User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Keepiru OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Grand Mesa and White River National Forests

This will be my first ride report, so feedback is always welcome. I was coming back from riding motorcycle support for the St. George Ironman and found myself in Grand Junction with a day to get back to Denver. I haven't seen much of this area of the state, so I decided to explore Grand Mesa and White River.

First, a couple pictures from Utah, the Ironman Media Pic and Zion National Park.

Going up over Grand Mesa, everything was closed but the main road, I was hoping to get in a little dirt, but I should have known it wouldn't be likely that high.

The storm clouds are already starting to gather.

Coming out on the north side, I did manage to find one very short dirt road. It started out as and old dirt road, but very quickly turned to a wide gravel road as I got closer to houses. The sign said Old Grand Mesa Road. It had a different label on my map.

After leaving Grand Mesa, I headed west on 330 through Collbran. Immediately after Collbran, the road was a very fun rollercoaster-y ride for a short distance (no pics, was too busy having fun) then turned to gravel, then finally dirt. It let through White River National Forest to Silt.

Nice preview of the upcoming road.

It took me about 5.5 hours to get from Grand Junction to Silt. From there I was overtaken by a wild urge to fight with rain, snow and semis and slabbed it back to Denver.

Here is a My Tracks link of my route from Delta to Silt.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...f27d59dc518073
Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Hey Brandon -- Nice pic here.

However, the Utah weather looks like it was a bit more cooperative than some of that Colorado weather.

Nice meeting you at the St. George Ironman. Give me a "heads up" if/when you come through St. George again.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Keepiru OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Hey Brandon -- Nice pic here.

However, the Utah weather looks like it was a bit more cooperative than some of that Colorado weather.

Nice meeting you at the St. George Ironman. Give me a "heads up" if/when you come through St. George again.
Yeah, Colorado weather was not great, I got snowed on going over Vail pass and up to the Eisenhower tunnel. The morning however, while a little bit grey, was fantastic.

I'll definitely let you know next time I'm in St. George. I was going through your ride reports and I really want to see the Virgin River from the top sometime.

Brandon