Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
COMIKE OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Alaska Trip in June from Denver

Hi all

I am planning a solo trip from Denver in Mid June and return in three weeks, about 7,500 miles. Plan on riding the Yellowhead, up the Cassier and to Fairbanks, then to Anchorage and on to Haines, boat to Prince Rupert and home. A couple of questions for those experts who have done this trip:

I am not planning on any off rode rides but just want to see the country. I am riding PR3's. Good enought for this trip or any other suggestions.

What length of tie downs should I take on the boat to PR?

When the boat gets into PR at 3:15 AM, is the boarder office open?

This trip is one of my bucket list things and am anxious to get going. I am planning lots of miles up front on a daily basis and then around 400 once I get to the Cassier and into Alaska.

This Alaska site has been great and thanks to all who have posted places to stay and eat.
07 Suzuki M50
68 Honda CB350
COMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Fighter
Head Gruver

Oddometer: 4,865
[QUOTE=COMIKE;18362978]Hi all

When the boat gets into PR at 3:15 AM, is the boarder office open?

Most definitely.
It's less than a hundred yards from where the ferry ties up.
Once you break through, you're good to go until you hit the states (lesser 48).
It will be dark and you might be waiting a bit to check through. At that time of the morning... not much else will be open, but that town does gather some revenue from the ferry traffic.

Moby Dicks might be open for breakfast and most likely a fuel station farther down on your left. If you're planning to make some quick miles out of PR, fuel in Haines. Probably cheaper.

Regular length tie downs plus a hunk or two of manageable sized rope.
Some fabric soft ties if you're really anal.

Good luck, ride safely. You'll enjoy the boat.

Fite
Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
COMIKE OP
Adventurer

Fighter

Thanks. I think I will buy some tie downs at Walmart so I don't have to carry with me. Some people have been saying 12 foot tie downs and some 6 foot. I will probably go with the 10 foot to play it safe.

Anyone out there with tire information? Because I will be riding on paved highways I would guess just new tires for the trip to and from Alaska.

Thanks
COMIKE
07 Suzuki M50
68 Honda CB350
Old 04-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Fighter
Head Gruver

Oddometer: 4,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMIKE View Post
Fighter

Thanks. I think I will buy some tie downs at Walmart so I don't have to carry with me. Some people have been saying 12 foot tie downs and some 6 foot. I will probably go with the 10 foot to play it safe.

Anyone out there with tire information? Because I will be riding on paved highways I would guess just new tires for the trip to and from Alaska.

Thanks
COMIKE
Sounds good.
I carry shipping straps that I usually beg from bike shops.
Most shops give them away.
The ones used to strap down BM's work extremely well.
They pack up tight and save space.
I also pack a small skein of parachute cord and a pocket knife so I can cut it to length.

Sure as heck... if you buy 10 footers, you'll end up 11 feet from a suitable tie-down point. That's why I go with parachute cord. If you are concerned with the strength of it, double it up. The stuff works great for other traveling tasks.

Home-made soft ties (1 inch nylon webbing sewed end to end to form a 12 in. diameter circle) allow a variety of ways to attach to the bars/bike that won't leave a wear mark. Also handy for that no-mar lash-up of gear.
I like this set-up because it's inexpensive, strong, and packs tight. If you lose them.... it's no big deal.

Commercial heavy duty straps are spendy and bulky.
Plus.... they are overkill in my mind.

You're not sailing through Katrina!!

The ferry from Haines to Rupert is mostly inside passage water as it does not cross the Gulf of Alaska.
Generally very smooth.
I have ferry sailed it probably a dozen times.
It's a very memorable experience.

Now get down to your local dealer and grab some of those shipping straps.
The $$$ you save will help offset my bar tab.
Fite
Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
chfite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I would have new tires at the start of the trip. Roads seemed to be hard on tires when I went in 2010. I never expected to spend $320 for a new tire in BC, but my rear had gone to the cord in half the expected time. Back home, I remounted the half-used rear that I had removed prior to the trip after the high dollar one wore out.

Your daily mileage will be dictated by the spacing of fuel. Everything closes around 9 p.m.

Fabulous trip awaits you.

Chris
chfite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
gharnden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Great trip

You should be fine on a new set of tires. If not, by the time you need some, you will be back into the northern part of the States. As far as tie downs, I took 8 regular straps. That way, if you need to hook a couple together to get some needed length, you are set. I have done this twice in the last 3 years and loved it. Upper BC and the Yukon is amazing. The ferry was very relaxing and by the time you dock at PR, you will be charged up and ready to go again.
gharnden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,112
I don't know what kind of bike you ride and haven't used the PR3 yet. I have gone through two sets of PR2s and usually change them every season to start with fresh grip, but have usually gotten about 7k miles and never hit the wear indicator on a 06 Triumph Sprint ST 1050. Its almost always shall we say spirited riding on that bike.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
COMIKE OP
Adventurer

You guys have been great. Sorry I did not respond right away but have been busy and out of computer touch. Can't wait for the trip. Yep, new tires just before I leave and probably some tie downs to take along.
07 Suzuki M50
68 Honda CB350
Old 05-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #9
ElMoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Alaska

You got a PM
ElMoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,910
Don't mean to hijack but I'm planning an impulse ride from Colorado Springs to AK in July.

It appears COMIKE has his ferry reservation but I'm late to the game. How common are openings from a cancellation? Does anyone know if the ferry will make an exception for a bike?

I'm trying to catch the ferry from Bellingham to Haines. I just want to ride one way. I prefer down from Anchorage to WA.

Thanks
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Mike, concerning tires, we left here ,Pagosa Springs, on the RT double up with all camping for a 28 day trip to AK and back. I mounted new Bridgestone 023, ran 44 pounds in each one all the way up and back.

We turned around at the Circle because of construction/6 inches of calcium chloride and no gas at Yukon Crossing. The tires were good for the entire trip.

Feel free to ask if we can be of any help.
ciao, gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote