User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
legion OP
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,474
Gold Nugget Triathlon

Interested in riding the bike portion of the race with a course marshal on the back? This may be your chance! The organizers are looking for a handful of bikes to volunteer and the course is shown on this link and the race date is May 20, 2012.

Please post up or shoot me a PM if you're interested, and thanks!
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
legion OP
Lard Council

Just in case anybody was unfamiliar with the difference between road racing bicycles and mountain bikes. The nugget will have mostly road bikes.

Road bike:

Mountain bike:

Simple, really. May post more pics later just in case there are any questions. I think the Red Goat Rider is the guy that's probably really *really* at the helm here. Not completely sure. Holler if you have questions, would like to ride around w/ a course marshal on back for a few hours, or just need further clarification as to how to recognize a woman on a road bike. I'm here to help.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
legion OP
Lard Council

This is sort of a cyclocross bike. Bars are a little different.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,705
Berk?

Helikron you looking to do it again?

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,483
Wow, GREAT photos Legion! You sure do know how to advertise for an event!

Makes me wish I still had a bike for hauling a Course Marshall around on like I did on the old Beemer. Fun!

Please tell me that last photo isn't your wife but instead some nice single girl who likes bicycling.

Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,005
Hey Legion I am interested if a 955i Tiger is a suitable M/C.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
legion OP
Lard Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Please tell me that last photo isn't your wife but instead some nice single girl who likes bicycling.
They bear a remarkable resemblance to one another so I'd be all about making a 'trust but verify' pass but that's actually not Pam. The spacing's a little off between the seat and the grips.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
legion OP
Lard Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Hey Legion I am interested if a 955i Tiger is a suitable M/C.
Thanks for volunteering, Druncle! A 955i ought to be more than seatable!

I'm going to see if we can get the real boss in here. I'm guessing that he'll be able to shed some light on what more is needed. Thanks to all!

Yo Red Goat! You in here?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
legion OP
Lard Council

Ok, Gentlemen. Here's what we have...

Heli, Tom357, Druncle; you're in. We could use one more rider if anybody's feeling like they're up for it. There will be a couple of 3 mile sections to roam with a Marshal on the back. They are roughly from the bridge over the highway at Ft Rich then approximately 3mi to the range. The second is roughly from there to the transition where the running portion of the race begins.

There will be two shifts of two riders.

The first shift is from 8a to 12p.

The second shift is from 12p to 4p.

The guys from the first shift should meet up in front of the Red Robin out toward Bartlett HS at roughly 7:30a to grab a Course Marshal and get instructions on where and how. They can then tell the second shift riders how it works at the noon change-out.

Now the question is who wants which shift? You an early riser and want the front stretch? You a complete snooze head and want to show up at the crack of noon?

You pick. Lemme know and we'll take it from there. Thanks again for volunteering. If there are a couple of beanie style helmets amongst the collective we could probably use them as Marshals like to point fingers and occasionally spout disciplinary counsel from the back of the bike and full face helmets aren't the best for that.

Anybody got something that'll work? Thanks again.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
You pick. Lemme know and we'll take it from there. Thanks again for volunteering. If there are a couple of beanie style helmets amongst the collective we could probably use them as Marshals like to point fingers and occasionally spout disciplinary counsel from the back of the bike and full face helmets aren't the best for that.

Anybody got something that'll work? Thanks again.
I will most likely not be in town to help but I have a large Bell Revolver flip up they can borrow. Lemme know.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:21 AM   #11
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,172
A question for Legion

Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
legion OP
Lard Council

The correct answer is no. Not if you're in your car.

However, if you're on your bike and you've got a Course Marshal on the back... it's your solemnly sworn duty and like it or not; you must.

Drunk Uncle, I've got you on the morning shift. Any other preferences or volunteers?
Old 05-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
legion OP
Lard Council

On the course it's important to be able to recognize what a competitor looks like under any circumstances as Marshals may want to turn around at any point and go the other direction, etc. Example # 5 is for your personal edification. Please study hard and be familiar with the various perspectives you may be expected to recognize on race day.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #14
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,005
I will be there with a Nolan N42 helmet for the marshal. Now where is the High School you speak of. I have been Anchorage about one week.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #15
legion OP
Lard Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
I will most likely not be in town to help but I have a large Bell Revolver flip up they can borrow. Lemme know.
Perfect. Might take you up on that as we get closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle
Now where is the High School you speak of. I have been Anchorage about one week.
Hmmm. Might be easier to meet you somewhere and lead you in, Drunk. Here's a map to Bartlett HS but the morning meeting will be right out in front of the Red Robin Restaurant which is around the corner from Barlett. The whole scene will be a boar's nest that morning and being on a bike will allow you to jump on the sidewalk and what have you to get around the throng of nervous women and coffee swigging spectators.

See the pink lettering on the map that shows where the Elmendorf AFB Regional Hospital is? Bartlett High School is just to the right of that.

Now, just underneath that Elmendorf AFB Reg Hospital locator is a label on the map that says "Oilwell Road"... and just underneath the two LL's in oilwell is a white dot. That white dot is an overhead view of the Red Robin Restaurant. We'll meet in the parking lot there before the race for a quick briefing from the race organizers on what do to and where to do it. Before the race I'll PM you my cell phone number so we get all the pre-race communication down without a hitch.

If you'd like we can meet up somewhere else that's familiar to you and I'll lead you in to the race area.

View Larger Map