Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #16
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,150
Camping on the WRT is a wonderful experience, you can get the needed permit at the ranger station/info center at Canyonlands NP. Leave in the morning, setup camp, go explore on wheels or on foot and really relax and take it all it instead of blasting through it. Night time is most enjoyable and its a very quiet place to experience.

I've never made reservations as I always was just passing through while wandering and have been lucky many times, if you know when you're coming no reason to not to reserve a site though.

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/whiterimroad.htm

Like mentioned, no reason not to ride it alone if you have a good plan setup with friends or family, a SPOT helps too. Chances are you'll get found by other folks on the trail if you break down, but it's good to have a backup plan too.

Sunrise on the WRT

Have fun!

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #17
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Does anybody know if there is cell service in the island in the sky area? -al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #18
De Eee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
That sunrise pic is surreal/awesome.
De Eee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
Exploron
exploron

Oddometer: 79
I've ridden it twice solo on a Husky TE 610. Both times counter-clockwise. I won't do it in June again.
It's a breath-taking ride.
If you leave and return to Moab, it's a long day's ride. I always went up to Seven Mile and then in by way of Mineral Canyon rd and out Potash, so the Long Canyon approach is probably quicker. I'll have to try that next time.
However, Mineral Canyon rd does offer flat out top-speed runs as well as free boondock camping.
Once on the WRT, the roaming park service ranger will likely stop you at some point and remind you of the speed limit and see if you have your park pass. If not, he will sell you one on the spot.
You may not see many moto riders. There can be gobs of bicyclists, though, so keep an eye out for them.
The sheer drop offs will get your attention and deserve caution.
Enjoy!
Exploron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #20
chucky004
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Lee View Post
Anyone interested in riding the White Rim trail in Canyonlands Natl. Park near Moab, UT? I am thinking about sometime the 1st 2 weeks of May.
I would plan on camping at least one night.

I ride a 2008 KLR

Thanks,
Lee
I would be interested in going. My friends keep backing out on me, and I am to the point I would go ride it myself. I have an 11 klr, and my schedule is flexible.
chucky004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #21
Colorado_Lee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky004 View Post
I would be interested in going. My friends keep backing out on me, and I am to the point I would go ride it myself. I have an 11 klr, and my schedule is flexible.
Two of us are going to ride it Fri. May 4. We will camp the night before on Mineral Bottom rd. Let me know if you want to meet us. The more the better!

-Lee
Colorado_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #22
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Camping on the WRT is a wonderful experience, you can get the needed permit at the ranger station/info center at Canyonlands NP. Leave in the morning, setup camp, go explore on wheels or on foot and really relax and take it all it instead of blasting through it. Night time is most enjoyable and its a very quiet place to experience.

I've never made reservations as I always was just passing through while wandering and have been lucky many times, if you know when you're coming no reason to not to reserve a site though.

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/whiterimroad.htm

Like mentioned, no reason not to ride it alone if you have a good plan setup with friends or family, a SPOT helps too. Chances are you'll get found by other folks on the trail if you break down, but it's good to have a backup plan too.

I know you didn't buy you a Leica, Joe. You stole it, didn't you . Grats to you.

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße

Tor screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 11:19 AM
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #23
Colorado_Lee OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Two of us are going to ride it Fri. May 4. We will camp the night before on Mineral Bottom rd. Let me know if you want to meet us. The more the better!

-Lee
So are you in or still thinking about it?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #24
chucky004
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
So are you in or still thinking about it?
It sounds good to me.. I was at Deadhorse yesterday, wish I had my bike I would have rode it, there were people everywhere.
chucky004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #25
PilotBoy99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I'm heading down to Utah from Vancouver BC for the month of May on a KTM 990, but probably won't make it to the Moab area until mid May or so.

I'd be keen to hookup with others for WRT. The plan will be to take my time, tie in some side trips along the WRT way, explore, and camp along the way.
PilotBoy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #26
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotBoy99 View Post
I'm heading down to Utah from Vancouver BC for the month of May on a KTM 990, but probably won't make it to the Moab area until mid May or so.

I'd be keen to hookup with others for WRT. The plan will be to take my time, tie in some side trips along the WRT way, explore, and camp along the way.
There will be a group of 4 riders from Alberta in Moab starting May 30th. I'm on a 990, and we will be camping in one of the sites around Moab. WRT is on the agenda with an overnight camp enroute. Stop and say hi if you see us.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #27
fierstf
girl power

Oddometer: 65
I will be leaving the Denver/Boulder area on Monday the 30th for a 2 week trip around CO, UT, and AZ. My first destination will be Moab. I am a woman traveling solo on my 2002 GS 650. I might also see you out there!
fierstf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #28
9.5isCanadian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Well I'll throw my name into this Moab bound pile.
Three of us are coming down from BC to catch the Saltlake WSB, May 28, then into Moab till June 7th.
Owen
9.5isCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #29
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Lee and I had a good time last weekend. We camped in the horsethief campground and rode the wrt in 7 hours at a leisurely pace. -al

ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #30
Colorado_Lee OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
Lee and I had a good time last weekend. We camped in the horsethief campground and rode the wrt in 7 hours at a leisurely pace. -al

Al,

I put PIX in the mail the other day. You should have them soon. It was great riding with you! Lets do it again!

-Lee