Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 05:02 AM   #31
60HzShuffle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
You know that is a 2011 right? For 2012 they redesigned the front end. I ended up buying a 2012 TL and love the car. I got the base model (also called the premium model lol). I drove the AWD model and it felt heavy and gets 5 to 6 mpg worse (305hp versus the 280hp engine in my car). The computer is averaging 26.3 mpg with a mix of city, slow Atlanta rush hour traffic and highway. Interior is nice and way more tech-y than my friend's 5 series. As much driving as I do to clients, it was probably the best option for me ( I am a CPA - warned the dealer that I am cheap walking in).

Priced similarly to a g-35 sedan (assuming you can haggle Infiniti down to around 35k), it was a 'no contest' for me as I though the Acura looked a lot nicer than the G35. If you are seriously looking for a new sedan, I would encourage people to drive one. I drove Accords for 12 years and am a Honda fan, but I can tell you this is no Accord (not that they aren't great cars). I will admit I liked the Infiniti's but it was the G37 coupe and M37 that I liked which were wayyyy more expensive. I would have liked a 5 series too, but that would have been 10 to 15k more than I wanted to spend (or could get away with without a divorce). They were some fugly years on the TL, but I like mine.

This car will probably go to one of my kids in 4 years or so when I can rationalize paying more for a car. Don't knock until you drive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post

60HzShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #32
bodhisattva65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
While Honda's and Acura's a both great cars. Go drive them back to back. Drive the Accord and then the TL then you will see the difference. And you will see why you pay more for the Acura. My mother has the TL and I owned an Integra. both drove better than my BMW 3 series.
bodhisattva65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #33
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhisattva65 View Post
While Honda's and Acura's a both great cars. Go drive them back to back. Drive the Accord and then the TL then you will see the difference. And you will see why you pay more for the Acura. My mother has the TL and I owned an Integra. both drove better than my BMW 3 series.
You must have one old 3-series. There isn't a front wheel drive car sold in the US that can drive better than a modern 3-series. Hell, there are really aren't any rear driver's that can out drive a 3-series. It is honestly one of the best handling sedans ever. Now Acura is a sewing machine reliable (or used to be) vehicle with a rabid fan base - but that comparison is nuts.

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #34
gogogordy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,906
3-series

Quote:
The BMW 3 series has and continues to be the one to beat in that segment. It's the car other manufacturers aspire to produce, but...they don't.

I'm not saying there aren't other great cars out there, but there is only 1 BMW 3 series.

The Japanese manufacturers are famous for putting their spin, on a popualr design (typically someone else's) and The 3 series is the guiding light for many manufacturers in the small, sport sedan segment.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:03 AM   #35
60HzShuffle
Gnarly Adventurer

The BMW 3 series is much smaller than my TL and I have time in both. Interior room is closer to my friend's 5 series so not sure that is apples to apples. Anyway, I like Bimmers so not knocking them, I just don't think a TL to a 3 series is the right comparison.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #36
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60HzShuffle View Post
The BMW 3 series is much smaller than my TL and I have time in both. Interior room is closer to my friend's 5 series so not sure that is apples to apples. Anyway, I like Bimmers so not knocking them, I just don't think a TL to a 3 series is the right comparison.
Mine's a 335, Dad's a TL. More driver legroom in a 3. TL is wider.

His TL is very nice. I'd own one. Has the Technology package. But you do have to slow down on exit ramps. Not in the 335.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #37
60HzShuffle
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
Mine's a 335, Dad's a TL. More driver legroom in a 3. TL is wider.

His TL is very nice. I'd own one. Has the Technology package. But you do have to slow down on exit ramps. Not in the 335.
If he had gotten the AWD/SHD package might be different ;)

Both great cars.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #38
bodhisattva65
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaViking View Post
You must have one old 3-series. There isn't a front wheel drive car sold in the US that can drive better than a modern 3-series. Hell, there are really aren't any rear driver's that can out drive a 3-series. It is honestly one of the best handling sedans ever. Now Acura is a sewing machine reliable (or used to be) vehicle with a rabid fan base - but that comparison is nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
The BMW 3 series has and continues to be the one to beat in that segment. It's the car other manufacturers aspire to produce, but...they don't.

I'm not saying there aren't other great cars out there, but there is only 1 BMW 3 series.

The Japanese manufacturers are famous for putting their spin, on a popualr design (typically someone else's) and The 3 series is the guiding light for many manufacturers in the small, sport sedan segment.
Here goes the apple and oranges argument. having to break down of words and meaning. My Acura's "drove better" not out performed or "drove worse" both are great cars. However if you are holding a gun to my head and all things being equal and I only have one choice. I pick the Acura. Drive ability, maintanance, cost to repair, etc... By the way I currently own a 2011 BMW Z4 35is
Old 04-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #39
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Here goes the apple and oranges argument. having to break down of words and meaning. My Acura's "drove better" not out performed or "drove worse" both are great cars. However if you are holding a gun to my head and all things being equal and I only have one choice. I pick the Acura. Drive ability, maintanance, cost to repair, etc... By the way I currently own a 2011 BMW Z4 35is
Ok - this is getting pretty schizophrenic because calling a Z4 a 3-series is confusing as hell. Do they share engines? Yes, but 'driving better' usually is weighted more to chassis dynamics more than engine power. And comparing a 2-door convertible to a 4-door sedan just ain't worth doing...apples and oranges indeed.

Your point about cost of maintenance and repair is well taken - BMW's ain't cheap to own. But after recommending a TL to friend as a car for his oldest daughter to take to school because of Acura's reputation for quality - I ended up eating my words after he had to replace the tranny shortly after buying it. Googling that found so many transmission issues from Acura/Honda that I'll never think of recommending one based on their reliability again. They have become par with the other manufacturers as far as quality goes. Hell, when consumer reports pulls the Odyssey minivan from its recommended list - that speaks volumes given their love for Honda since the beginning of time.

Are they still good cars for the money - yeap, are they the Acura/Honda of yesterday, not a chance. They really have lost their way and I used to love them. They always had more personality than Toyota/Lexus and drove TONS better, but they are really building a better Buick now.

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #40
bodhisattva65
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaViking View Post
Ok - this is getting pretty schizophrenic because calling a Z4 a 3-series is confusing as hell. Do they share engines? Yes, but 'driving better' usually is weighted more to chassis dynamics more than engine power. And comparing a 2-door convertible to a 4-door sedan just ain't worth doing...apples and oranges indeed.

Your point about cost of maintenance and repair is well taken - BMW's ain't cheap to own. But after recommending a TL to friend as a car for his oldest daughter to take to school because of Acura's reputation for quality - I ended up eating my words after he had to replace the tranny shortly after buying it. Googling that found so many transmission issues from Acura/Honda that I'll never think of recommending one based on their reliability again. They have become par with the other manufacturers as far as quality goes. Hell, when consumer reports pulls the Odyssey minivan from its recommended list - that speaks volumes given their love for Honda since the beginning of time.

Are they still good cars for the money - yeap, are they the Acura/Honda of yesterday, not a chance. They really have lost their way and I used to love them. They always had more personality than Toyota/Lexus and drove TONS better, but they are really building a better Buick now.
Excuse me I OWNED A 3 SERIES. NOW CURRENTLY OWN A Z4. My 3 spent more time at the shop for stupid shit the Acura's never went to the shop. 3 series 2 recalls, put 100k on the Acura 0 problems.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #41
Goggles Paisano
AKA Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 1,421
My integra has nearly 500, 000kms on it. Original clutch lasted 400, 000 until the throwout bearing went. There was still meat on the disc. Original motor, trans exc...Motor has never been rebuilt, nor the trans. Small things like an alternator or two, couple of rads, wheel bearings, brake rotors, stuff like that. Nothing big(knock on wood).

I'm trying for one million k's. Its taken me almost 15 years to get to this mileage. Dunno if I can drive one car for thirty years, but I am a cheap bastard. I won't buy a KLR because they cost too much.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #42
LATJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawalaser View Post
wake me up when they release a second generation of Legion's ride

Ahem...

Save 5 bucks when signing up for SmugMug. Enter coupon code: hgeNbdcSOWAXM
LATJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #43
The Other Allan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
The best car I ever owned was a 92 Integra LS. The only time it didn't run was when the ignition coil went. Otherwise, it was a champ with the 5 speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
Nick and Pete-y suck

I sealcoated his driveway a few years ago and went to school with his half-sister (40-something years younger than him).
The Other Allan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: