Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #12226
Modus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Not on mine. Both the kickstand and the start in gear safeties still work.
Modus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #12227
NomorBills
WesternExplorer

Oddometer: 138
Jumper

Well I pulled the Jumper wire and ride back home and the stumble is back and the fuel millage goes back up to 46 average.

So I would say that what ever is happening is making it run richer. Just how? or why? makes no sense. Why would the clutch in position change the fuel. Not sure if this is a fix or just a poor tune band aid. I still believe that the right way to get this to run may just be the reflash. That way you get it richer where you need it and not across the full range.

I like the way it runs with the jumper but this reinforces the need to reflash the ecu properly.
NomorBills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #12228
combo
D S N

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomorBills View Post
Well I pulled the Jumper wire and ride back home and the stumble is back and the fuel millage goes back up to 46 average.

So I would say that what ever is happening is making it run richer. Just how? or why? makes no sense. Why would the clutch in position change the fuel. Not sure if this is a fix or just a poor tune band aid. I still believe that the right way to get this to run may just be the reflash. That way you get it richer where you need it and not across the full range.

I like the way it runs with the jumper but this reinforces the need to reflash the ecu properly.
You may be right but I wonder what kind of mileage change are the guys that have had the re-flash done are getting now? I would bet it is lower. These bikes come in on the lean side and it takes fuel increase to make them run right. I am like you as to not understanding what the jumper exactly does to the ECU with fuel on the full range.

All I know for now is mine runs like it should for the full RPM range. Just like a correct jetted carb bike.
I'm sure we will learn more about this as time goes on.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #12229
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,723
Is this working something like the Boosterplugs do for BMWs and Triumphs?

The symptoms and change sound very much the same as my 650 BMW before and after fitting a Boosterplug. It did not increase my mpg at all, if anything it lowered it a little as you didn't have to rev the motor as much off idle.

http://www.boosterplug.com/shop/frontpage.html

How it works.

http://www.boosterplug.com/shop/cms-21.html

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:14 AM   #12230
NicolasR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Overheating

I wonder if the jumpered connector will make the engine to overheat. I mean, that should be like running an engine with the choke on.
Just wondering...!!!
NicolasR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:57 AM   #12231
DinX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Saw a good idea on the S10 forum and did the same. I replaced my paper clip with a mini fuse. They are the exact fit for the connector.

Picture from S10 forum

I did some"butt dyno" tests after that on a long stretch of road (the road through Vogelsanck forest for Too_Tall, the perfect drag strip ). Roll on full throttle runs in 2nd and 3rd gear. The difference is the same as described by the guys with a flashed ECU.
DinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:02 AM   #12232
Too_Tall
The Belgian

Oddometer: 551
You bastard! I was out and about too!

Well I did the test. Went for a ride in T mode. After about 50km I pulled over, put the paperclip in, and rode on.

It does smooth out the lower end considerably. It just pulls and pulls, all the way into the top range. Revs alot smoother and easyer now.

Went on a flat strech of road, flat bit, speed at 80kph. I blocked my throttle hand. Reached over with the other hand and pulled the paperclip out. No change in speed or rpm, but consumption went from 5 to 4.7. Did the same thing on the motorway at 120 kph, again a drop of 0.4-0.5 in consumption. SO I do wonder about when it has an effect, because I thought it was only in 2+3 gear? I was surely in 6th...

Went home. Thought it over. Did this;

1 = hyperspace
0 = no hyperspace

Old 05-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #12233
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,748
No Change!

In gas milage with the clutch switch mod on my bike. 200km yesterday and got 53mpg Imperial/ 42.2 mpg U.S. Thats calculated by filling and taking milage since the last fill. Hit 100 mph couple of times. No water temperature change.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #12234
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasR View Post
I wonder if the jumpered connector will make the engine to overheat. I mean, that should be like running an engine with the choke on.
Just wondering...!!!
It should do the opposite. A lean motor will run hot, potentially overheating. This mod is causing the motor to run rich. If it's too rich it could foul plugs, but it won't make it run hotter.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #12235
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,722
Just had to try this so took a 15amp mini fuse, turned the connectors sideways and plugged it in. In my very unscientific survey I'd say it works as others have described. Really pulls hard in 2 & 3 especially. Almost scary since I didn't know what to expect. In a nutshell, I'd say it makes a 3rd throttle mapping mode, I'd call 'Super Sport'. Once I gave it a good run I put the stock plug back in to see how this all shakes out. Might have to mod up a switch if this turns out to be long term safe and reliable.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #12236
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,392
Tenere test drive

Just stopped in at Birds of Prey Motorsports, Caldwell, ID and took the Tenere for a test drive. A lot more wind buffeting than I anticipated, reminded me of the 990 ADV. Suspension must need to break in, it was definitely stiff and I am 6'3" and 280#. It also showed 38 mpg on the readout, again KTM 990 numbers with the same size tank. The fuel consumption might have been my fault.. Extremely stable bike and point shoot kind of ride. I am not sure I was sold in the first 5 minutes or not. Just not sure if it is THE bike for me. But a nice bike, if only I could ride it for a week or a month.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #12237
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
Just stopped in at Birds of Prey Motorsports, Caldwell, ID and took the Tenere for a test drive. A lot more wind buffeting than I anticipated, reminded me of the 990 ADV.
Yep.

Quote:
Suspension must need to break in, it was definitely stiff and I am 6'3" and 280#.
Yep

Quote:
It also showed 38 mpg on the readout, again KTM 990 numbers with the same size tank. The fuel consumption might have been my fault..
Yep. They get between 4.5L/100 and 6.5l/100 after break in.

Quote:
Extremely stable bike and point shoot kind of ride. I am not sure I was sold in the first 5 minutes or not.
No one is. It not really design to be a round the block marvel.

Quote:
Just not sure if it is THE bike for me. But a nice bike, if only I could ride it for a week or a month.
Yep. Try and imagine it with more go, less fuel consumption and softer suspension. If on the other hand it had already done 5000 miles then not much will change.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #12238
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Picked up my bike yesterday. Enjoyed a nice 100+ degree day today to do some break-in mileage.

Rode up to Lake Pleasant. This sign would have turned me back on any of my previous bikes.

The only real issue I have is the wind buffeting my head around. I'm going to look into all the screen options.

I did have an add-on Laminar Lip around I use on the Buell, so I thought I'd try it out. It's really low and might be cooler for these hot desert days.

What do you gents think?

Side view:

Old 05-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #12239
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
Picked up my bike yesterday. Enjoyed a nice 100+ degree day today to do some break-in mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
What do you gents think?
Looks OK to me. More importantly does it work for you?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #12240
marc-s
photographer

Oddometer: 103
I own an old S10 (xtz750) and am more or less happy with it. No way I'm going to buy any new bike soon, so my questions are just out of genuine interest for new bikes: how does the new s10 perform in terms of roadside repairs? The old s10 is a pain in the ass as for almost everything you need to take away lots of fairing and the fuel tank and air filter box if you want to access the carbs. changing the spark plugs is a mess if you don't have a very small tool and hands like a child (and even then you're advised to remove the radiator). sparks are everywhere: near the battery, under the tank... haven't found them all yet). But at least you can do a lot of fixing by yourself and you can use lots of parts from other bikes). And draining fuel near the fuel pump for refilling your gas stove is possible without removing the fairing (nice!).

so how does the new s10 compare to the old one and - more important - to other adventure bikes? is it a high tech bomber that needs an authorized dealer even for washing it, or is it an Enfield, that has virtually nothing that could break. and if it breaks, you can fix it with tape and a hammer.
marc-s is offline   Reply With Quote