GS last fall and have not looked back. The GS does not have the wind protection of the RT and while very comfortable not quite as much as an RT. Beyond that it does everything else better. It is lighter, more nimble and faster. If you come across an unpaved road that you want to explore it eats it up. I'm really liking my GS.

On MPG the RT and GS get in the low 40s depending on your wrist. My 1150RT got around 240 miles per tank I believe the new ones are close to that. My GS gets thirsty around 200 miles. - Maintenance on R bikes is a breeze.

So it matters what kind of riding you are going to do.

I can't comment much about the Honda. You can be assured a great engine and most likely bullet proof reliability. I've had hondas in years past, great bikes for sure. There is something about a twin though. Ride a GS and see how you like it.

Dan-M screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 02:49 PM
Dan-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,394
VFR1200 or ST1300
Old 05-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
apexal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
I was debating between the GS and the RT. I went to Max's to test ride both. I rode the GS first and never bothered with the RT. And I've never regretted my choice!

2014 R1200GS Racing Red
apexal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
DARKWOLF OP
nOOB

Oddometer: 25
Well I don't know if this has helped yet but it is doing something.
The style of riding I have is one of "sport touring" but given a bike that could go off pavement, that will be added.

Please keep the info coming, what did you do to make your bike better for you and why?

"It's never a waste of money if its done on a bike", me.

HONDA XR650L 07
HONDA CBR600F4I 06, R.I.P.- 33,000 MI.
DARKWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKWOLF View Post
Please keep the info coming, what did you do to make your bike better for you and why?
Tonight I'm changing the leaking outside final drive seal on my 2009 GSA with 13000 miles.
One month out of warranty and the dealer couldn't give a shit.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
isthiscoolenough?
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I don't think you'll be doing 3000 mile trip on a VFR either.

You could do it on the GS and the RT.

The RT has more wind protection, audio, cruise control etc. Handles great. I have owned one for a while and still do.

I recently also bought a GS. Man can't stop thinking about this bike and I got it a month ago. This can also do serious touring and it is so much fun to ride.

With regards to wind protection, get your self the the GSA winglets and a Givi 330 DT windshield. You do not get beat up at all.

Oh yea, did I tell you that I LOVE this bike?
Ken
isthiscoolenough? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #10
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKWOLF View Post
The style of riding I have is one of "sport touring" but given a bike that could go off pavement, that will be added.
I think this statement might be your guidance.

I rode sportbikes and sport-tourers for many, many years, everything from across-the-country rides to lots of backroads exploring (some two up) and corner scratching. Many times while having a blast in the mountains I'd come to a "Pavement Ends" sign, say "crap" and do a U-turn. But on a much more versatile Adventure Tourer platform, now when I see that sign I say "excellent", stand up on the pegs, roll on the throttle and keep going with a big grin on my face. Same when riding two up, except I don't stand up then. These type bikes have added a whole new dimension to my 40 year riding experience, and I don't see me ever going back to a more narrow focused bike as these do everything so well.

Of all the bikes I've ever owned, my 95k mile (and climbing) GSA is the only one I've ever thought of as "the whole enchilada".

Regarding fuel range, I consistently get over 400 miles per tank for everything except higher speed highway blasting with saddlebags installed. Then it'll drop into the 360 to 380 range, and I can live with that.

The primary thing I've done to make the bike better for me: 1. Installed HID lights as I ride extensively in the dark, and 2) Use knobby tires to get the most from the bike and save my butt when riding in mud and gravel.

Good luck with your decision!

jdub screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 04:15 AM
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote