User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #4771
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
First off,

Thanks everyone for your nice comments and for following along on our adventures. Here we are about to embark on our 9th two-week ride. Crazy, right? We've been at this since 2008, and we're pretty dialed in at this point. We don't even need to be sober to pack properly.

M9 will be a lot of uncharted territory. To start we will be following the Tour of ID big-bike friendly T-2 trail, but then it's mostly me cross-referencing various topo maps with GoogleEarth satellite imagery trying to intercept fuel every so often, aiming for the most remote, rugged, isolated and desolate route possible.

Springtime in the desert. Water crossings and wildflowers. Mild days and cool nights. We'll hit few touristy attractions: Crater lake, Bunnyville salt flats, (we watched The World's Fastest Indian to get ready), and the Golden Spike National monument. Honestly, I think this is gonna be another good one on all fronts.

Last call for anyone who might want to run away from home and join the Mobius circus -- PM me your email and I'll send you a .gpx file of our routes and waypoints, and a zip file of a map overlay that traces our route. Between that and our Spot tracker, you should be able to intercept. You know you want to.

On another note, I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce our new corporate sponsor. As you know if you've been following along, we've struggled to maintain adequate sponsorship. With guys like Neduro poaching all the good sponsors like Klim and Layer Cake Wines, there's not much swag left over for humble projects like ours.

When Continental dropped development of the TKC-90 (they blamed us for it's demise), they dropped us too. We never had JiffyLube, and instead had to settle for JiffyPop ("You can taste the adventure!™" ), but they had a bit of a hissy when we used their homogenated palm oil to lubricate our chains and sprockets.

Speaking of chain-oiling systems, we've had issues with one product we tested, and we had to drop French's mustard chain oiling system prototype because the stay-clean cap leaked and was anything but clean. For M9 I'll be implementing my own system that will be neat, simple, cheap, and easy. Details to follow.

So after all these struggles, I'm proud to announce the official corporate sponsor of M9.... drumroll, please:

Their product has proven to be the single best upgrade to any dual-sport, adventure touring, off-road, or dirtbike. EVER. They are proven to increase horsepower, torque, acceleration, top speed, fuel efficiency and braking power. At the same time, they decrease the likelihood of rain, flat tires, and road closures.

As a bonus, they are precisely engineered, light-weight, field-serviceable, exquisitely designed, and stunningly beautiful.

"They totally make life worth living".

Ladies and gentlemen... ...LINK

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #4772
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 780
I've always wondered why the Harley riders were so partial to those things.

Turns out they have been onto something this entire time.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #4773
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 830
I hope when version 2.0 comes out, their annoying propensity to cause riders to forget to cancel their turn signals will be fixed .

On the road Edmonton>Idaho Falls in 3...2...1
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #4774
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaStrom View Post
I hope when version 2.0 comes out, their annoying propensity to cause riders to forget to cancel their turn signals will be fixed .

On the road Edmonton>Idaho Falls in 3...2...1
We'll see. Your very own pair of Anti-hassle™ tassels should be waiting for you. If you arrive before us, don't wait to install them -- it will ensure our flights are on time.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #4775
Vixen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
So after all these struggles, I'm proud to announce the official corporate sponsor of M9.... drumroll, please:

Their product has proven to be the single best upgrade to any dual-sport, adventure touring, off-road, or dirtbike. EVER. They are proven to increase horsepower, torque, acceleration, top speed, fuel efficiency and braking power. At the same time, they decrease the likelihood of rain, flat tires, and road closures.

As a bonus, they are precisely engineered, light-weight, field-serviceable, exquisitely designed, and stunningly beautiful.

"They totally make life worth living".

Ladies and gentlemen... ...LINK

you and LDF are true adventurers, sacrificing yourselves for the good of the adventuring community. I would never install these on any of my bikes, not for the sake of any of the proclaimed benefits. Not in a million years.

But then again, your ride report and photos have convinced me that Alaska is a ride I want to do, so I guess "never say never"

Vixen screwed with this post 05-11-2012 at 09:47 AM
Vixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #4776
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 813
Here we go! :

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #4777
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,322
I guess they're a practical addition but only because they act as bug slappers for your hands, wrists and forearms and everyone knows the mosquitoes are fierce in the spring. Wait, you'll be wearing gloves and long sleeves when riding right?

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #4778
Tn. Walrus
Knuckle Dragger

Oddometer: 303
Doc I'm not sure if you've seen this before, but when you sweet cheeks finally give out here is an option

A guy on ADV had it made by Bill Mayer for his DR-Z400.

Have fun and stay safe!!!

Salus Populi Est Suprema Lex.

IBA# 49285
Tn. Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #4779
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn. Walrus View Post
Doc I'm not sure if you've seen this before, but when you sweet cheeks finally give out here is an option...
Have fun and stay safe!!!
Thanks for the well-wishes. As for the seat... it's the perfect ADV-salute shape! Or am I the only one who see's the resemblance?

Old 05-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #4780
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I wonder...

What AlbertaStrom picked up at Bass Pro?

Ft. McLeod for supper? You can really stalk someone good when they're carrying a Spot, eh?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #4781
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 475
Are you guys going to make it to Montana during this leg? Would be awesome to share a brew and ride some. This weekend's forecast is promising glorious weather!!
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #4782
KI6HNB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Any ideas what days you think you are going to be in CA? I've never been up into the north east corner of the state. Might have to make that trip.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #4783
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasho View Post
Are you guys going to make it to Montana during this leg? Would be awesome to share a brew and ride some. This weekend's forecast is promising glorious weather!!
Montana is on deck for September.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #4784
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI6HNB View Post
Any ideas what days you think you are going to be in CA? I've never been up into the north east corner of the state. Might have to make that trip.
Well, hmmm. We've got about 900miles to Crater Lake, then pavement for a bit 'till we get out of Klamath Falls, then into California. Martin says the T2 across ID takes 2 days. That translates to 3 days for mere mortals. Double that for the OR section at least.

For us to complete the entire route as planned we have to make 155 miles/day, and ride every single day. To earn one day off, we need to do 165miles/day. We'll aim for the 165 miles/day target, but saturday won't be a full day, so I'd say we'll get to Crater Lake maybe by the end of thursday the 17th? Into California sometime friday the 18th or saturday? Follow us on Spot, and gauge our pace.

I'll stop and check voice and email and ADV private messages in Klamath Falls.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #4785
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
What AlbertaStrom picked up at Bass Pro?

Ft. McLeod for supper? You can really stalk someone good when they're carrying a Spot, eh?
Bass Pro Shop took a few $ today. Dinner in Choteau MT, much nicer than Browning where I thought I might stay tonight. What a great drive!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?kp3imy
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote